Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

GRD Installed Turbonetics Single.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 06:09 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the idea of the unichip better than the reflash personally maybe even EU or wait for the UTEC ...
Old 11-23-2005, 06:12 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by paranormal
i like the idea of the unichip better than the reflash personally maybe even EU or wait for the UTEC ...
Well after GRD tests the UTEC and they say it is good I will upgrade to that. For now the Unichip is more than enough and I have one of the best tuners tuneing it. What more can I ask for.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:24 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

sounds like your doing all the right things man.. getting a EM and FUEL system are pretty much basics with F/I so your def getting good products that will benifit your car! cant wait to see what you can squeeze out of the TN with a unichip.. should be a nice healthy number
Old 11-23-2005, 06:31 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by paranormal
sounds like your doing all the right things man.. getting a EM and FUEL system are pretty much basics with F/I so your def getting good products that will benifit your car! cant wait to see what you can squeeze out of the TN with a unichip.. should be a nice healthy number
I can't wait to get my car back and drive it. When I heard it on the dyno it sounded so mean. Once you go turbo you can never go back.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:38 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

dude i know the feeling.... i was sitting outside at altered when my car dynoed and i was like holy **** is that what everyone else hears? lol nothing like it when you first hear that huh
Old 11-23-2005, 07:27 PM
NISMOFO

I hope you get everything sorted out, I'm sure they'll figure it out.

And who knows, w/everyone adding to this post maybe someone in the forums here can help figure it out. It looks to me like help is coming from all directions.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:55 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by 350Track
I hope you get everything sorted out, I'm sure they'll figure it out.

And who knows, w/everyone adding to this post maybe someone in the forums here can help figure it out. It looks to me like help is coming from all directions.

Yes this forum is great. After talking to Irshad and Tuan tonight I know I am in great hands. They are going out of there way to help me out and make sure my car is nice and safe when I take it home.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:02 PM
taurran

They're putting an APS fuel system and an old unichip in your car? From what I understand the APS version of a fuel return isn't even a "full" fuel return system. Also, the old unichip is definitely an inferior peice of hardware compared to the EU or UTEC, I wouldn't waste money on it if you're going to be changing it again eventually. I would recommend going with EU/UTEC and an AAM/CJM fuel system. You might be spending a little more cash now, but you will defnitely walk away with a top quality setup. I'm afraid you might be getting pushed in the wrong direction by a dealer who wants to sell all APS components.

A little off topic, but, I went in to Z Fever today here in Tampa today and there happened to be an APS ST G35c in the shop. Apparently GRD did the install and they've had nothing but problems since. They really get into specifics, but they said something about 1 in 10 of the APS harnesses being bad, and also a bad component in the oil drain pump causing the smoking issue. Its not really GRD's fault, but apparently it was a problem that should have been caught before letting the car on the road. To get it running right, theyve got the oil pump fixed, and they're just dumping the unichip and dropping in an EU before retuning.

I guess what you can take from this is that with the APS ST, you still could very well be having some problems.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:28 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by taurran
They're putting an APS fuel system and an old unichip in your car? From what I understand the APS version of a fuel return isn't even a "full" fuel return system. Also, the old unichip is definitely an inferior peice of hardware compared to the EU or UTEC, I wouldn't waste money on it if you're going to be changing it again eventually. I would recommend going with EU/UTEC and an AAM/CJM fuel system. You might be spending a little more cash now, but you will defnitely walk away with a top quality setup. I'm afraid you might be getting pushed in the wrong direction by a dealer who wants to sell all APS components.

A little off topic, but, I went in to Z Fever today here in Tampa today and there happened to be an APS ST G35c in the shop. Apparently GRD did the install and they've had nothing but problems since. They really get into specifics, but they said something about 1 in 10 of the APS harnesses being bad, and also a bad component in the oil drain pump causing the smoking issue. Its not really GRD's fault, but apparently it was a problem that should have been caught before letting the car on the road. To get it running right, theyve got the oil pump fixed, and they're just dumping the unichip and dropping in an EU before retuning.

I guess what you can take from this is that with the APS ST, you still could very well be having some problems.

