Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

are 350z engines forged?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005 | 01:34 PM
MIAPLAYA

I agree with the other F/i guys here. 11k+ miles at 8 PSI on my Turbonetics kit and no issues. With a good tune the motor is fine under boost.
Old 10-31-2005 | 01:36 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member
Premier Member

tonio,

i assume you are talking about me....

well i am not posting any "false" information, since there are no facts in my thread other than many people say their engines blew with a little boost.

all i am saying is that the VQ is not the optimal engine to blow....nor can it handle boost as safely as many other engines....foreign or domestic

thats what the original posted wanted to know...and now he knows
Old 10-31-2005 | 01:50 PM
makim
Banned

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Does the VQ have to make 1500hp on stock internals for people to see its internals are strong enough for boost? Jeeeezus...Im actually amazed at how many 400-500rwhp Z's are out there many with stock ..If the VQ was blowing up around 300rwhp on FI I would say its got weak internals for FI...Is it a 2JZ No? But it aint wimpy engine either...
i think to most people vq seems like a weak engine, because its far from being a monster like 4g63 or 2jz
in its strenght i would compare it to civic si motor
Old 10-31-2005 | 02:12 PM
barthelb
Master
Premier Member

This thread is getting rediculous. The motor was never meant to be FI'd.
Nothing lasts forever. The fact I have 18k miles on my setup is amazing. Can it take boost sure! I see every day. Is it optimum, no! Do civics make Twice the horsepower they come with, if yes then yeah i'd say they are just as strong. If no then you can't compare.

As for 4g63 or 2jz (whatever) When you buy bulk and the parts are made for an application, sure you can "over engineer" certain things and remain cost evective.

If you need more boost build the engine. Its a no brainer.
Also remember, you have to pay to play.

THis point in time there should be no more what if's or how much can it take? Can I run 8 or 9psi? Over 450 and your pushing it. And everyone knows it. Can it take it sure, for how long? Who knows. But the damn thing can take boost already.
Old 10-31-2005 | 02:26 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by makim
i think to most people vq seems like a weak engine, because its far from being a monster like 4g63 or 2jz
It's not fair to compare the 4g63 or the 2Jz Supra motor because they are both turbo charged from the factory and were set up to be stronger for boost. I bet if a new Supra comes out and it is NA, it will be in the same boat as the 350Z motor.

Mid to low 400's is fine for the stock block. Put some forged internals and it will be right up there with most Supras. Put some sleeves in and it will can go over 1000-1500 RWHP.

My opinion is if the car is tuned right you can have a reliable 400 - 450 RWHP car.
Old 10-31-2005 | 02:32 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by tonio
You guys have to be kidding me.. apparently you guys do not read this forum with the statements you are making. Right now I hit 11psi on a regular basis on a stock block with no problems, 5000 miles and running strong. Before you post false information you need to do your research, especially if you do not have experience with a Z or G with a Supercharger or Twin Turbos.
No problems YET. You're definetly rolling the dice here. The keywords are reliably. Your engines days are numbered. I will be waiting for the "post titled "100,000 mile @ 11psi on a regular basis". Then I will sing the praises of this motor. Until then I'm skeptical about anything over 9psi living til the 100,000 mile mark.

Respect
JET
Old 10-31-2005 | 02:48 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by HarvesterUT
ive been an avid forum-goer for the past few years. the general consensus of this board is that your VQ will probably blow something if your running a stock block if your over 5psi. even if you have a "quality tune" you're bound to have something fail. i have seen dozens and dozens of people post about how some so-called "safe-tune" still blew their engine's up....forged internals or not.
WRONG...the general consensus has become: You NEED to pull timing and tune the car well when running boost on a motor with 10.3:1 compression. There are more boosted Zs that EVER on this forum and you see less and less blown motor threads. There is a reason for this. Common sense should be kicking in right about now.

sure there are plenty of people running 400whp stock blocks out there...and there are plenty of blown motors, too. 5-6psi is not much for an engine...but ours seems to not take kindly to it compared to say......some other import 4 bangers. the man asked about the VQs ability to get blown and i told him....they are notorious for blowing up.
If you understood anything about stress on engine internals under high power levels you'd know that some motors blowing up at 5-6psi and others running without issues over 10psi does NOT point to engine internal weakness as an issue. It's ALL IN THE TUNE...for the second time.

the man asked if the internals are forged and if they are strong for boost. IMHO they are not able to reliably handle any boost unless you get some beefy parts.

other than that.....i am amazed at how much power some people are attaining!
Contradict yourself much???

In your opinion?? Are you an engine expert or do you build engines for a living?? You only know what you've read on this forum. There are PLENTY of guys...including myself...that are running the stock VQ on boost at very stout power levels without any issues at all. Futhermore...it's not like it's going to take 50k miles on boost to blow up a motor. If the internals can't handle the power they will fail VERY quickly. The VQs internals are PLENTY strong for boost. The VQ uses a forged crankshaft that is one of the strongest available in any production car today. The VQ also uses lightweight forged connecting rods. They are not the overkill forged rods that are available in the aftermarket..but for decent power levels they have proven themselves to be just fine.

