Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

are 350z engines forged?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 01:29 AM
02gt350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are 350z engines forged?

just wondering what the compression ratio is and if the internals are strong. for boost
Old 10-31-2005, 02:22 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

10.3:1 or something like that...maybe 10.1:1......and no the internals are not forged....in fact the VQ engine is notorious for blowing up under boost.....
Old 10-31-2005, 02:27 AM
02gt350

Originally Posted by HarvesterUT
10.3:1 or something like that...maybe 10.1:1......and no the internals are not forged....in fact the VQ engine is notorious for blowing up under boost.....
LOVELY! no turbos or supercharger for mine then!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:13 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just be careful of the rods. That's known to be the weakest link. With the experience in the industry now, blown VQ's are getting scarce. MANY, MANY are using stock boost on FI applications and running perfectly fine. Just to be safe, I would upgrade the pistons and rods tho, and also the head and main studs. And you need a good tune.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:15 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question

in fact the VQ engine is notorious for blowing up under boost.....
Can you give me 3 examples? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:26 AM
spacemn_spiff

and no the internals are not forged
Any proof to this?
Old 10-31-2005, 07:05 AM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you please define the word notorious for us then give us an example how that ridiculous statement of yours is true? Aren't there enough stock internal Zs making over 450 rwhp and making 11 second passes to please you yet?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:15 AM
IceBurnzTT

Ok his point was obviously that the Z is notorious for having blown engines if you dont take extra specific precaution to modify additional aspects after going FI. Some cars arent so high maintenance after a FI mod but with our non-forged internals you really have to watch your *** because the power gain with FI is so much. So its not a ridiculous example anyone thats been on these forums long enough knows especially when the GReddy TT came out people went through engines like crazy.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:30 AM
TK2005

Originally Posted by IceBurnzTT
Ok his point was obviously that the Z is notorious for having blown engines if you dont take extra specific precaution to modify additional aspects after going FI. Some cars arent so high maintenance after a FI mod but with our non-forged internals you really have to watch your *** because the power gain with FI is so much. So its not a ridiculous example anyone thats been on these forums long enough knows especially when the GReddy TT came out people went through engines like crazy.
Could you please quantify "going though engines like crazy" please? Would it be safe to say that "most" people that have gone FI have gone through multiple engines? Of those multiple engines, how many went through more than a second engine? What "precaution to modify additional aspects" are you talking about? Do you mean a good tune? I thought you were supposed to get those anyway. Are you saying that it is impossible to take the kit and bolt it to an otherwise bone stock car and have it work? I don't understand your post. Could you help me out since you have been on this forum "long enough", as you say but not according to your join date, with some of this?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:43 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correction: They are notorious for letting go when tortured with unsafe levels of boost and bad ECU tunning. The engine is safe and reliable up to maybe 9psi snd 400RWHP, with a tune from someone who knows what they is doing.

The Turbonetics single turbo is extremely safe on a stock block with the Turbonetics reflashed ECU.

Respect
JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 10-31-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:07 AM
Nismo 350z

^ Is that true? I was thinking of getting that kit but i was always worried about blowing my block because I was going to leave the internals alone.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:12 AM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Correction: They are notorious for letting go when tortured with unsafe levels of boost and bad ECU tunning.
What engine isnt???? There is a guy that has over 500rwhp on stock internals that Ive read about on this forum and many with over 500 crank hp ....Does the VQ have to make 1500hp on stock internals for people to see its internals are strong enough for boost? Jeeeezus...Im actually amazed at how many 400-500rwhp Z's are out there many with stock internals.....Im not seeing a whole lot of threads about peoples engines blowing up....Maybe because I just joined the forums...But I camp out in the FI section on every visit and I just dont see those kinds of posts poping up constantly...If the VQ was blowing up around 300rwhp on FI I would say its got weak internals for FI...Is it a 2JZ No? But it aint wimpy engine either...
Old 10-31-2005, 09:25 AM
TK2005

