Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Anyone with APS TT and Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 12:37 AM
DRE350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with APS TT and Auto?

I've done a search and only found guys with ST set ups and Greddy TT set up.

Has anyone placed an APS TT kit on their 5AT car?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:40 AM
1G'

keep looking theres a big thread on this in this forum.

i have one from scotts performance in the bay area of Ca. 500+
Old 12-22-2005, 09:09 AM
zman1910

There is one currently in progress and is listed in the new posts section
Old 12-22-2005, 02:03 PM
kim

I got one ......
Old 12-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Fairlady_z33

yea its been done the only thing i recommened or anyone will recommened is a SGP valve body to handle the 8 PSI.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:09 PM
CESAROTORRES

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!

I have the APS TT on my 350ZR 5AT, in my personal opinion, no body has the perfect kit that can manage the power of the APS TT on the 5AT. You will need the following Torque converter, SGP VB, Tranny cooler, and the most important a BETTER CLUTCH PACK (NOT AVAILABLE).<-------this is why I said that the 5at is not ready for FI yet. I will wait until somebody release better clutches for the auto.

CESAR
350ZR TT
Old 12-22-2005, 11:05 PM
DRE350

Thanks guys

Is there only 3 guys with APS TT/Auto?

One in progress, Cesar and Kim.

Kim: how are you finding it?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:52 AM
BLN350Z

Thats just an INSANE comment ("the 5AT is not ready for FI")!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he meant its not ready for High boost FI, but it's being used for ~400Rwhp without the VB upgrade and NO PROBLEMS in many cases........
Old 12-23-2005, 07:09 AM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by CESAROTORRES
DO NOT DO IT!!!!!

I have the APS TT on my 350ZR 5AT, in my personal opinion, no body has the perfect kit that can manage the power of the APS TT on the 5AT. You will need the following Torque converter, SGP VB, Tranny cooler, and the most important a BETTER CLUTCH PACK (NOT AVAILABLE).<-------this is why I said that the 5at is not ready for FI yet. I will wait until somebody release better clutches for the auto.

CESAR
350ZR TT
Explanation please.......earlier on there was a long discussion on "flare" during shifting, and the damage it can do.......from experience and practice, I learned how to get fast tight shifts without "flare" in both auto and manual modes....actually have been very impressed. (I have 9K miles on my ST).

(FYI.....flare sounds like a power-shift in a manual, during this time revs are up but a gear has not been engaged.....guaranteed way to burn through a clutch in a MT.....and similarly burn through clutch packs on the AT.)

In my book the 5AT IS ready for F/I.....but if you want to powershift every shift....."be prepared to pay the reaper".......In my book you wil need to re-learn shifting in both AT and "manumatic" modes.

CESAR......can you give more details/explain what you have seen?

Last edited by JoneZZZ; 12-23-2005 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:14 AM
CESAROTORRES

Originally Posted by BLN350Z
Thats just an INSANE comment ("the 5AT is not ready for FI")!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he meant its not ready for High boost FI, but it's being used for ~400Rwhp without the VB upgrade and NO PROBLEMS in many cases........
They have been many issues on the 5AT equipt with FI (above 380hp), for example all the 5AT owners that I know have the same problems, for example the car does not change gears at WOT unless you raise the limiter to 7,200 rpms which I think it is just sugar coating the problem, another problem is the 3 gear on the 5AT will go out about 10,000 miles (this can be fix with better clutches) SGP is working on it. Now I do not think that is an INSANE comment, JUST THE FACTS!

Cesar
APS TT Rules!

Last edited by CESAROTORRES; 12-23-2005 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:20 AM
CESAROTORRES

Originally Posted by JoneZZZ
Explanation please.......earlier on there was a long discussion on "flare" during shifting, and the damage it can do.......from experience and practice, I learned how to get fast tight shifts without "flare" in both auto and manual modes....actually have been very impressed. (I have 9K miles on my ST).

(FYI.....flare sounds like a power-shift in a manual, during this time revs are up but a gear has not been engaged.....guaranteed way to burn through a clutch in a MT.....and similarly burn through clutch packs on the AT.)

In my book the 5AT IS ready for F/I.....but if you want to powershift every shift....."be prepared to pay the reaper".......In my book you wil need to re-learn shifting in both AT and "manumatic" modes.

CESAR......can you give more details/explain what you have seen?
What technic do you use in AT and manumatic modes, Please explain.

Cesar
Old 12-23-2005, 07:37 AM
1G'

I have 500+HP on a 5AT with a SGP VB and Tranny cooler. havent had any trouble but it is a known fact that 3to4th gear is the weak clutchpacks. Cesar is right SGP has found this problem and is currently working on a fix. also the AT is not serviceable hince the issue we have, at the same time it's a very very strong tranny capable of handeling 700+HP.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:47 AM
GMADD

I'm running 8psi on the Greddy kit with a custom 3'' dual exhaust, the power is crazy !!! and I've never had a problem shifting in D at WOT...

