Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

zUTEC and boost up at AAM

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 03:17 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah but the Blitz SBC can change boost settings instantly and does not preclude the use of different maps for pump gas/race gas. So it looks like the cost of the Blitz is the only issue (other than the UTEC features not yet enabled).
Old 12-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not sure how boost control works on the Z, having not used it yet, but on the other models (WRX/Evo), the UTEC controls boost, so its also available at the touch of the remote switch button

ie - map 1 10 psi
map 2 - 15 psi
Old 12-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
being able to store a high boost/low boost and pump gas/race gas setup on the utec without the need for a $500 EBC.....
We need to ask Jermaine to confirm the boost control functionality, becuase I see the programming in the software, and why would the boost control solenoid be diffferent vs. the units used on the WRX?
Old 12-31-2005, 03:32 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I agree...I don't see how/why it would be
Old 12-31-2005, 03:36 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I agree...I don't see how/why it would be
TXS offers several manual boost controllers, but where are the electronic versions that could interface with a UTEC?

Manual Boost Controllers
BC-SBC Standard Boost Controller $85.00
BC-HPBC High Performance Boost Controller $135.00
BC-DSBC Dual Stage Boost Controller $249.00
BC-HPDS High Performance Dual Stage Boost Controller $269.00
BC-CBC Conv Kit: BC-SBC to BC-DSBC $164.00
Old 12-31-2005, 03:44 PM
vitaminZ

The UTEC is making me salivate! I didn't know it had a boost contol feature. That will save me some more money!! saved @$130-160 on brand new RC 550cc injectors the day before yesterday. that $$ will help pay for my tune Very good information everybody! i will order it again within the next few days from an authorized dealer this time! lol
Old 12-31-2005, 03:47 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by vitaminZ
The UTEC is making me salivate! I didn't know it had a boost contol feature. That will save me some more money!! saved @$130-160 on brand new RC 550cc injectors the day before yesterday. that $$ will help pay for my tune Very good information everybody! i will order it again within the next few days from an authorized dealer this time! lol

Glad this thread helped. But lets just confirm with Jermaine, that the boost control function currently works. If not, maybe he give us an ETA...otherwise, you still might need that boost controller.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:59 PM
vitaminZ

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Glad this thread helped. But lets just confirm with Jermaine, that the boost control function currently works. If not, maybe he give us an ETA...otherwise, you still might need that boost controller.

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYBODY!! where are my manners! lol i am over seas right now, it has been the new year for @4 hours!

If the boost controller is not functional at the moment but will be in the future, can't i just stay at a predetermined PSI (8.5) till the software update releases?
Old 12-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I had a brain schism for a second. As I recall, they are working on a solenoid that will be used. I dont think it's out, nor do I think there is an ETA.

vitaminz - yes absolutely...just run the wastegate psi pressure
Old 12-31-2005, 04:41 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Yes, but you are going to need a retune once you get the boost controller feature working. If the ETA is several months out, you might be better served by getting an aftermarket boost controller now, and tuning the car just once.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
We need to ask Jermaine to confirm the boost control functionality, becuase I see the programming in the software, and why would the boost control solenoid be diffferent vs. the units used on the WRX?
The WRX is a factory turbo charged car and already has a MAP sensor as well as a BCS.The WRX UTEC uses the factor boost control selenoid and simply alters the way in which it bleeds off air by sending signals to it from the UTEC.So in other words,the WRX UTEC controls the factory BCS and Boost settings and has its own boost map. The only thing needed to make the Z work like this is a Selenoid, like the one with the APS kit.Then you just map your boost map like you fuel and timing maps..Were actually going to be trying it this week since I have the APS BCS lying around..Currently we were using a simple manual boost controler.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:17 PM
captj3

This will be intresting to see if the aps solenoid will work with the utec. Let us know the results.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by captj3
This will be intresting to see if the aps solenoid will work with the utec. Let us know the results.
It should, it is only a generic BCS for the Uni-chip..same theory involved, I just need to ask Jermaine which input we need to wire it in to..
Old 01-01-2006, 02:35 PM
rs350z

I will be suscribing to this thread I am looking for some anwsers also. I have the blitz SBC but planned on getting the UTEC, the boost control of the UTEC never even crossed my mind. Would like to see some input from Jermaine =)
Old 01-01-2006, 03:50 PM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by vitaminZ
HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYBODY!! where are my manners! lol i am over seas right now, it has been the new year for @4 hours!

If the boost controller is not functional at the moment but will be in the future, can't i just stay at a predetermined PSI (8.5) till the software update releases?
The UTEC Boost Control is functional we currently do not have a solenoid available for sale right now. I will have an UTEC Solenoid available shortly.

The Z UTEC boost control shares the same as offered for the WRX and EVO UTEC.
It should, it is only a generic BCS for the Uni-chip..same theory involved, I just need to ask Jermaine which input we need to wire it in to..
You can hard wire any type of Boost Control Solenoid as long as it does not exceed the 2 amp load specification.

The solenoid we will offer is very high quality unit. We use a poly blend casing to protect the unit from vibration this also allows the solenoid to be very quiet and it also has a 120 psi capacity .

Thanks,

Jermaine~

Happy New Year!!!

Last edited by BlackTuner; 01-01-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:46 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
The UTEC Boost Control is functional we currently do not have a solenoid available for sale right now. I will have an UTEC Solenoid available shortly.
Time frame? Cost?

Respect
JET
Old 01-01-2006, 05:06 PM
vitaminZ

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Time frame? Cost?

Respect
JET
+1
Old 01-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by BlackTuner

The Z UTEC boost control shares the same as offered for the WRX and EVO UTEC.

You can hard wire any type of Boost Control Solenoid as long as it does not exceed the 2 amp load specification.

The solenoid we will offer is very high quality unit. We use a poly blend casing to protect the unit from vibration this also allows the solenoid to be very quiet and it also has a 120 psi capacity .

Thanks,

Jermaine~

Happy New Year!!!
Thanks for clarifying Jermaine.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Willie Dynamite

Hey gringott, how about some numbers.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:58 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike at AAM has the numbers. I left late with no papers from the dyno. Hopefully, he will email to me. I will contact this week.

Quick Reply: zUTEC and boost up at AAM