You have it wrong. The Unichip I am getting is brand new and the fuel system is used. It's from a car that upgraded everything. Like I said before I am getting the fuel return for almost nothing that is why I got this one. For my needs that is all I need for now. Also I am using the Unichip for now until the UTEC is tested and working with no problems. I don't want the EU.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:03 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by DBZ33
You have it wrong. The Unichip I am getting is brand new and the fuel system is used. It's from a car that upgraded everything. Like I said before I am getting the fuel return for almost nothing that is why I got this one. For my needs that is all I need for now. Also I am using the Unichip for now until the UTEC is tested and working with no problems. I don't want the EU.
That's cool. If you're getting a great deal on that fuel return then I'd say go with it. I wasn't sure what they were charging you for it.

As for the unichip, I've been told by multiple sources that the unichip APS includes in their kit is not the latest version of the production unichip. One local tuner went so far to tell me it's 'like tuning an atari 2600'. I'm not claiming to be an expert on it by any means. Perhaps someone in the know could explain?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:17 PM
DBZ33

That's cool. If you're getting a great deal on that fuel return then I'd say go with it. I wasn't sure what they were charging you for it.

As for the unichip, I've been told by multiple sources that the unichip APS includes in their kit is not the latest version of the production unichip. One local tuner went so far to tell me it's 'like tuning an atari 2600'. I'm not claiming to be an expert on it by any means. Perhaps someone in the know could explain?
I have no idea what version the Unichip is that is in the APS kits but it does seem to be working for APS. Also im sure there are people who talk bad about it because there not dealers for APS or Unichip and can't tune it. So they will bad mouth it to sell the other product.

Irshad gave me the option of sending the ECU back to TN for a reflash first, but I told him I didn't want to keep sending it back and forth. I asked him if I should just get the UTEC. He said that they have not got there first UTEC in yet for testing and that I should wait till then. He then offered me to go with the Unichip and then I can upgrade to the UTEC if it all works out. This was very fair to me. I guess we will see this Monday.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:11 AM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, what is my dyno sheet doing on here? LOL
Old 11-24-2005, 04:04 AM
captj3

Why does everyone push the EU when you still can't use all the features? Greddy released a product that is 1/2 complete to make more money while they figure it out.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:10 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by captj3
Why does everyone push the EU when you still can't use all the features? Greddy released a product that is 1/2 complete to make more money while they figure it out.
Ummm... Because it will still do what most people need it to. I don't need all the features LOL.

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
The reflash may be ok...thats why I'm saying you should get your wideband installed and then decide where to go.
Agreed, just like going to a doctor about something serious... Get a second opinion.

It is way to strange that all of a sudden out of the blue DBZ33 with running lean off the flash... When the majority of us here were or still are rich throughout the RPM's.

I am sorry, but from what you have posted... It does seem very strange on the "suggestions" this shop is giving you, and how easily you are willing to accept them. There are many points of the install were something can be done incorrectly, and esp. since you didn't do the install you don't know what was done and how. Not trying to bash the shop you used, but I could or would better understand your situation if it was more common from the beginning of the kits release. I have been to many "shops" were they want to "suggest" and offer "good" deals on products... Now don't get me wrong, got to make a living... But you also don't have to spend money you don't in order to get something you might be able to do anyway with less cost.

But then again, it is your car and your money. I would just suggest like said before, get a complete Fuel Return (AAM, CJM) and EMS (EU which you don't like for some reason, UTEC).

Good luck.

Last edited by Peking; 11-24-2005 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:59 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

One local tuner went so far to tell me it's 'like tuning an atari 2600'.
He sad this because unichip uses DOS. this is changing though and does not affect the tune.

Reading this thread, I find it interesting, the reactions people have to the situation. I just had my car finished up at GRD and the one thing I can say is, Tuan cares and wants the to be at it's best before it leaves the shop. With that said, I would think Tuan would have rather been installing and tuning an APS kit than the turbonetics, but that is beside the point.

I think DB is doing the right thing by listening to his shop. If you bring a car to a place and don't trust what they are going to tell you, you might as well bring your car somewhere else. this is not saying that GRD is the end all, be all of knowledge, just that if DB trusted them if the first place he should continue to.