I only have a tranny cooler, I'll be adding the SGP VB in summer.

The only problem I have is traction !

Maybe I'm just lucky...
Old 12-23-2005, 07:48 AM
JoneZZZ

.........for example the car does not change gears at WOT unless you raise the limiter to 7,200 rpms .......another problem is the 3 gear on the 5AT will go out about 10,000 miles (this can be fix with better clutches) SGP is working on it. Now I do not think that is an INSANE comment, JUST THE FACTS!

Cesar
APS TT Rules!

1.)The most important observation I can make about the 5AT is that 1) it is adaptive and 2.) it is load based.

2.) when the torque converter is loaded, you are able to induce a shift with a slight release in preasure on the accelerator.....when I first started this I was lifting my foot a little , almost mimicing(sp) a manual shift.....now I can induce a shift with a slight roll on the ball of my foot.......I can confidently take my shifts to redline and induce a shift in time......this is why I have not gone with the VB upgrade.

One of the things that amazes me is how fast and tight the AT shifts are....I know I could not shift this fast, and none of the buddies I run with can either(430 ft/lbs of torque does wonders for my driving!).

In Manumatic mode when I am aggressively shifting I lift my foot off the accelerator which in effect de-loads the TC....then flick to the next gear.....nowhere near as fast as the AT mode but faster that everyone I have run into..

3.) I have 9K on my ST.... no problems

Last edited by JoneZZZ; 12-23-2005 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:50 AM
CESAROTORRES

Originally Posted by 1G'
I have 500+HP on a 5AT with a SGP VB and Tranny cooler. havent had any trouble but it is a known fact that 3to4th gear is the weak clutchpacks. Cesar is right SGP has found this problem and is currently working on a fix. also the AT is not serviceable hince the issue we have, at the same time it's a very very strong tranny capable of handeling 700+HP.
Did you raise the limmiter on your car? if not do you have any problems driving the car at WOT?

THX!
CESAR
Old 12-23-2005, 07:54 AM
CESAROTORRES

Originally Posted by JoneZZZ
1.)The most important observation I can make about the 5AT is that 1) it is adaptive and 2.) it is load based.

2.) when the torque converter is loaded, you are able to induce a shift with a slight release in preasure on the accelerator.....when I first started this I was lifting my foot a little , almost mimicing(sp) a manual shift.....now I can induce a shift with a slight roll on the ball of my foot.......I can confidently take my shifts to redline and induce a shift in time......this is why I have not gone with the VB upgrade.

One of the things that amazes me is how fast and tight the AT shifts are....I know I could not shift this fast, and none of the buddies I run with can either.

In Manumatic mode when I am aggressively shifting I lift my foot off the accelerator which in effect de-loads the TC....then flick to the next gear.....nowhere near as fast as the AT mode but faster that everyone I have run into..

3.) I have 9K on my ST.... no problems

What do you mean with, induce a shift with a slight roll on the ball of my foot? Do you meant raising the foot a little until the car change gears?

Thank You!

CESAR

Last edited by CESAROTORRES; 12-23-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:55 AM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by 1G'
...... but it is a known fact that 3to4th gear is the weak clutchpacks. Cesar is right SGP has found this problem and is currently working on a fix. also the AT is not serviceable hince the issue we have, at the same time it's a very very strong tranny capable of handeling 700+HP.

This sounds right because of the gear ratio between 3-4......if the TC is not pre-loaded....this shift will have a delay getting the load point at which the shift will occur......
Old 12-23-2005, 08:01 AM
JoneZZZ

When I first got the ST I was concerned also about the 5-4 downshift at hwy speeds.......I was trying to determine whether the TC was taking the load or it something else(clutch packs or elsewhere).........LOADING THE TC is important....once the TC is loaded, shifts are lighting fast and most imprtantly TIGHT(immediate transfer of torque) with no "flare".

Good discussion by the way...............
Old 12-23-2005, 08:02 AM
CESAROTORRES

Originally Posted by GMADD
I'm running 8psi on the Greddy kit with a custom 3'' dual exhaust, the power is crazy !!! and I've never had a problem shifting in D at WOT...

I only have a tranny cooler, I'll be adding the SGP VB in summer.

The only problem I have is traction !

Maybe I'm just lucky...
But, GMADD you raise your limiter to 7,200 right?

Cesar
Old 12-23-2005, 08:03 AM
JoneZZZ

What do you mean with, induce a shift with a slight roll on the ball of my foot? Do you meant raising the foot a little until the car change gears?

Thank You!

CESAR

Negative.....on "lifting: my foot when in AT mode......just a slight release in preasure on the accelerator........accelerator preasure=load>>>>>de-load to shift.......my AT recognizes a miniscule preasure release, and the shift is instantaneous(thus no need to "lift the foot").

In full AT mode takes minimal preasure release.......In manumatic, I almost lift my foot.

Last edited by JoneZZZ; 12-23-2005 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone with APS TT and Auto?