Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Tnetics Overboost w/Aftermarket Exhaust List

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 11:41 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xluv2eatx
still no pipe....whats the number and the guys name again, i forgot....
Reggie 805-581-6710
Old 03-21-2006, 08:04 PM
ECKZLNT

Unhappy the fix didn't work for me

Yeah, I'm an idiot! if you have any problems, make sure everything is hooked up correctly..including your boost gauge

Last edited by ECKZLNT; 03-23-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:45 PM
BlackStevo8
Banned

heres the problem: with stock exhaust there is back pressure keeping the exhaust wheel slowed down, so between teh wastegate being fully open and the exhauts wheel being slowed down, boost is maintained. Recirculating also causes a vacuum effect that helps to draw air out of the wastegate outlet pipe. So if you run a more free-flowing exhaust, or dump teh wastegate into the atmosphere (which divides the amount of exhaust gases going through the exhaust pipe almost in half) Now those backed up gases from the turbine can escape quicker, giving less restriction on the exhaust wheel, thus creating more boost. A few people here and there seem to be ok with aftermarket exhaust, but is anyone running 7-8 psi with wide open exhaust??? The only fix for this problem, if I'm right, would be to run a larger wastegate, or a 2nd gate.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:47 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackStevo8
heres the problem: with stock exhaust there is back pressure keeping the exhaust wheel slowed down, so between teh wastegate being fully open and the exhauts wheel being slowed down, boost is maintained. Recirculating also causes a vacuum effect that helps to draw air out of the wastegate outlet pipe. So if you run a more free-flowing exhaust, or dump teh wastegate into the atmosphere (which divides the amount of exhaust gases going through the exhaust pipe almost in half) Now those backed up gases from the turbine can escape quicker, giving less restriction on the exhaust wheel, thus creating more boost. A few people here and there seem to be ok with aftermarket exhaust, but is anyone running 7-8 psi with wide open exhaust??? The only fix for this problem, if I'm right, would be to run a larger wastegate, or a 2nd gate.
The problem is the mounting of the wastegate. The wastegate is mounted in an inneficient manner 90 degrees to the gas flow allowing the turbine to be the path of least resistance for exhaust gasses rather than the wastegate. The wastegate in the original position can't flow enough exhaust to regulate boost.

Respect
JET
Old 03-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Meatshackle

(1)nissansource
(2)kcobean
(3)35ounces
(4)636Racer
(5)ZPHATZ
(6)taurran
(7)SoFla350Z
(8)D350Z10
(9)solidsnake
(10)Shalopay33
(11)INTENSEPOWER
(12)2slo2bfurious
(13)bverschage
(14) rs350z
(15) Eckzlnt
(16) Meatshackle

I should've ordered another spring also. If I'm ripping it apart I might as well upgrade a little. Boost controller here I come.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:18 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ECKZLNT
I installed the WG relocation kit this weekend, but it didn't seem to do much.
Before I got the fix, I put my stock exhaust back on, but I would still hit 15+ psi (boost guage only goes up to 15) at times, and would hit 12+ psi anytime I was at WOT in 2-6 gears. 1st gear, I don't think I ever got it over 8psi.

I got the new pipes, put them on, and test drove it, still hitting 14.5psi at times, and always overboosting, never stopping even near 10 psi or less. I checked, and rechecked everything about a million times. checked all my vacuum hoses, re routed them to try different configurations, still nothing worked. I tried using other boost guages, and at different locations. at one time I had the boost guage connected as per instructions, and another T'ed in between the compressor and WG, and they both read about the same.

At this point, I am figuring it has to be the waste gate, so tonight, I took it out. I hooked it up to an air compressor, and at <10psi (guage isn't accurate) it opened. I then took out the spring to the WG (so it should always be open) and installed it on the car. I test drove it thinking in theory it shouldn't make any boost (correct me if I'm wrong) and I still hit 7.5psi.

So I guess that is my fix for now, just leave it the way it is. My overboosting is gone, and at least my fear of breaking something bad. Although, even with all of the overboosting, my AFR at WOT always ranged from the high 10's to low 12's..and mostly in the mid-high 11's, but no clue on what my timing was.

If anyone has any suggestions on what it could be, or possible solutions, please let me know, thanks.
Wow. Sounds odd. That means that your WG is open all the time (or close to it) and you can still build 7.5psi? try a 5psi spring to see what it does. Almost sounds like there is a blockage in the dump pipe.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:58 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 35ounces
Wow. Sounds odd. That means that your WG is open all the time (or close to it) and you can still build 7.5psi? try a 5psi spring to see what it does. Almost sounds like there is a blockage in the dump pipe.
Agreed...sounds like something is stopping the vent back to the downpipe... Especially if you are running the stock exhaust...
Old 03-22-2006, 05:59 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by BlackStevo8
If you read through the thread you would have seen that a larger gate was tried and did not fix the issue. The only way to fix the issue was to move the wastegate. Thats why Turbonetics sent out relocation pipes for free to all their customers.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:03 PM
ECKZLNT

I guess I should contact turbonetics and get the spring.

