Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Please help me decide, to boost or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 01:55 PM
LODOSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me decide, to boost or not

I know you guys probably have seen this question all the time.... but please give me your input as it will determine the life of my car and my joy =o.

Boost.. i have decided to get the TN kit.. due to the price and its reliabilty.. If i do go this route i will make no other performance/engine modification this way whatever/however TN setup the kit with the tune it will stay the same and not have to worry about boost spikes or running rich/lean.

cost will be 6-6.5k

I can also save some money (for now) and go the NA route... I was thinking about getting the strup header, 3.9 final gear and plenum installed.. this should give me a nice little boost.. but will this really satisify my need for low end tq? I had a vr4 3000GT before and the tq on that thing is a monster and just felt great with daily driving.. i don't have to really gun it to make it accel fast..

this cost about 3k total...

I don't have the money now so i am going to put it on a 0 % APR card and should be able to pay if off within a year. i take everything into consideration.. like future resale value, reliability etc. i am not a very aggresive driver, i just like the sensation of boost and tq coming on and if i have to gun it to show who the boss is..

but anyways.. help me decide =p. I went with NA route before with an old Honda and made that mistake.. and thats why i got a VR4... which was stock boosted.. but this Z... is not built for boost. so i am a little skeptic about it. I just don't want to go NA and regret it.. and i am afraid of going turbo and something goes wrong with it and regret that.. Please give me your input NA guys and Turbo guys.

oh yah question for all of you NA guys.. if you had the chance to start over again, would you go turbo or NA?
Old 01-21-2006, 02:59 PM
VegasZ35TH

Honestly that's a tough question to ask. I have never been in a turbo Z before but I have seen video and heard stories. Based on that, I would be extremely tempted to go turbo the second time around. Despite not having 400whp, my NA mods have made a huge difference and the performance is still great in my opinion. Also knowing that the engine should last longer without the pressure from turbo is comforting too. I just had the 3.9 gears installed which complimented the other NA mods nicely in my opinion. A lot of people are going to tell you to just do some research instead of asking for advice. Personally, if you really want HP badly then go with turbo otherwise stick with NA.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:17 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

I'll second that. If you want the raw power, go turbo, or even SC. With SC you'll get the best of both worlds. Not as much boost as turbos (normally) but still very good power gains and plenty of torque, and increased reliability over turbos. If you want lots of power, then turbo. But if you want to sleep at night, and you plan on driving the car a lot and for many years, mild NA tuning is the way to go. It's all about preference.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you dont have $$$ to fix the engine if it breaks, dont do any FI-there is always a chance even with a perfect tune. With that being said I had a quick NA Z, now Ive added exactly 130whp with the TN kit(see my other thread)...if I could do it again, I wouldnt waste $$ on bolt-ons and I would have done FI right off the bat after other mods like suspension, rims/tires...
Old 01-21-2006, 11:51 PM
LODOSS

Thanks for the advise guys.. espeically the part where if i don 't have the money to fix a blown motor.. which would be true.. so in that sense i am going the NA route for now.

The only thing i know i'll miss is that expression on peoples face when they ask you what have you done to your car.. and you'll tell them not much just one thing a turbo kit. and their faces lights up with fear =p.

I know when i my VR4 a lot of dumb ricers did'nt even know it was twin turbo.. one guy who also had a 3000gt not a vr4.. asked me how much boost i was pushing with the turbo and i said 18lbs.. he was like is that one or two turbos? .. weird question so i said one. and he said oh **** so that makes your car 36 lbs of boost... yah..moron .. =o

basically if you have a turbo .. your a god in the ricer world.. look at all those crappy old neons with turbo kits... they are cool cats!
Old 01-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once you go boost...(wordsmiths fill in the blank).
just don't go into debt for it. save up so you can pay cash. jmo.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:30 AM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't regret going big power at all on this car. i have driven the 3000 tt, and it had a ton of turbo lag compared to the lag on the currently available Z/G kits. i went for a spin when the 3000 tt first came out. it was a full 2-3 seconds before any boost was felt at all!!! don't mean to knock it at all, but, ever since switching to f/i on this car, i havn't looked back. the chassis of the Z/G is near perfect for a street car it just lacked the high hp it needed to be an awesome street car. if you decide to do some sort of f/i, you will get in the drivers seat and take it for a spin, and realize it is a TOTALLY different car. meaning, the way nissan should have designed it!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 02:12 AM
prescience

