Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Oil cooler choices - help me please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 05:26 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually, I need to know the inside diameter of the hose that you have there so I can replace it with a different hose to fit the oil cooler. If you have that hose, Miaplaya, then I bet you have the hose you took off. I measured mine by quickly removing and using a ruler, and I thought I measured 1 1/2" (approx. 38.1mm). Ether pointed out a post that stated the ID was 34mm. That is a 4mm difference. Would you mind measuring the ID of the hose you took off? As a check for accuracy. Thank you.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:32 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gringott
Actually, I need to know the inside diameter of the hose that you have there so I can replace it with a different hose to fit the oil cooler. If you have that hose, Miaplaya, then I bet you have the hose you took off. I measured mine by quickly removing and using a ruler, and I thought I measured 1 1/2" (approx. 38.1mm). Ether pointed out a post that stated the ID was 34mm. That is a 4mm difference. Would you mind measuring the ID of the hose you took off? As a check for accuracy. Thank you.
I can check it tonight for you...but why would you need to replace the upper coolant hose for an oil cooler. Are you going to place the oil cooler in that location? If so you could use some Stainless Steel solid tubing and re-route the direction of it. Not to mention by using solid hose you may be able to shrink the size of it.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:34 PM
ether

i did try a 38mm adapter before getting the 34mm.. maybe something in between, but the 38 definately did not fit, spent a good time trying to sterch it over the adpater fitting

Last edited by ether; 11-08-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:42 PM
gringott

The laminar oil cooler is best used for cooling by diverting the main coolant line to run through the cooler. The cooler is available with 1.50" end fittings, which would work if our upper hose is 38mm. If our hose is 34mm, then there is a problem, and a reducer or differnet end fitting must be used. Various end caps are available for the laminar oil cooler, push on type: 18mm (.70"), 28mm (1.10"), 32mm (1.25"), 38mm (1.50"), or JIC 16 (-16AN) JIC 24 (-24AN) .

No 34mm.

As for your other question, what will the effect be of reducing the size of the upper radiator return hose? For example, if I went with the JIC 16 thread on?
Old 11-08-2005, 05:45 PM
MIAPLAYA

The laminar oil cooler is best used for cooling by diverting the main coolant line to run through the cooler. The cooler is available with 1.50" end fittings, which would work if our upper hose is 38mm. If our hose is 34mm, then there is a problem, and a reducer or differnet end fitting must be used. Various end caps are available for the laminar oil cooler, push on type: 18mm (.70"), 28mm (1.10"), 32mm (1.25"), 38mm (1.50"), or JIC 16 (-16AN) JIC 24 (-24AN) .

No 34mm.

As for your other question, what will the effect be of reducing the size of the upper radiator return hose? For example, if I went with the JIC 16 thread on?
Well assuming the stock water pump is working well it would increase coolan pressure going into the raditor. You would I think need to upgrade the coolant feed line to ensure it could hold the pressure increase in best case. Worst case it would force the cap open and start dumping coolant into the overflow bottle. My question I guess is why run a water cooler on the oil cooler at the return line from the motor. This would be the hottest water in the system (sans the water actually in the motor) It would be smarter I think to run this off of the coolant feed hose located on the bottom of the radiator.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:50 PM
ether

isn't the upper radiator hose the return line into the motor.. the lower LH hose is where the radiator is fed (thats the one that has the thermo) ... so an inline oil cooler should be fed by the upper radiator line.. i looked into the same water-oil cooler before going with a diff solution
Old 11-08-2005, 05:50 PM
gringott

Originally Posted by ether
i did try a 38mm adapter before getting the 34mm.. maybe something in between, but the 38 definately did not fit, spent a good time trying to sterch it over the adpater fitting
Sorry. Thought you were just pointing me in the direction of a post. This is an issue. 34 millimeter = 1.3385827 inch

For example, push on hose to AN adapters come in 1", 1.25". 1.50", 1.75" push on sizes at Summit.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:53 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by ether
isn't the upper radiator hose the return line into the motor.. the lower LH hose is where the radiator is fed (thats the one that has the thermo) ... so an inline oil cooler should be fed by the upper radiator line.. i looked into the same water-oil cooler before going with a diff solution
Thats correct the lower hose FEEDS the motor. The upper hose removes water from the motor.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:59 PM
gringott

Miaplaya is correct. The upper hose returns coolant to the radiator. The lower hose sends coolant from the radiator to the pump.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:12 PM
gringott

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
My question I guess is why run a water cooler on the oil cooler at the return line from the motor. This would be the hottest water in the system (sans the water actually in the motor) It would be smarter I think to run this off of the coolant feed hose located on the bottom of the radiator.
I am not an engineer, but what the oil to water heat exchanger is doing is equalizing temps between the cooling system and the oil system. Why would you transfer the heat from the oil to the water? Because you already have the means to cool the water, the radiator. The water is suppost to take the heat from the oil. Now the water must remove the heat from itself, by a water to air radiator. Then it can enter the engine to start the cycle again. This was logical to me. And I am sure that puting it in the lower radiator hose would work also. But it did not seem logical to me to heat the water and then pump it into the engine. The stock doughnut "cooler" takes water from the return line, runs it through the cooler, and then back into the engine, bypassing the radiator. I will find out where in the cooling circuit laminova recommends to place the cooler.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:20 PM
gringott

