Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Brand New Long Block / Build In Which Order?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 08:41 AM
done12many2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New Long Block / Build In Which Order?

I just made arrangements to pick up a brand new crate long block VQ35 for $1500. I believe that I am getting a fantastic deal on the long block and would like to get some advise on which way I should go about my build up. I think that building the brand new motor up with the forged internals makes more sense. If I did it this way, I would only be pulling and replacing the motor once. Plus I have a brand new crank and bearings already in the long block and as I’ve read, you just use new OEM bearing anyways for built VQ35s. Does this train of thought make sense? Or should I replace the old motor with the brand new one and drive on it while I build up the old long block? Any advise is appreciated as many of you have already been through this process and have discovered things you would have done differently if you had it all to do again.We are in no real hurry to get this done as the motor in my Z runs fine now. We are just excited to see what the last 40,000 miles of nitrous use have done to the pistons.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:01 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by done12many2
I just made arrangements to pick up a brand new crate long block VQ35 for $1500. I believe that I am getting a fantastic deal on the long block and would like to get some advise on which way I should go about my build up. I think that building the brand new motor up with the forged internals makes more sense. If I did it this way, I would only be pulling and replacing the motor once. Plus I have a brand new crank and bearings already in the long block and as I’ve read, you just use new OEM bearing anyways for built VQ35s. Does this train of thought make sense? Or should I replace the old motor with the brand new one and drive on it while I build up the old long block? Any advise is appreciated as many of you have already been through this process and have discovered things you would have done differently if you had it all to do again.We are in no real hurry to get this done as the motor in my Z runs fine now. We are just excited to see what the last 40,000 miles of nitrous use have done to the pistons.
Wow, this is sweet. I live in S.A, too and would love to check out this engine work too man. I would do the build up on the new one that is out of the car. Cheaper to go ahead and do it on the motor that isn't in the car already.

I knew a guy in Houston. His name was Don Cooper and he owned the fastest Maxima at that time with a auto VQ. He ran low 12s at the time and that was fast for that car. Anyways, he ran 150 shot of nos for over 100k of engine miles on that car without any problems. That car was a daily driver the beginning of its life with nos then it became a dedicated drag strip car. Now its in storage last I heard still running fine though.

Anyways, here is my # if you want to hook up. I live in the Northside, 281/1604 area.

210-495-5216 hm, 210-387-9474 cell.

Russell Zotz
Old 01-04-2006, 09:13 AM
done12many2

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Wow, this is sweet. I live in S.A, too and would love to check out this engine work too man. I would do the build up on the new one that is out of the car. Cheaper to go ahead and do it on the motor that isn't in the car already.

I knew a guy in Houston. His name was Don Cooper and he owned the fastest Maxima at that time with a auto VQ. He ran low 12s at the time and that was fast for that car. Anyways, he ran 150 shot of nos for over 100k of engine miles on that car without any problems. That car was a daily driver the beginning of its life with nos then it became a dedicated drag strip car. Now its in storage last I heard still running fine though.

Anyways, here is my # if you want to hook up. I live in the Northside, 281/1604 area.

210-495-5216 hm, 210-387-9474 cell.

Russell Zotz
I will definitely get in touch with you after we pick the new long block up. I am still not sure on which route I am going as I have become a big fan of nitrous. I am just not a big fan of refilling the bottle all the time.

Just as the guy you knew from Houston with the Maxima, I have quite a few miles with no problems. The Z now has 66,000 miles on it and runs great. It feels just as strong or even stronger now than before I put the nitrous system in it.

I do burn a little oil between changes, but this was a problem that I had prior to the nitrous.

I have given a lot of thought to higher compression forged pistons and rods mated with cams in the new motor. Higher compression and nitrous do well together within reason. I will still have that one little problem of always having to refill the bottle. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if I didn't spray so much.

Thanks for the advise and I will make it a point to call you when we break the new long block open.

Bill
Old 01-04-2006, 09:34 AM
mjedens

Default Long Block

How did you manage getting a "new" engine for $1500?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Im from SA too --- Hey --Im trying to get a little get together Sat afternoon Maybe out at SA Raceway---I got 2 maybe more guys lined up. Im 5 miles from the track and am building a new 2700 sq ft shop out here. Give a shout if ur interested ----- Hey , Cool price on that motor ----Id build the new one. Cheaper and a quicker turnover. Then ----Hell, Build or sell the old one for working capital.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:58 AM
done12many2

Originally Posted by mjedens
How did you manage getting a "new" engine for $1500?
Someone else's misfortune. I saw it for sale on EBAY and initially thought it was a scam. I sent a couple of messages to him which he returned and began to feel more comfortable about it. Then he called and after talking to him I knew he had exactly what I wanted.

The motor is at a shop here in Texas and was originally purchased with the intention of a full build up. The owner of the car it was going in did not realize what he was getting into and had to back out midway through the project.