Originally Posted by overZealous1
ever since switching to f/i on this car, i havn't looked back. the chassis of the Z/G is near perfect for a street car it just lacked the high hp it needed to be an awesome street car. if you decide to do some sort of f/i, you will get in the drivers seat and take it for a spin, and realize it is a TOTALLY different car. meaning, the way nissan should have designed it!!!
That is SO true
Old 01-22-2006, 04:25 AM
Zilvia

do it.............just keep it safe......
Old 01-22-2006, 04:45 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Just make sure you have the funds to throw away in making your Z F/I. Remember F/I is a tricky game on a vehicle that was never meant to see the snails up close and personal. I always tell my customers use Murphy's Law when deciding to Go F/I, cause whatever can go wrong most likely will at some point. If you do it right, you should enjoy many boosted miles with the Z, the trick is getting it right the first time, like so many others didnt do at the expense of their motors, and benifiet of all of us in the F/I world's learning experience. Many Z owners jumped into F/I in the beginning and regretted it.Now there are such solid tunning options out there that it makes going F/I a bit more reliable.

WWW.RACEMRC.COM
For your 350z/G35 performance needs.
Authorized Turbo XS UTEC distributors
Authorized Dyno Dynamics load based tunning facility comming 3/06!!
Authorized Greddy Dealer/Installer
Authorized GTSPEC dealer
Authorized Unlimited Tuning Revolution dealer
Authorized Speed Force Racing Dealer

Email: Sales@racemrc.com
AIM: salesmrc
Phone: 732-251-8200
Mobile: 732-558-4560
MRC MOTORSPORTS
116 Main St.
Spotswood NJ 08884
Old 01-22-2006, 08:00 AM
LIdrew

Yeah, I keep going back and forth between doing NA mods or FI on my COMPLETELY stock 03 Touring. Right now I am just enjoying it in its stock form and looking for new wheels, Ypipe, plenum spacer, etc. I should have it paid off in a couple of years so I'm thinking just hold off and save some cash on the side should emergencies arise. The good think about the Z is it will still look awesome in 10 years as far as the design goes, so I can take my time.. Its not may daily driver so by the time I pay it off I'll probably only have 40-50 k miles on it. Would you guys feel safe boosting a higher mileage Z? Also, In a few years there will be more kits and prices will drop dramatically and kits will be more reliable dues to the added years of research and testing. The only problem is that in the meantime there will be alot of faster cars coming out.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:58 AM
LODOSS

Originally Posted by overZealous1
i don't regret going big power at all on this car. i have driven the 3000 tt, and it had a ton of turbo lag compared to the lag on the currently available Z/G kits. i went for a spin when the 3000 tt first came out. it was a full 2-3 seconds before any boost was felt at all!!! don't mean to knock it at all, but, ever since switching to f/i on this car, i havn't looked back. the chassis of the Z/G is near perfect for a street car it just lacked the high hp it needed to be an awesome street car. if you decide to do some sort of f/i, you will get in the drivers seat and take it for a spin, and realize it is a TOTALLY different car. meaning, the way nissan should have designed it!!!
you guys are going to kill my wallet hehe..

2-3 sec on the VR4?> weird.. peak tq and boost was like 2800 rpm on that car.. i had it with stock turbos and slightly bigger 13g turbos and the boost was instant. I know that the Boosted Z/G will no doubt be faster than a stock/slighty modded VR4. anywyas thanks for all your input..

I don't have any other small debt (credit cards) right now.. just my car and my student loan. i have a 0% APR CC card that i can use to buy the turbo till i pay it off.. I guess i'll need to think some more.. To boost or not to boost.. boost would means i would have to be a little conservative on the spending side..

