Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Jim Wolf TT - DYNO RESULTS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 08:52 PM
vision619

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionJackson
Congrats mike, I still remember the car at the san diego meet with the SC heh, sweet looking ride then. Are you coming up for the Jtuned meet @ Irwindale speedway tomorrow?
Hey man, It was nice seeing you today at the Irwindale Raceway show. Sorry I didn't have much time to talk. Was wraped up in all kinds of $hit. Maybe we can hook up at the meet next wekend ... Let me know.

PS ... Did you see the guy in the drift comp. put his daily driver (Silvia) into the wall!!!! Oh man, that sucks BIG TIME!!
Old 01-14-2006, 09:25 PM
ActionJackson

Hey Mike, good seeing you at the meet. I heard about that Silvia that really sucks. I saw another 240 lose his rim on a run and a couple of the cars hit rails. Pretty entertaining stuff. Anyway I'll see if I can make it to next weekend's meet.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:37 PM
350Z"Ayame"

aww man. i would lose my freakin mind if i wrecked my z at one of those comps. even a tire would break my heart.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:24 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by ActionJackson
Hey Mike, good seeing you at the meet. I heard about that Silvia that really sucks. I saw another 240 lose his rim on a run and a couple of the cars hit rails. Pretty entertaining stuff. Anyway I'll see if I can make it to next weekend's meet.
Sorry I missed the fun. Was it raining up there?

It started down here in SD around 4 PM

Old 01-15-2006, 08:35 AM
ActionJackson

Yeah it was raining through the whole meet, sometimes light sometimes hard. Pretty big turnout regardless though which was cool.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Beer Goggles

Originally Posted by Bullitproof
just to clear the air chimmike, an exhaust is a supporting mod, adding cams will be 1200 for the sticks and at least 750 for labor. i'm not knocking visions numbers on the jwt kit, i'm saying that don't be dissilusioned into thinking you are gonna get 400 hp out the box with the jwt tt kit and be carb legal. especially at under 7 lbs. of boost. tuning, quality exhaust, cams, all play a factor in those numbers. not hating on the kit, just the way its being marketed. when i can see some examples of other shops installing the kits, with comparable numbers, i'll be a believer. but right now there is one shop in the world installing this kit and the one stock internal car that is out there is cammed up. and if cams only give you 15 hp, why waste over 2000 bucks for them?(jwt cams retail at 1200 dollars) why not just up the boost another pound? just my two cents.

Like I said on the other board. Very misleading on the details of this kit and "out of the box" numbers.

JWT will have a nice TK, this "marketing" of it will do nothing but good for the kit since it is showing numbers on a modded engine.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peak numbers are never conclusive. You will not convince me that one kit TT makes more hp than another TT kit, and I dont think anyone can make that argument.

But this impressive trq curve is not a result of the cams, or any other mod. It's a result of these smaller fast spooling turbo chargers. I have never seen any turbo VQ35 make 300ftlbs at 2000rpm, and that is undisputed. The Greddy and cars usually make about 300ft/lbs at 3000rpm.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:16 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Peak numbers are never conclusive. You will not convince me that one kit TT makes more hp than another TT kit, and I dont think anyone can make that argument.

But this impressive trq curve is not a result of the cams, or any other mod. It's a result of these smaller fast spooling turbo chargers. I have never seen any turbo VQ35 make 300ftlbs at 2000rpm, and that is undisputed. The Greddy and cars usually make about 300ft/lbs at 3000rpm.
The strength of the JWT TT kit is exactly what you are talking about. If peak numbers (or big numbers) are all you are worried about, get a big turbo. The smaller turbo's have limitations when building a motor and going for 550+ hp. If you are concerned about accross the board numbers relative to low, medium, and peak RPM level, the smaller turbos show their strength there. Jim Wolf himself told me the strength of his kit was not peak numbers but those that fall below the curve so to speak. He knows his kit is not for everyone, no kit is and to think one is simply better for everyone regardless of budget or their own needs is childish. Read dyno's closely.

What Sharif is talking about does not matter to people if posting peak dyno numbers is your main goal. If getting into a car and wanting good power in the lower end of the rpm specturm, then it becomes more important. Once again, some like it when their turbo's kick in at higher rpms, they like a bit of a lag and a rush when it kicks in because it seems really powerful to them. There is a difference between what feels fast compared to what is fast and many threads regarding stock 350Z's have been posted mentioning it felt slow because it had power accross the power band vs. peak hp. I suggest you drive both types of turbo kits and find out what you personally like. A good choice is when you got something that drives the way you like it.

This is a good example of why I did not clearly pick a "winner" when we tested the turbo kits @ Sport Z Magazine. Instead of selecting a winner, I felt consumers would be better served to be have the strengths of each kit listed and allow the reader to decide which kit does best to reach their own personal goals for their car. For some, best hp accorss the specturm was important, for some, biggest peak HP out of the box makes it the winner. For others, the potiential for big hp numbers make that type of kit the winner. And for others still, it comes down to bang for the buck, warranty, or ease of installation.

If you know what you like best; accross the board power, peak hp, potiential for 600+ hp, good warranty, ease of installation, or price, then the choice to picking a kit becomes much easier.