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 10-31-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2005 | 02:53 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

You're comparing the VQ to the B16A??? HAHAHAHA...you've got to be kidding.
Old 10-31-2005 | 02:56 PM
D350Z10

Many people have gotten by with greddy kits @ 8psi making 400 rwhp.... The Vq will be perfect with the stock boost on those kits.
Old 10-31-2005 | 03:53 PM
calimarc

With all due respect to the people who chose Greddy ....the kit itself just points to how critical tuning is. I did not know anything about F.I. and what I learned came from reading this forum for a year. I made my decision knowing that there would be risk. There is risk even with a built motor because the 350Z is still being pioneered regarding F.I. - especially at above 500 whp. My car sure is fun at it's power level but I am planing a build for a little more power and more peace of mind....hopefully later rather than sooner.

Last edited by calimarc; 10-31-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2005 | 04:18 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Oh gosh...this thread is going downhill fast.

FYI, our stock rods are forged...just a weak factory forging...the pistons are cast alloy.
Old 11-01-2005 | 07:58 AM
makim
Banned

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
You're comparing the VQ to the B16A??? HAHAHAHA...you've got to be kidding.
what??
only in terms of it overall strenght, ie block, internals
b16 is a very good engine.

Again im not saying civic is better then 350, im only talking about engines

i think people should face the fact that vq is not a gem of engineering
its a relativelly weak and inexpensive engine, build to fit most of nissan/renault cars
Old 11-01-2005 | 08:51 AM
G35sDriver

https://my350z.com/forum/poll.php?do...ts&pollid=1359
52 people responded to the poll (excluding the first and last two) of blown engines.

I'm sure there are even more people who havn't responded in regards to a blown VQ35.

Take it for what you will.

Last edited by G35sDriver; 11-01-2005 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-01-2005 | 09:16 AM
g356gear

Crank is forged as well.
Old 11-01-2005 | 10:11 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

what??
only in terms of it overall strenght, ie block, internals
b16 is a very good engine.

Again im not saying civic is better then 350, im only talking about engines

i think people should face the fact that vq is not a gem of engineering
its a relativelly weak and inexpensive engine, build to fit most of nissan/renault cars
B16 block sleeves fail at very modest power levels... the b16 is a great engine when it's built up...but can make nowhere near 400whp (power that VQs make easily) without an engine build.

As for the engineering that went into the VQ..you have obviously have no idea where it's roots lay.

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 11-01-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-01-2005 | 10:14 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by g356gear
Crank is forged as well.
+1

Performance motorsport still uses the STOCK crankshaft in their 6 second outlaw drag car. If that doesn't speak volumes about the VQ strength...I don't know what does.
Old 11-01-2005 | 10:46 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

the cranks in most motors are forged though....nothing exciting there
Old 11-01-2005 | 10:53 AM
makim
Banned

B16 block sleeves fail at very modest power levels... the b16 is a great engine when it's built up...but can make nowhere near 400whp.
yeah, cause its a 1.6l engine......
As for the engineering that went into the VQ..you have obviously have no idea where it's roots lay.
well tell me about the engineering, you probably work for Renault and know the whole engineering department

you obviously know little about engines, and even less about marketing/cost cutting and mass production
Old 11-01-2005 | 11:00 AM
makim
Banned

+1

Performance motorsport still uses the STOCK crankshaft in their 6 second outlaw drag car. If that doesn't speak volumes about the VQ strength...I don't know what does.

they use stock crank, because its forged,and it doesnt make sense to use a racing (counterbalanced) crank for drag racing.
counter balancing adds unnecessery weight, which puts more stresses on the bearings etc etc
Old 11-01-2005 | 12:04 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

well tell me about the engineering, you probably work for Renault and know the whole engineering department

you obviously know little about engines, and even less about marketing/cost cutting and mass production
Renault?? There's your first mistake. The VQ has been around since WELL before Renault and Nissan came together in 1999.

Here's some schooling for you on the history of the VQ:
Nissan originally designed the VQ for a European RACING series that never got off the ground in the early 90s. Shortly after, instead of scrapping a fantastic engine design they decided to start putting it in factory cars such as the Cedric/Gloria in Japan (which were TURBOCHARGED), and the Maxima in the US. The VQ is NOT a cheap, economy motor. It has the most stout crankshaft assembly of any production V6 in the world, has great breathing 4 cam, 4 valve heads, a very stout (as far as open deck aluminum designs are concerned) block. and a strong and durable timing chain setup that is hydraulically tensioned and requires no maitenence whatsoever. Furthermore, the VQ is currently Nissan bread and butter racing powerplant, used mainly in the JGTC.

The VQ wasn't designed to be put into many different vehicles...those vehicles were designed around the VQ. The VQ was around well before all the vehicles that it currently resides in were even conceived. The cost effectiveness of this whole operation is the fact that they put one fantastic motor design into 80% of the cars they build.

So why don't you go tell me again how I don't know WTF I'm talking about...

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 11-01-2005 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply: are 350z engines forged?