In the meantime, I should check to see if there's anything blocking the dump pipe. I agree that it does sound like some sort of blockage, but I have no idea how/when it could have happened, but I guess there have been more weird things than this...
Old 03-22-2006, 01:27 PM
MIAPLAYA

I guess I should contact turbonetics and get the spring.

In the meantime, I should check to see if there's anything blocking the dump pipe. I agree that it does sound like some sort of blockage, but I have no idea how/when it could have happened, but I guess there have been more weird things than this...
Yeah something is definitely not right there. Well you call Reggie ask him to send you a replacement wastegate not just a spring. Just in case. Also please make sure the vacuum line going to it is not blocked and does not have a hole in it. Also make sure its connected to the port furthest away from the Turbonetics logo. In fact if you have a pic post it.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:28 PM
SleepyZ

SleepyZ/rsrgt2/ 2.5
Old 03-23-2006, 10:52 PM
ECKZLNT

Gosh, I am such an idiot! After all the frustration I was having, it turns out my boost gauge was hooked up wrong, looks like i skipped over the step where it says it needs to be hooked up to a power source that doesn't turn off when the engine is cranked. I wasn't making any boost without the spring, and I am only hitting 8psi now, so everything is working great. Please ignore my brain fart of a problem. Thanks for those who tried to help.

Also, does anyone know of any circuits/power sources that do NOT cut power then the key is turned to Start? Preferably in the foot area fuse panel. I was looking at the FSM and it looks like i could tap into the O2 sensor circuit. Thanks in advance....
Old 03-24-2006, 04:54 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

LOL, you couldnt tell you were not boosting? Well, I'm glad you got it figured out and it was not a real issue.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:27 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gosh, I am such an idiot! After all the frustration I was having, it turns out my boost gauge was hooked up wrong, looks like i skipped over the step where it says it needs to be hooked up to a power source that doesn't turn off when the engine is cranked. I wasn't making any boost without the spring, and I am only hitting 8psi now, so everything is working great. Please ignore my brain fart of a problem. Thanks for those who tried to help.

Also, does anyone know of any circuits/power sources that do NOT cut power then the key is turned to Start? Preferably in the foot area fuse panel. I was looking at the FSM and it looks like i could tap into the O2 sensor circuit. Thanks in advance....
I wonder why they specify a circuit that isn't interrupted during engine start? I mean, it's not like you're going to need a reading during that time. As long as the gauge has power when the key is in the "on" position, that should do the trick. Do they say why?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:03 AM
ECKZLNT

LOL, you couldnt tell you were not boosting? Well, I'm glad you got it figured out and it was not a real issue.
yes, I could tell I wasn't boosting, which is why I was getting frustrated, and didn't think it was a mechanical problem. The car felt slower than what I remembered it being stock, it felt like it took a million years for it to move. On my 1st quick test drive, I figured it was just just slower at 7.5 psi than at 15. Then I realized it was just too slow....

Originally Posted by kcobean
I wonder why they specify a circuit that isn't interrupted during engine start? I mean, it's not like you're going to need a reading during that time. As long as the gauge has power when the key is in the "on" position, that should do the trick. Do they say why?
They say it has something to do with its auto calibration. Here are the instructions for it, they explain it better.
http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/526.pdf
Old 03-24-2006, 09:23 AM
xluv2eatx

well i called reggie....he said it should be mid april til i get my pipe.....so much for tuning my car this weekend...lol...i got time, as long as its fixed..

dm
Old 03-24-2006, 04:27 PM
MIAPLAYA

yes, I could tell I wasn't boosting, which is why I was getting frustrated, and didn't think it was a mechanical problem. The car felt slower than what I remembered it being stock, it felt like it took a million years for it to move. On my 1st quick test drive, I figured it was just just slower at 7.5 psi than at 15. Then I realized it was just too slow....

They say it has something to do with its auto calibration. Here are the instructions for it, they explain it better.
http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/526.pdf
I have the same style gauge. There is a solid red wire in the lower fuse panel that is thicker then all the others. Thats where mine is hooked . Either use that or the Black wire with red stripe under the steering column. You need to pull the plastic steering cover off to get to it. Thats where my turbo timer is tapped. My guages are tapped to the red solid wire in the drivers foot well fuse bank.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:28 AM
xluv2eatx

anybody else gotten their pipes...im still waiting and trying to keep this thread alive!!!!!

lol
Old 04-10-2006, 09:32 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by xluv2eatx
anybody else gotten their pipes...im still waiting and trying to keep this thread alive!!!!!

lol
Almost everyone has...did you PM Reggie with your info? Give him a call for me if you would at 805-581-6710
Old 04-10-2006, 09:33 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

yeah, got mine and have it installed....works great.

Quick Reply: Tnetics Overboost w/Aftermarket Exhaust List