Default Here is the cooling circuit from the service manual

I cut and pasted this from the service manual.
Attached Thumbnails Oil cooler choices - help me please.-cooling-circuit.jpg  
Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 PM
gringott

From the Lotus Elise site, recommended oil coolers:
"Water to oil cooler (Laminar Flow cooler)
These are two concentric tubes with fins between them to transfer heat between the water and oil. These coolers are expensive but result in minial oil pressure drop."

This is where I got the idea that it should be in the return line:

"They can be simply fitted by replacing a section of coolant return pipe.

An advantage of water to oil coolers is that the water brings the oil up to temperature quicker when the car is started from cold."
Old 11-08-2005, 06:50 PM
ether

i got a piece of the upper raditor hose somewhere at home (portion cut to fit the water temp sensor) i'll re-measure it and post up the size if i can find it
Old 11-09-2005, 03:08 AM
gringott

ether: That would be great. If I can use a 1.50" with some assembly lube that would make things simpler and cheaper. If it is 34mm not 38mm I have some more intensive sourcing to do.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:06 AM
ether

its 34mm.. was unable to find the hose, but got the measurement from the stock thermostat.. also quickly checked the stock radiator openings and they ae the same size as the thermostat
Attached Thumbnails Oil cooler choices - help me please.-thermo.jpg  
Old 11-09-2005, 04:21 AM
gringott

ether: Thank you. Guess I failed the measurement school. ;/

Now I have to continue researching.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:06 AM
gringott

Spoke to Eric at BAT Inc, a Mocal dealer. Got some excellent information, he seems very knowledgeble about oil cooling systems, intercoolers, etc.

For Miaplaya's question, the most efficent location for the laminar oil cooler is in the cooling circuit from the radiator to the engine (lower radiator hose). It can be in the engine to radiator line, with "some" decrease in efficency.

He also mentioned that if our heater circuit flows all the time, the cooler may be put in that circuit as well, increasing mounting options. I looked in the service manual, and I do not see a thermostat control for coolant flow to the heater core, perhaps someone who knows if our heater coolant flow is constant "on" or not can post.

He recommended the A43-180 unit, which is roughly equivilent to a 16 to 19 row oil to air cooler. This unit is 10.20" in length, so it is almost 6" shorter than the A43-330, which is 16" in length and is roughly equivilent to a 25 to 30 row oil to air cooler. If the shorter one will be suffcient, it greatly decreases the mounting problems. He also mentioned that if, after installation, the coolant flow rate is not correct to cool the oil to the desired temps, that reducers are availible that will force the coolant to stay in the cooler longer, transfering more heat. This can only be known after installation.

Currently, I am looking at mounting the A43-180 on top of the radiator, using the parts listed below. I will have to "hack" the coolant lines, either find a 34mm to 38mm adapter for smooth hose, or create something. I mentioned to Eric about using the JIC 16 (-16AN) thread on adapter, but he seemed "cool" on the idea, and unless I can find a JIC 16 to 34mm smooth hose adapter, I am cool on the idea as well.

Choice of water and oil fittings on the cooler at time of purchase are inclueded in the price.

Rough cost:
Part Number Description Quantity Price
A43-180 Laminar oil to water cooler 1 $239.50
-8AN oil fittings, 1.50" (38mm) water

SP1F Mocal standard model sandwich adapter 1 $42.50

BM808A 1/2" BSP to -8AN male to male adapters 2 $?
from sandwich plate to oil hose

? -8AN female to hose connectors 4 $
These will depend on mounting location
as to bend, etc. 2 for cooler, 2 for
sandwich plate

? Unknown length of oil hose -8AN $
length will depend on mounting location

? Unknown length of water hose 1.50" $

? Smooth hose adapter from 34mm to 38mm 2 $

Summation:
The laminar cooler seems "doable", price will be near the price for a traditional oil to air cooler, will deliver consistent oil temp reduction.
If in main cooling circuit, will mount on top of radiator, pull hose from bottom of radiator and return to water pump. If in heater circuit, mount on firewall.
Still have to decide:

Main cooling circuit or heater circuit
How to connect water lines (34mm vs. 38mm)
JIC water lines or standard smooth hose.

Help needed:
If you know if our heater circuit flows all the time or is thermostatically controlled, please post.
If you know of some adapter from 34mm to 38mm, please post.
If you have some insight on a better way of doing this, like mounting etc, please post.

