Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

GRD Installed Turbonetics Single.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Nismo350ZRT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peking
He didn't say it doesn't work for FI cars
He said it was an inferior solution. I said it was an adequate solution. Your comment is nonsense.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by Nismo350ZRT
He said it was an inferior solution. I said it was an adequate solution. Your comment is nonsense.
He stated his opinion based on what he heard about the software format, along with it is silly to think that he was not aware that clearly it can or does work for APS owners. And actually both of your comment are nonsense...

Maybe less drive to post, and more to READ... Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited by Peking; 11-24-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:23 AM
arizzee

OK, so apart from the Unichip debate, any thoughts on the APS plenum causing the lean condition? Any other TN setups with the plenum or other FI kits needing retune after plenum install? I don't think the Techno reflash would be set for the APS plenum.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:25 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by arizzee
OK, so apart from the Unichip debate, any thoughts on the APS plenum causing the lean condition? Any other TN setups with the plenum or other FI kits needing retune after plenum install? I don't think the Techno reflash would be set for the APS plenum.
I have the Motordyne Iso Thermal spacer on my car but it didn't lean out. However some others have said it does lean the car out..
Old 11-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by arizzee
From threads and/or posts before... It was talked about, but not sure how many times actual results where posted up. Also Technosquare's flashes rely on either going their or sending your ECU with a accurate A/F graph from which they do their adjusting for A/F. So if you have the APS plenum, do a couple of runs on the dyno with a sniffer. Then if need be send your ECU with A/F graph for adjustment.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:38 AM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DAmn those are good numbers for just the kit!
Old 11-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Phatmitzu

Originally Posted by D350Z10
DAmn those are good numbers for just the kit!
+1.

But maybe its because hes running lean like he said.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:24 PM
protocav

it sounds so me like the shop is just trying to sell you parts.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:03 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by protocav
it sounds so me like the shop is just trying to sell you parts.
Like I said before. They first told me that they have to send the ECU back to TN. I then asked them if there was anything they could do so I would get my car back that night. That is when they offered the Unichip and the fuel return. Plus the fuel return is not from them,its from FailSafe306's car that they are working on. So they are not making any money on that. Just the Unichip.
After talking to Tuan that night I want the car to be dyno tuned not just a flash. Don't get me wrong I would have loved to have the flash work on the first try but it didn't. I was always thinking of going with the UTEC but its not out yet and I want to see how it works on a few boosted 350's first. I guess we will all see what happens to my car on Monday. I hope it is all done and running great. I will post the dynos and I will also have a video of the dyno run. Thanks everyone for tring to help me with the problems.

Isaac
Old 11-25-2005, 04:37 AM
zero2prove

I couldn't be more happier if I had just did a couple of dyno pulls to verify that everything went fine with the install. Unfortunately what I did find out is the motor did knock and pull timing at 5000 rpms because of a lean condition. Maybe it has something to do with the APS plenum-which I kinda feared at the beginning of the install. As it will give different AFR numbers for different kits. On monday I might just put the stock one back in and see what it does and let Isaac. What I don't like seeing is mid to lower 12:1 AFR between 4000-5000 rpms. An NA motor with an aftermarket FI kit won't hold up to long abuse on the highway with that range of AFR on pump gas. If I know for certain that he will constantly use 100 octane gas I might think otherwise.
I'd like to mention as well was the closed loop fueling was a little off. The car would add up to 10-15% in some RPM and throttle ranges, as if the maf scaling wasn't quite right for the supplied injectors.
We'll be looking into becoming ecu reflash dealers soon for the Z and G35 so that problems like this won't arise in the future.

-Tuan
Old 11-25-2005, 04:43 AM
zero2prove

Originally Posted by taurran
They're putting an APS fuel system and an old unichip in your car? From what I understand the APS version of a fuel return isn't even a "full" fuel return system. Also, the old unichip is definitely an inferior peice of hardware compared to the EU or UTEC, I wouldn't waste money on it if you're going to be changing it again eventually. I would recommend going with EU/UTEC and an AAM/CJM fuel system. You might be spending a little more cash now, but you will defnitely walk away with a top quality setup. I'm afraid you might be getting pushed in the wrong direction by a dealer who wants to sell all APS components.

A little off topic, but, I went in to Z Fever today here in Tampa today and there happened to be an APS ST G35c in the shop. Apparently GRD did the install and they've had nothing but problems since. They really get into specifics, but they said something about 1 in 10 of the APS harnesses being bad, and also a bad component in the oil drain pump causing the smoking issue. Its not really GRD's fault, but apparently it was a problem that should have been caught before letting the car on the road. To get it running right, theyve got the oil pump fixed, and they're just dumping the unichip and dropping in an EU before retuning.

I guess what you can take from this is that with the APS ST, you still could very well be having some problems.

I don't think we've ever installed and tuned an APS ST on a G35.

-Tuan
Old 01-02-2006, 06:00 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by taurran
A little off topic, but, I went in to Z Fever today here in Tampa today and there happened to be an APS ST G35c in the shop. Apparently GRD did the install and they've had nothing but problems since. They really get into specifics, but they said something about 1 in 10 of the APS harnesses being bad, and also a bad component in the oil drain pump causing the smoking issue. Its not really GRD's fault, but apparently it was a problem that should have been caught before letting the car on the road. To get it running right, theyve got the oil pump fixed, and they're just dumping the unichip and dropping in an EU before retuning.

I guess what you can take from this is that with the APS ST, you still could very well be having some problems.
Sorry I saw this late but lets get some facts straight. I have been to Zfever and know the G35 you are talking about that is switching engine managements. GRD DID NOT have anything to do with that car. That car was done by Zfever and there is even a thread on that same G35 somewhere on this forum due to the problems they were having on the install. The only car GRD did close to Tampa was mine and I was the first APS ST car they did.

If this is what Zfever is telling you then I have lost all respect with that shop.....Unlike many shops GRD knows what they are doing...Please get your facts straight before posting BS like that..
Old 01-06-2006, 03:40 PM
bsp
Sponsor
Brainstorm Performance

GRD is a good bunch of guys. Take their advice