Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

JapTrix APS ST Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Jergens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JapTrix APS ST Update

Hey guys, had the car back for a full day now and figured I would update.

First off, the guys at JapTrix are freaking great. I went down there and just sort of hung out and BSed with them for a couple of hours on Tuesday. Got to meet Captj and Gus (Finally)... both standup guys.

So for the meat. APS ST I have no more smoke. At first they replaced the solenoid and redid some of the wiring. They called me to tell me that there was still smoke and on their dyno the car was putting out about 280ish horsepower and 303 (I believe) TRQ. We were afraid the seals on the turbo might have been mucked up by oil. Luckily after putting milage on it seems we just had residue in the exhaust and it has all blown out.

I am still experiencing the boost tapper as I get into higher RPMs. I get to 9 or so then tapper down to 7 then end up around 6.5 or so. The guys still weren't positive why it is like that out of the box and suggested against tightening the actuator rod as I alreday spike a bit and last thing I want is to spike to 12 PSI and go kaboom. Hopefully we'll be able to get me to the claimed HP APS promised, which on their dyno (loadbased) would be something like 340 correct?

They played with the tune a bit and the car is certianly a lot more ballsy. More power and more whoa crap. MY traction is actually pretty respectable, gets a little wiggle in first but tends to be controlable through 2nd. AF is between 11.7-11.4 so that is good.

Anyone with any ideas what the problem might be? I think that GRD gave me a 91 octane map, and forgot to ask Roger if they had changed anything like that. Not certain how that works really. Would the 91 taper off at higher RPM for saftey reasons? Anyhow, any advice would be great but I am happy with the car so far. It gets better and better so it has been fun.

Now I just have to take my damn front bumper off so I can get my sidemarkers and city lights in there.

~Josh
Old 12-23-2005, 08:52 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Glad you like it, good to meet you as well. We are thinking it is the exhaust since you have the EVO2 with the custom reverse ypipe and might be restricting it becuase we raised the boost duty cyel and we managed to get it not to drop as much but still drops but not as fast as it did before, and we did get the torque up.

I alredy got the APS TT 93 maps but they didn't send me the APS ST MAPS and now we probably will have to wait until mid January since they are closed. Looking at your maps and comparing them to a 93 octane MAP for a TT it seems the main difference is less timing retard. Once we get the 93 Octane MAPS we can put them in your car and start from there.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Jergens

Sweeet. Hey Gus, any ideas on the exhaust? Replace the whole system or just the y-pipe? Again great meeting you.. and let me know when that GReddy rear gets in will ya?

~Josh
Old 12-23-2005, 09:02 PM
tig488

ill let you know if my new stronger actuator fixes the boost problem next week.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:12 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by Jergens
Sweeet. Hey Gus, any ideas on the exhaust? Replace the whole system or just the y-pipe? Again great meeting you.. and let me know when that GReddy rear gets in will ya?

~Josh
we can wait on a couple things like once we get the MAPS and the outcome of tig's actuator and we can play a little more with it specially if you come back here for good.

The Greddy rear might be here next week, I will let you know.

Originally Posted by tig488
ill let you know if my new stronger actuator fixes the boost problem next week.
Definetly interesting to see what the outcome will be.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jergens

~Josh

You 100% no doubt need to run the APS ST exhaust. I can all but garauntee that is your issue.

That paired with a proper tune will do wonders
Old 12-23-2005, 09:16 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by Zivman
You 100% no doubt need to run the APS ST exhaust. I can all but garauntee that is your issue.

That paired with a proper tune will do wonders
+1....although when I had the EVO2 fabbed to my APS ST I didn't really taper down...I think the lowest I went was 8.5 psi. From everyone I've talked to running the ST exhaust....they aren't have the issues whatsoever
Old 12-23-2005, 09:28 PM
tig488

ive got the JIC single just like bulletproof had, and i still had the taper.

luis shipped my actuator thursday, and i bought the new blitz boost controller, i will install those asap early next week and let you guys know. im gonna be using the 9-15 psi spring, but im also getting the 5-10 spring incase the 9-15 is too much. plus im installing my oil solenoid at the same time.

Last edited by tig488; 12-23-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Zivman

luis shipped my actuator thursday, and i bought the new blitz boost controller, i will install those asap early next week and let you guys know. im gonna be using the 9-15 psi spring, but im also getting the 5-10 spring incase the 9-15 is too much. plus im installing my oil solenoid at the same time.

The aps exhaust is going to flow better than your single 3"

Again, you must run the APS exhaust with this setup IMO
Old 12-23-2005, 10:12 PM
tig488

you must have missed all of my posts about things i did to remedy the boost taper, i ran the car with no exhaust, only the 3.5 inch downpipe and the boost still tapered. its not the exhaust, tuan himself told me that wasnt the problem.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Zilvia

i dont think you need to run the APS for the "best performance" all the guys wiht out it seem fine i think a 3" single would work good better than any 2.5" would
Old 12-23-2005, 11:07 PM
narkotic

zilvia you're a tool.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Fairlady_z33

i saw your car on the dyno i was up their looking at my Z getting done with the TT install. Nice car and I recommened anyone to go to japtrix so far till day im satisfied with their work.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:39 AM
BoOsTedz33TT

JAP-TRIX sounds like a rub-down room with a happy ending....IM IN!!!
Old 12-24-2005, 06:24 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Zilvia
i dont think you need to run the APS for the "best performance" all the guys wiht out it seem fine i think a 3" single would work good better than any 2.5" would
Coming from the guy that has no FI yet and drives his mom's car.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Zilvia

GET OVER IT Zivboy....i have still yet to see the importance of the fact the z is my moms having to do wiht my info on cars..................
Old 12-24-2005, 06:38 AM
westpak
SFZCC

If you areadding a boost controller I would go with the 5 psi spring so you can then increase the boost from that, if you use a 9 psi spring you wont have room to adjust and 9 psi will be your starting point.

Originally Posted by BoOsTedz33TT
JAP-TRIX sounds like a rub-down room with a happy ending....IM IN!!!
Come on down
Old 12-24-2005, 06:42 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Zilvia
GET OVER IT Zivboy....i have still yet to see the importance of the fact the z is my moms having to do wiht my info on cars..................

The fact that you make comments that having no bearing because you have no first hand expereince with the kit in question or any FI for that matter AND that you don't even own a Z.

just look at how many times people call you a 'tool'
Old 12-24-2005, 06:49 AM
Zivman

you must have missed all of my posts about things i did to remedy the boost taper, i ran the car with no exhaust, only the 3.5 inch downpipe and the boost still tapered. its not the exhaust, tuan himself told me that wasnt the problem.
Like I said, still could be a bad actuator.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:20 AM
tig488

whats wrong with 9 being my starting point

im gonna start out with the 9, i can change it out later if its too much, im gonna try to run around 10-11 psi consistently.

Last edited by tig488; 12-24-2005 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: JapTrix APS ST Update