In more specifics to the situation at hand:
If further tuning is required, unichip is basically the only solution I would have considered as well.
1.) GRD is more than capable tuning it - I think this is most important since GRD will be tuning
2.) It's only competition is the EU, which, from my limited knowledge, is an incomplete solution and not something I would run on my car - true that the utec might be great, but being that it is not available yet, it's hard to consider that an option
3.)DB didn't want to try another reflash, and I don't blame him. I would want my car tuned by running it on the dyno, not some standard, generic tune that has been developed on other cars - this does not mean the reflash is not a viable option, just that I would rather have a 'custom' tune

From my veiw point, DB could have been fine with another reflash, or just taken his car as is. Adding the unichip or the fuel return system may not be needed, but It defenitely won't hurt. 1400 bucks isn't chump change, but in the end I will bet that he be making more power than any out of box tune would and doing it a bit more reliably.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:39 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by Zivman
I think DB is doing the right thing by listening to his shop. If you bring a car to a place and don't trust what they are going to tell you, you might as well bring your car somewhere else. this is not saying that GRD is the end all, be all of knowledge, just that if DB trusted them if the first place he should continue to.
If further tuning is required, unichip is basically the only solution I would have considered as well.
1.) GRD is more than capable tuning it - I think this is most important since GRD will be tuning
2.) It's only competition is the EU, which, from my limited knowledge, is an incomplete solution and not something I would run on my car - true that the utec might be great, but being that it is not available yet, it's hard to consider that an option
3.)DB didn't want to try another reflash, and I don't blame him. I would want my car tuned by running it on the dyno, not some standard, generic tune that has been developed on other cars - this does not mean the reflash is not a viable option, just that I would rather have a 'custom' tune
From my veiw point, DB could have been fine with another reflash, or just taken his car as is. Adding the unichip or the fuel return system may not be needed, but It defenitely won't hurt. 1400 bucks isn't chump change, but in the end I will bet that he be making more power than any out of box tune would and doing it a bit more reliably.
Fair enough, sorry from my past experience "shops" don't sit well with me... Hate to be general, which I shouldn't be but can't help first thoughts on them. So it takes alot for me to be supportive of a shop, luckily I have found one that I trust which only sucks to drive out of state for LOL.

Anyway curious, why say the Greddy E-Manage Ultimate is "an incomplete solution"?
Old 11-24-2005, 07:58 AM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by Zivman
He sad this because unichip uses DOS. this is changing though and does not affect the tune.

Reading this thread, I find it interesting, the reactions people have to the situation. I just had my car finished up at GRD and the one thing I can say is, Tuan cares and wants the to be at it's best before it leaves the shop. With that said, I would think Tuan would have rather been installing and tuning an APS kit than the turbonetics, but that is beside the point.

This is what I have been tiring to say. I could have tried another reflash but I don't want to keep doing that. Who says that they will get it perfect the second time. I just want to be able to have Tuan dyno tune my car. It will be safe and I might even get more power out of it.

As far as the APS fuel return, after Tuan told me that it would help my fuel problems. I told them that I didn't want to spend another $1000.00 for a fuel return. About 5-10 min later he then told me for about 1/4 of the price he would sell me the fuel system from a car that upgraded its APS kit and wants to sell it. I thought that was fair and told them to do it. They could have easily told me that I need a full fuel return and I would have had to purchase it. I made a post a few weeks ago before that if my reflash didn't work that I was going to go with a piggyback.

Last edited by DBZ33; 11-24-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:42 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see anything wrong with Tuan putting a Unichip in the car... other then there are quite a few guys with Unichips from their APS kits that are trying to get out of that nightmare... its gonna be hard to sell it later if you go to the UTEC. Did you buy a brand new Unichip? If only this was in a few more weeks... once that UTEC comes out there are gonna be a million Unichips being thrown out the window as APS TT/ST owners start to take control of their own cars.

I do not think their solution is a bad idea... the APS fuel return setup that he is getting as good enough to at least max out the injectors that he has... and even if the reflash tune was pretty much right on, I would still want the ability to fine tune whenever I want... I would just pick something that is not so proprietary.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Nismo350ZRT

Fact of the matter is the Unichip works just fine for FI. The number of APS turbo'd cars running 400+ whp without blown motors attests to that fact.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by Nismo350ZRT
Fact of the matter is the Unichip works just fine for FI. The number of APS turbo'd cars running 400+ whp without blown motors attests to that fact.
He didn't say it doesn't work for FI cars

Quick Reply: GRD Installed Turbonetics Single.