Last edited by zland; 01-15-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:18 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

.....100% agree. The torque curve, and how early the torque comes in is what IS the most impressive thing to me about this kit. Its allmost like 0 lag. On all of the cars we have installed this JWT TT kit that low RPM torque curve is always there.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:23 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by zland
The strength of the JWT TT kit is exactly what you are talking about. If peak numbers (or big numbers) are all you are worried about, get a big turbo. The smaller turbo's have limitations when building a motor and going for 550+ hp. If you are concerned about accross the board numbers relative to low, medium, and peak RPM level, the smaller turbos show their strength there. Read dyno's closely.

What Sharif is talking about does not matter to most people if posting peak dyno numbers is your main goal. If getting into a car and wanting good power in the lower end of the rpm specturm, then it becomes more important. Once again, some like it when their turbo's kick in at higher rpms. I suggest you drive both types and find out what you personally like. A good choice is when you got something that drives the way you like it.

So true Jeff, for me......TURBO LAG = LOL hahaha!
Old 01-15-2006, 01:36 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
So true Jeff, for me......TURBO LAG = LOL hahaha!
And clearly because of your dislike of turbo lag, you got a great kit for reducing it to a minimum.

What amazes me is how many people get into an arguement over kits. Would any of you try to argue that a minivan holds more people than a 350Z? Of course you would not! Then, why can't we just understand each kit has strengths and then just select a kit based on which strengths are most important to you for your car?

Last edited by zland; 01-15-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:43 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Sharif and Zland,

Thanks for the info on the Pistons. Will call you this week. I couldn't agree with you more about T Kits. There is no one kit is the GREATEST or better or more power than others, like saying one car is better than another without identifying what the customer wants. Comfort? Top speed? Handling, or even a drop top? What do you want? If you want huge number, get huge turbos that make huge power at the top but have lag. Great for drag, not for roadracing. Smaller turbos make power throughout yet don't deliver the hugest numbers on the dyno and have limits around 500 WHP!

However, I can make this statement with confidence, the JWT kit has lil' to NO LAG.

Have a nice day!

Last edited by mraturbo; 01-15-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by mraturbo
Sharif and Zland,

Thanks for the info on the Pistons. Will call you this week. I couldn't agree with you more about T Kits. There is no one kit is the GREATEST or better or more power than others, like saying one car is better than another without identifying what the customer wants. Comfort? Top speed? Handling, or even a drop top? What do you want? If you want huge number, get huge turbos that make huge power at the top but have lag. Great for drag, not for roadracing. Smaller turbos make power throughout yet don't deliver the hugest numbers on the dyno and have limits around 500 WHP!

However, I can make this statement with confidence, the JWT kit has lil' to NO LAG.

Have a nice day!

Now please bring your car to Charlotte, NC so I can drive the thing!! Your buddy/customer John was scheduled for CPR to do a boost controller install, but his schedule changed. I was soooo close to finally seeing one of these kits in person.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Sharif,

I have a hectic schedule now with school started, but if you wanna take a weekend drive up to Suffolk we can go for a drive. I still need to get that boost controller put in too. hahahaha
Old 01-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
Sharif,

I have a hectic schedule now with school started, but if you wanna take a weekend drive up to Suffolk we can go for a drive. I still need to get that boost controller put in too. hahahaha

Are you planing to make the drive to ZDAYZ? http://www.zdayzevents.com/
Old 01-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

I doubt I will be able to attend, I will be in my clinical rotation at the hospital during that time. No time off for the next 11 months.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:40 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Now please bring your car to Charlotte, NC so I can drive the thing!! Your buddy/customer John was scheduled for CPR to do a boost controller install, but his schedule changed. I was soooo close to finally seeing one of these kits in person.
We have some clients on the East Coast that are most likely going to be trailoring the finished product back home. I know we have a FLA car soon, so when this happens, perhaps we can hook -up. If you ever make it down to Southern Cali., I have something for you to drive for sure.

I am positive your Greddy machine is an awesome beast to drive with 600+ WHP??? Is that on pump? What boost level do you drive around town on?

USN - Like you need any more than 10 lbs of boost and 500+ lbs of torque...Boost controller...LOL

Last edited by mraturbo; 01-15-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

590whp dyno tested on 93 octane at a little bit lower 15.5psi of boost. The stock head gasket starts to weaken at about 620-650whp.
Next time I am in SoCal, I will take you up on that offer.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:14 PM
mraturbo
Banned

590whp dyno tested on 93 octane at a little bit lower 15.5psi of boost. The stock head gasket starts to weaken at about 620-650whp.
Next time I am in SoCal, I will take you up on that offer.
Good to know about the head gaskets. What type and gap on the plugs and how do you address the voltage? We have experienced some problems with running out of voltage at higher boost.

Thanks

Old 01-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by mraturbo
Good to know about the head gaskets. What type and gap on the plugs and how do you address the voltage? We have experienced some problems with running out of voltage at higher boost.

Thanks

Stock gaps at around .040
So far, I havent seen any issues with audible misfires, or blowing out the spark. The stock Nissan coil over plug direct ignition system is pretty darn robust for an OEM setup. At some point, cylinder pressures will be too high for the spark, but I havent seen it yet. The current recycle times seem to be good enough for 7000-7500rpm. We also use NGK Iridium plugs, with a .6mm electrode, which require much less energy to fire, than a traditional (larger electrode) plug. You are correct, at some point the stock ignition system will need an upgrade....yippie.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 01-15-2006 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Jim Wolf TT - DYNO RESULTS!!!