Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS piggyback shorted & almost caught my car on fire!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 09:44 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some heat wire wrap. it is like aluminum wrapped corrugated wire tubing. i would still be hard pressed to think it to be your cas wire as that would have almost undoubtedly hurt the ecu, especially if it was arched for that long. but who knows, i have seen weirder things.
i had this happen in my vette once. wire to close to the header, burned insulation, touched header, shorted out, burned rest of insulation off wire while shorting, the shorted wire then was touching my metal trans dipstick tube, which was also touching my braided fuel line that was then touching my braided nitrous line. the hot sparking and arching between the nitrous and fuel line melted the teflon liners inside, hence 50psi of fuel shooting all over the engine compartment with all the spark in the world to ignite it. burned completely through my n20 line (thank god the bottle was off) had 4 foot flames coming out from under the car and didn't even know it for about 2 minutes, lol. people driving down the road were calling 911 and i didn't even know it was going on. if my girlfriend hadn't smelled gas (i couldn't smell it) i never would have even pulled over. got away with burning a wiring harness and a few other things, but fixed in a day.
ANYONE WHO MODS THEIR CAR NEEDS TO CARRY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!! i carry atleast one in every single one of mine, stock or not!!

glad to here it wasn't much of a loss. you lucked out my friend, especially the no insurance part, wheewww.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:47 PM
overZealous1

oh ya, if this happens to anyone else, and your girlfriend has a 44ounce pop in her hand..............tell her not to pour it on a dam electrical fire!!!!!! lol, she's gone now, little *****, hahahha.

she through the pop on while i was grabbing my extinguisher and put it out .5 seconds later. the pop baked on the chemical in the extinguisher. that was a fun clean up.

Last edited by overZealous1; 12-26-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:04 AM
weslutes

MAN, I'm glad that didn't happen. Dumb chick.
You know, the wire must not have been arched for that long because this all happened when I began to get into boost while messing around with a corvette. The turbo must have heated up from the spooling, then melted the wire, therefor causing the short. I really don't know.

After this happened, I think i'm going to heat wrap the stock bundle of wires that run above the passenger side turbo also.

When I ripped it out (literally), the unichip was dripping plastic like napalm. It fuggin burned the **** of of my hands. "Liquid Magma", as Dr. Evil would say.

MRC is helping me out by overnighting a new Unichip for an unbelievable price. He's really straight forward & sounds like he knows his ****. Thanks again buddy!

Wes
Old 12-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Gman2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weslutes
MRC is helping me out by overnighting a new Unichip for an unbelievable price. He's really straight forward & sounds like he knows his ****. Thanks again buddy!

Wes
That's great of MRC, but you shouldn't have to pay for a new Unichip. That should definately be replaced under warranty.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:27 AM
weslutes

That's what I thought. I just can't wait for APS to send it.
Hopefully they'll be cool & replace it eventually. Then I could have a spare one for high octane.