The shop owner has allowed me to pay him when I pick it up on the 15th of this month, upon full inspection. I have decided to take the guy doing my build with me to make sure everything checks out, but after talking to the shop owner, I have no worries. The shop owner has apparently done a lot of work for another active duty Marine in the past and has no problem holding the motor for me based on my word until I get a chance to pick it up.

I think the 7 to 8 hour drive will be well worth it!
Attached Thumbnails Brand New Long Block / Build In Which Order?-33_1.jpe   Brand New Long Block / Build In Which Order?-84_1.jpe   Brand New Long Block / Build In Which Order?-d7_1.jpe   Brand New Long Block / Build In Which Order?-14_1.jpe  
Old 01-04-2006, 11:02 AM
done12many2

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
Im from SA too --- Hey --Im trying to get a little get together Sat afternoon Maybe out at SA Raceway---I got 2 maybe more guys lined up. Im 5 miles from the track and am building a new 2700 sq ft shop out here. Give a shout if ur interested ----- Hey , Cool price on that motor ----Id build the new one. Cheaper and a quicker turnover. Then ----Hell, Build or sell the old one for working capital.
Meeting up on Saturday would be great! Shoot me with a PM with your name and number and I'll give you a call to get the details from you!

Tell me more about the shop!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:25 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shop owner has allowed me to pay him when I pick it up on the 15th of this month, upon full inspection. I have decided to take the guy doing my build with me to make sure everything checks out, but after talking to the shop owner, I have no worries. The shop owner has apparently done a lot of work for another active duty Marine in the past and has no problem holding the motor for me based on my word until I get a chance to pick it up.

I think the 7 to 8 hour drive will be well worth it!
Good thing you have not paid yet....That motor will not work in your Z. It is out of a FWD car like an Altima or Maxima.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:46 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Originally Posted by Kyle(Houston)
Good thing you have not paid yet....That motor will not work in your Z. It is out of a FWD car like an Altima or Maxima.

hahahahaha pwnd!
Old 01-04-2006, 12:03 PM
done12many2

Good thing I posted those pictures! How do you tell?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:11 PM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thing I posted those pictures! How do you tell?
In the last picture...toward the rear of the block is the 4 bolt holes for the motor mount. On the FWD cars they are at the back of the block like in your picture. On the RWD cars and trucks they are in the center of the block.

Always ask for pictures of the block when buying a VQ35 engine
Old 01-04-2006, 12:35 PM
done12many2

In the last picture...toward the rear of the block is the 4 bolt holes for the motor mount. On the FWD cars they are at the back of the block like in your picture. On the RWD cars and trucks they are in the center of the block.

Always ask for pictures of the block when buying a VQ35 engine
Thanks a million. You saved me a trip! I called my buddy at Nissan and he is looking it up for me right now. Good thing no money has been exchanged!

PoWeRtRiP, thanks for your useful feedback as well!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:06 PM
DSport G35

Good call Kyle. I have a complete 04' longblock for sale, 26,000 miles, perfect condition. PM me if your interested. Good luck with the build.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:13 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Saturday I will have to see. Grab my # from above and just call me then. I will be at the Z club meet next Tuesday at Chesters though off Broadway around 6:30 or so.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Good eye Kyle on the motor mount.
And thank goodness for the forum! It's the best vetting mechanism on the planet.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:49 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Thanks a million. You saved me a trip! I called my buddy at Nissan and he is looking it up for me right now. Good thing no money has been exchanged!

PoWeRtRiP, thanks for your useful feedback as well!
i wasnt referrign to u. its the seller of the block that tried to pull one over on u. thats really f'ed up he tried to sell it as a z block, but its out of a fwd car. good for u that u havent paid for it yet.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:33 AM
done12many2

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
i wasnt referrign to u. its the seller of the block that tried to pull one over on u. thats really f'ed up he tried to sell it as a z block, but its out of a fwd car. good for u that u havent paid for it yet.
Good to go! If you think about it, Kyle saved me a wasted 7 hour trip. I would have figured out a way to still have fun of the trip, but I would have been pissed. I think I owe you a beer sir!
Old 01-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Gman2004

Good to go! If you think about it, Kyle saved me a wasted 7 hour trip. I would have figured out a way to still have fun of the trip, but I would have been pissed. I think I owe you a beer sir!
In return for him saving you time and $$$ you should buy your motor from kyle. he has them already built so no wait time.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:13 AM
g356gear

Originally Posted by Gman2004
In return for him saving you time and $$$ you should buy your motor from kyle. he has them already built so no wait time.
Does Kyle still have motors without the SGP affiliation?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by g356gear
Does Kyle still have motors without the SGP affiliation?
Yes he does.

Quick Reply: Brand New Long Block / Build In Which Order?