My intent is to prototype this project, post all needed parts and results, so others don't have to do the same work again. All the commercial oil coolers for the 350Z are either too expensive, are missing parts, don't fit with an intercooler, require getting rid of a part like the windshield washer tank, some hacking of the fenderwells, grill, bumper or some combination of these things. If this works and reduces oil temps to the desired amount, it can be an excellent decent priced alternative. I expect that, in the end, total cost will be around $400.

Last edited by gringott; 11-09-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:04 AM
MIAPLAYA

Spoke to Eric at BAT Inc, a Mocal dealer. Got some excellent information, he seems very knowledgeble about oil cooling systems, intercoolers, etc.

For Miaplaya's question, the most efficent location for the laminar oil cooler is in the cooling circuit from the radiator to the engine (lower radiator hose). It can be in the engine to radiator line, with "some" decrease in efficency.

He also mentioned that if our heater circuit flows all the time, the cooler may be put in that circuit as well, increasing mounting options. I looked in the service manual, and I do not see a thermostat control for coolant flow to the heater core, perhaps someone who knows if our heater coolant flow is constant "on" or not can post.

He recommended the A43-180 unit, which is roughly equivilent to a 16 to 19 row oil to air cooler. This unit is 10.20" in length, so it is almost 6" shorter than the A43-330, which is 16" in length and is roughly equivilent to a 25 to 30 row oil to air cooler. If the shorter one will be suffcient, it greatly decreases the mounting problems. He also mentioned that if, after installation, the coolant flow rate is not correct to cool the oil to the desired temps, that reducers are availible that will force the coolant to stay in the cooler longer, transfering more heat. This can only be known after installation.

Currently, I am looking at mounting the A43-180 on top of the radiator, using the parts listed below. I will have to "hack" the coolant lines, either find a 34mm to 38mm adapter for smooth hose, or create something. I mentioned to Eric about using the JIC 16 (-16AN) thread on adapter, but he seemed "cool" on the idea, and unless I can find a JIC 16 to 34mm smooth hose adapter, I am cool on the idea as well.

Choice of water and oil fittings on the cooler at time of purchase are inclueded in the price.

Rough cost:
Part Number Description Quantity Price
A43-180 Laminar oil to water cooler 1 $239.50
-8AN oil fittings, 1.50" (38mm) water

SP1F Mocal standard model sandwich adapter 1 $42.50

BM808A 1/2" BSP to -8AN male to male adapters 2 $?
from sandwich plate to oil hose

? -8AN female to hose connectors 4 $
These will depend on mounting location
as to bend, etc. 2 for cooler, 2 for
sandwich plate

? Unknown length of oil hose -8AN $

? Unknown length of water hose 1.50" $

? Smooth hose adapter from 34mm to 38mm 2 $

Summation:
The laminar cooler seems "doable", price will be near the price for a traditional oil to air cooler, will deliver consistent oil temp reduction.
If in main cooling circuit, will mount on top of radiator, pull hose from bottom of radiator and return to water pump. If in heater circuit, mount on firewall.
Still have to decide:

Main cooling circuit or heater circuit
How to connect water lines (34mm vs. 38mm)
JIC water lines or standard smooth hose.

Help needed:
If you know if our heater circuit flows all the time or is thermostatically controlled, please post.
If you know of some adapter from 34mm to 38mm, please post.
If you have some insight on a better way of doing this, like mounting etc, please post.

My intent is to prototype this project, post all needed parts and results, so others don't have to do the same work again. All the commercial oil coolers for the 350Z are either too expensive, are missing parts, don't fit with an intercooler, require getting rid of a part like the windshield washer tank, some hacking of the fenderwells, grill, bumper or some combination of these things. If this works and reduces oil temps to the desired amount, it can be an excellent decent priced alternative. I expect that, in the end, total cost will be around $400.

I want to say the heater core is always heated but when my thermostat failed I wasn't getting any hot air from the heater when turned on max hot so I guess it is controlled by the thermostat.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:33 PM
ether

Diverting coolant from the heater feed hose and mounting it on top of the front beam seems like a good idea, routing the hoses will probably be the biggest issue
Old 11-09-2005, 04:16 PM
gringott

If the heater hose option is possible, the routing to the front beam might not be too bad due to the size of the hose. The best option (I have been researching and measuring and thinking all day) so far seems to be going with a 32mm water fitting, which will be 2mm smaller than the current hose, hopefully I can use a worm clamp to take up the 2mm, and place the cooler inline with the lower radiator to water pump hose. The 10.20 inch model will be a very tight squeeze, and I am afraid to go to the smaller version because I might not get the desired results.

Inline creates the least routing problems, I have ordered a new stock hoses for the lower and upper from performance nissan, so when I start cutting I have a backup hose. If I decide to do the heater hose, I will use the new hoses to replace my 50K miles used hoses.

I am pretty sure, though, that I will go with the 32mm water fitting, I would rather try to reduce from our 34mm hose (2mm) than try to strech the 34 over a 38mm fitting (4mm). Especially since you told me you couldn't make a 38mm fit.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler choices - help me please.