I know I am going to keep the car for a long time.. so i can alwasy boost it later. so the question is .. when do i want to start really enjoying it and really loving the car =p

people that have done the 3.9 gear and headers.. how much more low end tq did you guys feel? (how much more did the car push you into the seats)
Old 01-22-2006, 10:10 AM
VegasZ35TH

Originally Posted by LODOSS
people that have done the 3.9 gear and headers.. how much more low end tq did you guys feel? (how much more did the car push you into the seats)
With the 3.9 gears, all that is doing is spooling up the engine quicker for you so you get quicker acceleration. You will see a noticeable difference with the gears, many NA drivers will even tell you that it's their favorite mod. It's my most recent install so I am still adjusting to the way the car handles now and learning to shift slightly sooner too. For the headers, you don't really get huge gains from it but personally that is one of my favorite mods I have done. The biggest thing about headers is the install. It takes time and labor to do it. It's sort of the same thing with the gears too. Both mods combined are nice to have. There are other good NA mods you can do as well that will give you some nice gains, some that will be cheaper too.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:34 PM
LODOSS

Thumbs up

So.. after careful consideration and being able to get my hands on a 0% APR credit card =p i have decided to go competely stock .. except a TN kit.. Which i know i will be much happier this route.

anyways I just have a quick question, I live in VA and there is no Smog here.. so question is will the no-cat version cause any issues with the yearly state inspection? by no means is this as strick as CA etc.

PumpedVA?? a little help?

I always thought that i'll at least need a cat look a like on the bottom of my car.. i 've been able to get around it with my last few cars but i don't want to have to worry about the state inspection.

Last quesiton. for those people that had their TN kits installed at AAM. did you all get your kits from them? for those that did not.. do they charge extra for flashing the ECU there instead of techno?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:57 PM
sschmuve

What is a tn kit?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:26 PM
trinig35

Originally Posted by sschmuve
What is a tn kit?
TN = Turbonetics (single turbo). I have one for sale...brand new 4350 shipped. PM me or email me: trini803@hotmail.com
Old 01-30-2006, 10:21 PM
LODOSS

bumped for tom for the people that are hard workers =p
Old 01-30-2006, 10:58 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by LODOSS
Last quesiton. for those people that had their TN kits installed at AAM. did you all get your kits from them? for those that did not.. do they charge extra for flashing the ECU there instead of techno?
You will need to overnight it to Turbonetics for them to complete the reflash. It actually gets reflashed at Turbonetics' facilities in Simi Valley, CA. They are very quick with the reflash process, it takes one day to get there and one day to return and that's it.

As far as the VA inspections are concerned, I'm not sure how difficult they are to pass. Do they have a sniffer and visual inspection? One option might be to install the catless version for inspection, and buy an extra cat downpipe to swap in for a sniffer test?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:05 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
I'll second that. If you want the raw power, go turbo, or even SC. With SC you'll get the best of both worlds. Not as much boost as turbos (normally) but still very good power gains and plenty of torque, and increased reliability over turbos. If you want lots of power, then turbo. But if you want to sleep at night, and you plan on driving the car a lot and for many years, mild NA tuning is the way to go. It's all about preference.
This post is about the exact opposite from the truth.

Superchargers are NOT more reliable than turbos. If anything, they are a bigger pain in the a$s. You spend most of your maintenance time swapping belts, setting proper tension on belts, and replacing frayed belts. With turbo(s) the only extra maintenance I can think of would be changing your oil more often...
Old 01-31-2006, 03:14 AM
MoodDude

No other mod will give you so much hp and Torque. I think you have already made up your mind, just spend the money. Some things to remember:

- Ensure you have the $ before (your question should be how much should I expect after it has been made safe to drive)
- Expect to not have you car for about a month (most likely it will be less than 2 weeks, yet if there is a problem they need to take their time troubleshooting and fixxing it. If you push a shop to rush - you will get sloppy work, and remember they are your friends and they are not trying to screw you! And no I don't work for a shop)
- The lower the boost - the more reliable the car
- Once you go FI you will be addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Please help me decide, to boost or not