Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Just got the block sleeved, but not the "usual" sleeve/deck job

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 02:39 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Just got the block sleeved, but not the "usual" sleeve/deck job

Well...in fact only one cylinder was sleeved. This is a good block with only 80-100 miles on it, and had a piston disintegrate in it. The scuff did not come out with the usual .020" overbore, so pressing in a sleeve to fix it was the only way. To be honest, i didn't even know that this has been done forour motor. Whenever I thought of sleeves, i always thought of Darton/AEBS T-sleeves.

So, here are some pics...

Our stock motors have the steel inserts from about 2mm below deck down. The block Al casting is done over and under them at each cylinder. So the machinst (who has over 30 years of experience) said that this is the way to repair them, and I am inclined to trust them. In fact, Daron makes inserts such as this from the same material as their T-sleeves. I have heard of at least one insanely high HP car that has been runnign them well (and I mean well) over 1000hp before they started to have issues with it. So that's another avenue that has not been undertaken by the Z community that I believe deserves consideration.

A question for the specialsts: the sleeve is about 1/2 a thou (0.0005") above the deck. I am sure the headgasket will byte on that cylinder, but do you think that it will create issues on the other two cylinders on that bank by virtue of having had lifted the head in one point.

Last edited by GurgenPB; 01-01-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:26 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are your plans for this motor? What did this cost you?

Respect
JET
Old 01-01-2006, 03:55 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Putting my PE TT kit on it, along with pauter rods, Arias Xtreme duty pistons (9:1 CR), and Nismo cams.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:58 PM
G352NV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good your car is going to rock! Cant wait to see some numbers
Old 01-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Gumpdriver

Work it man, happy to know you are on your way back to getting on the road.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:23 PM
nissansource

jwt makes the cams for nismo run jwt cams abit more agressive.... is this going in a sedan g35?
Old 01-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Enron Exec

Wow! Im damn glad you havn't pulled the plug on your car yet Gurg. Your the only one that i know of that has had more heart ache modding then I.

; )
Old 01-01-2006, 04:53 PM
G352NV

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Putting my PE TT kit on it, along with pauter rods, Arias Xtreme duty pistons (9:1 CR), and Nismo cams.
Gurgen I though for sure you would go with the SP cams. Why did you go with the Nismo?
Old 01-01-2006, 05:25 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Hey Guys

NV,
Ted's got a set of Nismo cams for $500. Good enough for me.

Wow! Im damn glad you havn't pulled the plug on your car yet Gurg. Your the only one that i know of that has had more heart ache modding then I.
YOu da man! Your tribulations I'm aware off! Thanks for the thumbs up!

jwt makes the cams for nismo run jwt cams abit more agressive.... is this going in a sedan g35?
For FI, even stock cams are very good. remember that FI cams must be of a very different design than NA cams, namely low overlap. The more aggressive the NA cam, the greater the overlap. I am jsut trying to increase efficiency here a bit, that's all. And yes, this is for my SEDAN.

Again, thanks for the good wishes... And if anyone has any ideas about the question I asked in my post, I'd still love to hear it.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Nice work. You are correct in that the VQ35 uses cast iron liners, surrounded by aluminum. So this repair job is certainly doable, and I wouldnt see any issues with it, especially given his experience.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:42 PM
tinman

the sleeve is about 1/2 a thou (0.0005") above the deck. I am sure the headgasket will byte on that cylinder, but do you think that it will create issues on the other two cylinders on that bank by virtue of having had lifted the head in one point.
.0005" is so little step,that's 1/6 of a hair.with all the torque in the studs will make the headgasket bite down nicely.when the alumminum engine get hot,it'll expand more than the steel sleeve anyway.so i don't think there is any proplem.
but that's just me
just incase you don't like it.it take nothing to stone down .0005" with a good India stone.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:08 PM
g356gear

A question for the specialsts: the sleeve is about 1/2 a thou (0.0005") above the deck. I am sure the headgasket will byte on that cylinder, but do you think that it will create issues on the other two cylinders on that bank by virtue of having had lifted the head in one point.
My only concern with this scenario, is that usually after being re-sleeved, the block gets decked to even off all cylinders to be the same. What was his logic for not evening the deck surface. Logic dictates that this would be a source for possible headgasket failure.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:20 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by g356gear
My only concern with this scenario, is that usually after being re-sleeved, the block gets decked to even off all cylinders to be the same. What was his logic for not evening the deck surface. Logic dictates that this would be a source for possible headgasket failure.
His logic was that it is not necessary, though adviseable. I think he didn't do it because i wouldn't like the added cost ($60). I would have insisted on it if I had known that it could be an issue. I seriously think that it's not though, but I have been wrong. The guy was absolutely sure that it will NOT be an issue. 0.0005" is really very little.

Hearing from Steve (tinman) above that it will not be, him being a fabricator as well, gives me some comfort. Either way, I will be calling the guy tomorrow to make sure.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Big plans huh bud? I can't wait till this is all up and running Man your sedan will be a BEAST
Old 01-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

good luck Gurgen [again! ]

that looks like a well repaired cylinder...

whats that salt looking stuff on the other side of the sleeve?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:41 AM
tinman

look to me like just the imperfection of the aluminum casting.nothing to worry about
Old 01-03-2006, 09:28 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

His logic was that it is not necessary, though adviseable. I think he didn't do it because i wouldn't like the added cost ($60). I would have insisted on it if I had known that it could be an issue. I seriously think that it's not though, but I have been wrong. The guy was absolutely sure that it will NOT be an issue. 0.0005" is really very little.

Hearing from Steve (tinman) above that it will not be, him being a fabricator as well, gives me some comfort. Either way, I will be calling the guy tomorrow to make sure.

Steve is actually a machinist
Old 01-03-2006, 12:32 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesnt matter if its just a little over, Gurgen is going to blow it up regardless... I mean isnt that what he does for a living? Blow up VQ motors

Good luck with this one man, hopefully it gets put together right this time!

-George
Old 01-03-2006, 03:33 PM
johnlotusboy

nissan says never deck block if warped over .004" any direction throw away.
That said it should not be an issue with .0005", if you deck the block very much you need to do a lot more work. main issue is the bolt up of the front cover and intake manifold shift due to the heads being closer together/lower.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:38 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by TurboTim
Steve is actually a machinist
My bad. I misspoke.

Quick Reply: Just got the block sleeved, but not the "usual" sleeve/deck job