Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

are 350z engines forged?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 12:05 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by makim
they use stock crank, because its forged,and it doesnt make sense to use a racing (counterbalanced) crank for drag racing.
counter balancing adds unnecessery weight, which puts more stresses on the bearings etc etc
Weren't you calling the VQ "weak" earlier in this thread? Contradict yourself much?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:20 PM
SnakeBitten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Renault?? There's your first mistake. The VQ has been around since WELL before Renault and Nissan came together in 1999.

Here's some schooling for you on the history of the VQ:
Nissan originally designed the VQ for a European RACING series that never got off the ground in the early 90s. Shortly after, instead of scrapping a fantastic engine design they decided to start putting it in factory cars such as the Cedric/Gloria in Japan (which were TURBOCHARGED), and the Maxima in the US. The VQ is NOT a cheap, economy motor. It has the most stout crankshaft assembly of any production V6 in the world, has great breathing 4 cam, 4 valve heads, a very stout (as far as open deck aluminum designs are concerned) block. and a strong and durable timing chain setup that is hydraulically tensioned and requires no maitenence whatsoever. Furthermore, the VQ is currently Nissan bread and butter racing powerplant, used mainly in the JGTC.

The VQ wasn't designed to be put into many different vehicles...those vehicles were designed around the VQ. The VQ was around well before all the vehicles that it currently resides in were even conceived. The cost effectiveness of this whole operation is the fact that they put one fantastic motor design into 80% of the cars they build.

So why don't you go tell me again how I don't know WTF I'm talking about...
Thanks for the info...I didnt know that the VQ had such a storied history....
Old 11-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Things you need to be safe:

1. Get educated about your car
2. Get a good tuner
3. Get the necessary parts

That's it, you take one of those out, and that's how a motor gets a new window or two.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by G35sDriver
https://my350z.com/forum/poll.php?do...ts&pollid=1359
52 people responded to the poll (excluding the first and last two) of blown engines.

I'm sure there are even more people who havn't responded in regards to a blown VQ35.

Take it for what you will.
I also requested that thread be taken down, at least unstuck.

It doesn't put any responsibility to the voters to answer as to if they really voted truly or not.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:07 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Brandon@Forged
Things you need to be safe:

1. Get educated about your car
2. Get a good tuner
3. Get the necessary parts

That's it, you take one of those out, and that's how a motor gets a new window or two.
+1000
Old 11-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

+1

Performance motorsport still uses the STOCK crankshaft in their 6 second outlaw drag car. If that doesn't speak volumes about the VQ strength...I don't know what does.
Brian, I spoke to Vinny Tran and Andrew Rubio today at SEMA. I saw their 6sec drag car up close and personal. I asked about the crank...I can assure it...its not stock. They were snapping stock cranks at 1300whp....this car makes 1800whp+

In fact, the only thing OEM on this car is the physical block, and the physical heads. Of course both have been thoroughly worked over.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 11-01-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Brian, I spoke to Vinny Tran and Andrew Rubio today at SEMA. I saw their 6sec drag car up close and personal. I asked about the crank...I can assure it...its not stock. They were snapping stock cranks at 1300whp....this car makes 1800whp+

In fact, the only thing OEM on this car is the physical block, and the physical heads. Of course both have been thoroughly worked over.
For the 8.33 pass, I believe it was using the stock crank, I think they were at around 1200 RWHP at the time, i'm not positive on this though.

So what is the latest fastest time for their 350Z?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:36 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

According to their website they use a balanced and microfinished stock crank. So their information that they are telling you and what they have posted on their website is contradictory.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Nealoc187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol @ the VQ and B16A strength comparison...
Old 11-02-2005, 01:53 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

According to their website they use a balanced and microfinished stock crank. So their information that they are telling you and what they have posted on their website is contradictory.
Their website is probably not up to date. He mentioned they ran stock cranks up to 1300whp and then on the third pass, it snapped. Vinny runs the team, and he told me their cranks are built for them...not just modded. He mentioned the guy that builds it.. but I dont recall the guy's name. It just makes sense...that a stock VQ crank is not going to launch 1800whp and survive 6sec passes.

That said, the stock VQ crank is probably one of the strongest OEM cranks on the planet. 1300whp is nothing to sneeze it. No normal street car will even need an upgraded crank, IMHO.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:30 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

That said, the stock VQ crank is probably one of the strongest OEM cranks on the planet. 1300whp is nothing to sneeze it. No normal street car will even need an upgraded crank, IMHO.
That's the point I was trying to make.