Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo Seal Leaking Oil on Turbonetics Turbo ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 03:01 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post a pic of your current return line routing...It does sound like a bad seal but its pretty hard to believe it that it would go bad like that...
Old 12-28-2005, 03:26 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see you saw the pics in the other thread of the wastegate. I don't have any other pics. And those pics are before the re-routing.

Respect
JET
Old 12-28-2005, 03:31 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
I see you saw the pics in the other thread of the wastegate. I don't have any other pics. And those pics are before the re-routing.

Respect
JET
Hmmm.. I'd like to see more of it but if thats all you have ok...I just hope that if it is the seal that it wasn't caused over time by poor draining. Like if it took this long to finally overwhelm the seal and then you swap turbos and a few months later it happens again its going to be aggrivating to fix it then...but hey its worth a shot. Turbonetics will send you a replacement turbo for free so just shoot Reggie an email and he will send you the new turbo and an RMA for the old one...
Old 12-28-2005, 03:38 PM
JETPILOT

Well you couldn't route the oil return any better than what I did now. It is flowing down hill now with no horizontal area in the line anywhere.

I asked AAM to cut the line shorter when they re-routed the oil line to fit the wastegate in, and I also asked CP Racing the shorten the line when they installed the kit. No one did anything.

Should I check anything else before I call it a turbo seal ????? Am I missing something ????

Respect
JET
Old 12-28-2005, 03:52 PM
MIAPLAYA

Well you couldn't route the oil return any better than what I did now. It is flowing down hill now with no horizontal area in the line anywhere.

I asked AAM to cut the line shorter when they re-routed the oil line to fit the wastegate in, and I also asked CP Racing the shorten the line when they installed the kit. No one did anything.

Should I check anything else before I call it a turbo seal ????? Am I missing something ????

Respect
JET
Nope thats it...swap the turbo and hope the drain wasn't an issue..
Old 12-28-2005, 03:58 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I wish APS handled their warranty claims this way; GRD had to send my turbos back to APS in Austrailia, wait a month while they repaired them, and then wait for it to be sent back, at MY shipping expense at $150 each way.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:03 PM
onyx350z

Sorry to post on your thread, but I am having my Turbonetics installed in about 10 days, should I have them shorten the oil line? Why would that be necessary, is it a defect from the manufacture?
Old 12-28-2005, 05:04 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by onyx350z
Sorry to post on your thread, but I am having my Turbonetics installed in about 10 days, should I have them shorten the oil line? Why would that be necessary, is it a defect from the manufacture?
No its been fine for every other 169 of the kits besides this one. Just make sure the oil return has no uphills..
Old 12-28-2005, 05:08 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by onyx350z
My oil return line is an aftermarket line that plumbs into my AAM oil pan spacer for the return so I did not have to drill into my engine block. You may want to consider doing the same.

Respect
JET
Old 12-28-2005, 05:10 PM
SoFla350z

My oil return line is an aftermarket line that plumbs into my AAM oil pan spacer for the return so I did not have to drill into my engine block. You may want to consider doing the same.
without the spacer is it drilled into the block or the pan?
Old 12-28-2005, 05:10 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by SoFla350z
without the spacer is it drilled into the block or the pan?
The upper oil pan which part of the block...
Old 12-28-2005, 05:11 PM
kcobean

^+1....Tapping the upper pan is the ONLY thing that makes this kit not 100% reversible. If you install a pan spacer and ever decide to sell the car, you can strip the kit off and nobody would ever know it was there. There is also some risk involved with drilling/tapping a hole in the side of the upper pan. If you screw it up and have to replace the upper pan (as one or two folks have had to do), it involves removing the engine or dropping the whole front suspension.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:29 PM
SoFla350z

I am trying to find the spacer on aam site but couldnt find it. What did you pay for it. Will the still spacer work for this, or is it not thick enough ?
Old 12-28-2005, 05:30 PM
MIAPLAYA

I am trying to find the spacer on aam site but couldnt find it. What did you pay for it. Will the still spacer work for this, or is it not thick enough ?
It should work for this..To my knowledge JETPILOT is the only one with it on this kit. Others have used the JWT spacer with good success...
Old 12-28-2005, 05:41 PM
JETPILOT

The AAM, and the JWT spacer come drilled for the oil return. The AAM pan spacer is nicer because it is CNC machined (not cast), and comes with the oil return line.

Call AAM tomorrow. The link to their site is in my signature below. I think they are ready to ship these. I think it was $250 or some sh*t.

Respect
JET
Old 12-28-2005, 05:49 PM
MIAPLAYA

The AAM, and the JWT spacer come drilled for the oil return. The AAM pan spacer is nicer because it is CNC machined (not cast), and comes with the oil return line.

Call AAM tomorrow. The link to their site is in my signature below. I think they are ready to ship these. I think it was $250 or some sh*t.

Respect
JET
This is very true..although as far as I know the JWT is not pre-drilled (the one I just installed last Friday wasn't)
Old 12-28-2005, 05:57 PM
SoFla350z

Well hopefully the stillen will do fine. I just ordered it due to it only being 99 dollars, same as the JWT. But JWT doesn't have regular online shopping cart checkout and stillen does. JWT's site says there spacer is not drilled, unless it comes with there kit.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:58 PM
MIAPLAYA

Well hopefully the stillen will do fine. I just ordered it due to it only being 99 dollars, same as the JWT. But JWT doesn't have regular online shopping cart checkout and stillen does. JWT's site says there spacer is not drilled, unless it comes with there kit.
I'm pretty sure the Stillen one is the JWT one..
Old 12-29-2005, 04:31 PM
JETPILOT

I called Turbonetics, and spoke to Reggie. He is having a new turbo sent to me to replace the one with the suspected blown seal. He is sending the new turbo at his expense and sent it to arrive on Monday. I thought that was really nice of him. I'm a happy TN owner !!!! Thanks Reggie.

Respect
JET
Old 12-29-2005, 04:33 PM
MIAPLAYA

I called Turbonetics, and spoke to Reggie. He is having a new turbo sent to me to replace the one with the suspected blown seal. He is sending the new turbo at his expense and sent it to arrive on Monday. I thought that was really nice of him. I'm a happy TN owner !!!! Thanks Reggie.

Respect
JET
I'm glad Reggie could take care of you...Hopefully this is all it was...

Quick Reply: Turbo Seal Leaking Oil on Turbonetics Turbo ????