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
^ Is that true? I was thinking of getting that kit but i was always worried about blowing my block because I was going to leave the internals alone.
Yes sir. It is absolutely true. A reputable shop can take your car to near 450rwhp with no engine work done. Some have gone further but only time will tell how long they lasy. Big power for 350s is still new. When I was building my 300zxtt, people said we had to build the engine by the time we got to 400rwhp. People now know that there are stock 300ZX motors making over 700rwhp. As long as Performance Motorsports can keep pressing the limits of the VQ, so can we. Performance Motorsports has built a near 2000hp 6 second race car. I think we aren't even close to finding out what a street car can hold.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:21 AM
Forrest80

only thing i wonder about is, how long will a supercharged engine last? or turbo for that matter, i got a feeling my nissan engine will last 200,000 miles really easy, but what will a SC/TURBO last?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:12 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 300hp engines supposedly have some stronger internals versus the 287 variant. I forget which parts though.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:54 PM
MPowerKai

Ryan350zPower has nothing done to the internals of his engine and he is nearing 400 ponies to the wheels with his turbonetics kit
Old 10-31-2005, 01:08 PM
barthelb
Master

Im definitely one of few with the most power and miles on a 450+whp stock VQ.

I got my car tuned and installed from a very reputable shop.
I change my oil every 2500 miles and let it cool down everytime.
I use 100 oct mixed with 91 for better performance. My mods are
below.

I had the 5th aps kit in the US i believe, it was installed in Jan. last year finished on the 30th or so of that month. It was tuned to 410 then440whp.

Now I currently have 462whp 445wtrq. I have 47,7xx miles on my car almost 20k boosted. I went under around 28... I beat the hell out of it. Ask anyone that knows me. I love this car, this engine is very stout. Will it last forever, no. Will I ever forget all the kills and fun this brings no, equals to priceless.

The VQ CAN take Boost Period! Just has to be tuned and driven by reputable and responsible parties.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:09 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

ive been an avid forum-goer for the past few years. the general consensus of this board is that your VQ will probably blow something if your running a stock block if your over 5psi. even if you have a "quality tune" you're bound to have something fail. i have seen dozens and dozens of people post about how some so-called "safe-tune" still blew their engine's up....forged internals or not.

sure there are plenty of people running 400whp stock blocks out there...and there are plenty of blown motors, too. 5-6psi is not much for an engine...but ours seems to not take kindly to it compared to say......some other import 4 bangers. the man asked about the VQs ability to get blown and i told him....they are notorious for blowing up.

the man asked if the internals are forged and if they are strong for boost. IMHO they are not able to reliably handle any boost unless you get some beefy parts.

other than that.....i am amazed at how much power some people are attaining!
Old 10-31-2005, 01:26 PM
zachcrosen

I am running 367RWHP and about 305RWTQ and have been for about 2 months with no problems. From what I have read and understand, about 425RWHP or just a little more is all that I am willing to run on stock internals. If I plan on running more than that, I plan to do it right the first time. I would rather spend a few thousand now and not have to pay 6 or 7k later because of being to damn stubborn and hard headed to do what needs to be done right. I am not saying anything negative against those who are running mroe than that. All I am saying is that I personally don't have enough cash to drop on a rebuild if I blow the motor because of not taking the necessary precautions.

From what I understand, necessary precautions include rods, pistons, bolts and all that kind of stuff. I dont know that much about a forged motor as I dont have one nor will I any time soon.

Also, the boost and HP areas under the curve are different for SCs than they are for TTs or STs. The SC makes all of its power up top which is "less stressful" than turbos which make their power from say 3500-5000 RPMs. 8 or 9 psi of boost is 8 or 9 psi of boost, but I think the importance is where that amount of boost is being seen. Again, SCs see that much boost up top whereas turboed cars see those boost levels in the 3500-5000 RPM range. I think seeing that much boost at that low of an RPM is what is causing some motors to blow.

This is all I can think of at this time. I am, by no means, an expert on this topic. This is just kind of my interpretation of what is being seen and demonstrated on our engines.

Zach
Old 10-31-2005, 01:28 PM
tonio

You guys have to be kidding me.. apparently you guys do not read this forum with the statements you are making. Right now I hit 11psi on a regular basis on a stock block with no problems, 5000 miles and running strong. Before you post false information you need to do your research, especially if you do not have experience with a Z or G with a Supercharger or Twin Turbos.

Quick Reply: are 350z engines forged?