Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

turbo or supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:37 AM
05350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default turbo or supercharger

i was considering the turbo kit but have heard that a supercharger would be more reliable for daily driving. i am considering on building the engine up that being done would it matter weather its turbo or supercharger. from the people that have either what kind of responses have you gotten. could i also get prett y high horsepower from a n/a engine. if so what kind of numbers.

i have a base 350z and selling to get track model because of the differences i rather do the engine work to a more solid start.

i am trying to beat my bosses 911 turbo

thanks for your help ill be reading other forums in the mean time.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:41 AM
ChuckGZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest that when you've got a few hours to spare, you grab a cup of coffee, go to the F/I forum and get to reading. All the info you'll need to make these decisions is there. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:56 AM
05350z

yea i was there today and its like the threads just keep on coming lots of useful info thanks chuck.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:33 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like what was posted..do all the reading you can . Also , visit every shop in your area that has worked on these motors [ if you plan to build it ] and that has installed FI kits on the Z and G . The shop you choose is probably more vital than the kit you go with . When you choose a kit , find out from the guys on the forums the ins and outs of that kit . Find out what it will takes to make the kit produce the HP level you are looking for and if that kit is able to make the HP you are looking for . Another thing to think about , more than likely the kit will need to be tinkered with , small issue's that pop up with all FI kits . Are you going to have to drive seveal hundred miles to the shop ? Me personaly, I wouldnt want to have to drive the car half way across the country to have it worked on . So if you choose a kit that can only be tuned by a few shops in the country . Think about getting a engine management system that can be tuned in your area [ Utech, Emanage , SplitSecond ] . All the FI kits have thier good points and bad points and you probably will go back and forth trying to decide which one to get . And if you do your home work , you can avoid the mistakes the rest of us have made and save your self some head aches and money . Good luck...have fun
Old 01-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 05350z
i was considering the turbo kit but have heard that a supercharger would be more reliable for daily driving. i am considering on building the engine up that being done would it matter weather its turbo or supercharger. from the people that have either what kind of responses have you gotten. could i also get prett y high horsepower from a n/a engine. if so what kind of numbers.

i have a base 350z and selling to get track model because of the differences i rather do the engine work to a more solid start.

i am trying to beat my bosses 911 turbo

thanks for your help ill be reading other forums in the mean time.
A SC is not more reliable for daily driver.

If you plan on building the motor, I would definitely recommend a TT setup to make it worth your time and effort. In terms of trading your car in for a track model, it is not something I would recommend. Basically, you are trading in to get HIDs, a BBK and an LSD. You may just want to keep your base model, buy a set of stoptechs, an oem HID kit, and an aftermarket LSD that will be better suited towards your needs.

Getting high HP out of the VQ in any sort of cost effectiveness, relatively speaking, requires FI.

you wouldn't even need a motor build to spank that porsche. APS TT + exhaust and tune and you will have a strong 400-450 whp machine.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Zquicksilver

imo, you don't need to go from a base to a track... unless the difference for you out of pocket is 4k or less.

the only real differences are better brakes and VLSD.
You wouldn't believe some of the deals you can find on big break kits...
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164580
$1k for a real LSD, especially if your going with a built motor and big hp in the long run.

to beat your bosses 911 turbo consistently and safely from the light, it's going to cost you roughly 12k imo... and that's done right! which isn't really that bad when you thing about it.

At this point, I'm going with the Vortech tuner kit plus extras expecting around 400whp/325wtq. I believe it will suite my needs as my daily driver and give the stock GTOs, M3s, C6s a run for their money... But if I had the money to spend on internal upgrades, I would go TT and all out. As money wouldn't be a factor

Personally, I have to thank all the FI pioneers here for taking the time to contribute their thoughts, opinions, and tech. data. It's been great reading...

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 01-13-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:05 PM
sentry65
the burninator

if i were doing it all over again, I would have gotten a base instead of my track model. $8k can get a lot of stuff

the things the track model does have that the base doesn't though are:

rev up engine
VLSD
track rays wheels
brembo brakes
VDC
homelink autodimming mirror with garage door openers
HID lights
I think the track model has some slightly stiffer bracing under the car
aluminum pedals
front chin and rear spoiler, and rear diffusers

but yeah both SC and ST/TT will stress the engine. A ST/TT make more torque and make it all at once really quick in the span of 1k which is fun, harder to keep traction with, and generates more heat than a SC setup. You should define your power goals. A stock car and SC isn't a huge deal. Combine it with bolt on parts and it can start to liven up. A stock car with a ST/TT come out of the box with more power, but there's some trade offs

Last edited by sentry65; 01-13-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Zquicksilver

I give this about 10 more minutes before the SC vs ST/TT wolves come out and start scrapping! LOL! It will then become another one of those threads unfortunately...

I believe most FI systems make for some good fun! You just have to ask yourself how much fun do you want and at what price

I'm asking for a little fun and when I want the power, it will be there at WOT.

Zquicksilver
Old 01-13-2006, 04:06 PM
tuner4life

well my opinion on this is that a supercharger will induce more wheel spin on a car that has wheel spin issues to begin with.......I've always thought that turbo lag = traction control....but that's just my .02
Old 01-13-2006, 04:18 PM
sentry65
the burninator

nah that's not usually true because superchargers don't have much torque and therefore there isn't much wheelspin despite them having more boost below 3k

the turbo setups make so much boost so fast with equal amounts of huge torque that traction is an issue there
Old 01-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Zilvia

well your trying to beat a 911 TUrbo id say get the APS TT
Old 01-14-2006, 01:24 PM
booger

How much WHP does that Turbo 911 make that your wanting to beat ?
Old 01-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by booger
How much WHP does that Turbo 911 make that your wanting to beat ?

I saw a GT3 put down 340whp on a dynojet - not sure of the yr, but I thought that was impressive
Old 01-14-2006, 02:47 PM
captj3

I saw an 02 TT put down 380 3rd gear on a awd mustang dyno. God knows what it would have been in 4th or 5th.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:34 PM
booger

Originally Posted by captj3
I saw an 02 TT put down 380 3rd gear on a awd mustang dyno. God knows what it would have been in 4th or 5th.
It would be the same whp . With a Mustang dyno , it makes no diff what gear you are in . Im quoting the Operator of the Dyno . And he even proved it to me , as I dynoed my AT5 in 3rd and 4th and made the same whp
Old 01-14-2006, 03:38 PM
booger

If a turbo 911 makes 380whp , and its Wt. is a little less than a Z . It wouldnt take much more hp to beat it then . And just about any FI kit could beat them , or with a little upgrading be able to

Edit....380 on a Mustang dyno is quite a bit and would be in the low to mid 400 range on a Dynojet

Last edited by booger; 01-14-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:49 PM
JETPILOT

A 911 TT is putting out 415 flywheel horespower stock. Any of the turbo kits available off the shelf will put out that much or more power.

Respect
JET