Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Which EMS to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Poptarts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which EMS to buy?

Im trying to figure out which enigne management system to buy for my set-up.

I currently have the GReddy 18g TT kit with the FMIC. Ive noticed that the stock e-manage does not work as well as we had hoped for. I thought about upgrading to the e-manage ultimate, but that still is not a stand alone EMS.

My options for an EMS are V-Pro, U-Tec, and AEM EMS.

My shop for whatever reason doesnt like AEM EMS, and since U-Tec was just released i'm trying to stay away from that. I don't really know much about the V-Pro ems, but ive heard that this shop sometimes makes the wrong recommendations on parts for set-ups.

Can anyone give me a recommendation on what to buy for my situation?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the UTEC out of everything you mentioned. Oh, and dont hold your breath on that AEM EMS....
Old 01-25-2006, 09:45 AM
Poptarts

Originally Posted by Alberto
I like the UTEC out of everything you mentioned. Oh, and dont hold your breath on that AEM EMS....
Im not sure if you've ever heard of this shop, but I use SGP Racing here in Houston.

They said on the few tester UTECs they got from Turbo XS have been a waste of time. He was telling me that they havent been able to get a single car started when using UTEC.

I know AEM has its share of problems like everything else, but why do you say i shouldnt hold my breath?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:45 AM
Gman2004

If you have the money for the HKS V-pro then that's clearly the best choice. Just make sure you have an authorized tuner in your area. It is like $4200 installed and tuned with all harnesses and knock amp.

*edit* I see you're in TX. SGP is an authorized HKS dealer.

Last edited by Gman2004; 01-25-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:12 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by Poptarts
Im not sure if you've ever heard of this shop, but I use SGP Racing here in Houston.

They said on the few tester UTECs they got from Turbo XS have been a waste of time. He was telling me that they havent been able to get a single car started when using UTEC.

I know AEM has its share of problems like everything else, but why do you say i shouldnt hold my breath?

Not true, SGP recieved 2 UTEC from the prototype phase in which Mark at SGP was overwhelmed with shop work and didn't have time to reflash to the latest version of software. We have sense placed new production versions of UTEC's in to Marks hands. He will undoubtedly has no problems what so ever with the production units and he will offer these as a midprice solution between V-pro and whatever he uses as a lower solution.

Thanks,

Jermaine~
Old 01-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Poptarts

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
Not true, SGP recieved 2 UTEC from the prototype phase in which Mark at SGP was overwhelmed with shop work and didn't have time to reflash to the latest version of software. We have sense placed new production versions of UTEC's in to Marks hands. He will undoubtedly has no problems what so ever with the production units and he will offer these as a midprice solution between V-pro and whatever he uses as a lower solution.

Thanks,

Jermaine~
SGP is very busy, and often i would find myself talking to Shawn instead of Mark b/c of how busy Mark is.

So although V-Pro is only $1400 from HKS USA, the install with the proper harnesses puts the total cost up to $4200?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Gman2004

So although V-Pro is only $1400 from HKS USA, the install with the proper harnesses puts the total cost up to $4200?
The V-pro main unit is $1,400. Then you need to buy harnesses, and the knock amp. You can get away without the knock amp, but it is recommended. I know SGP recommends it. $4,200 is pretty close to the final price with all parts, install, and tune.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:49 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the V-Pro starts at around $1,400, then you need to add harnesses, sensors, this could run another $700 - $1,300 depending on if you want/don't have a knock amp and the Navigator display. Then tuning it for multiple maps might cost another $1,000 or so.

Check out their site hksusa for general pricing guidelines.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:24 PM
350z-900whp

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

go with motech or TEC3

there are the best EMS.

but you have to find some one have worked on them for lone time so, they wouldn't mess-up your engine
Old 01-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Poptarts

Originally Posted by 350z-900whp
go with motech or TEC3

there are the best EMS.

but you have to find some one have worked on them for lone time so, they wouldn't mess-up your engine
and what companies make those?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:00 PM
350z-900whp

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

there web's are

www.motec.com

www.electromotive-inc.com

hope you find what you need

Last edited by 350z-900whp; 01-25-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:09 PM
002-M-P

So far their is no way to go complete stand-alone on our cars. With all the EMS options out there the factory ecu is retained, even the HKS V-Pro and AEM EMS (If they ever actually get one made).
Old 01-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I can not see SGP making a comment like that to someone.Im sure you just mis-understood what they were saying..
Old 01-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Poptarts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
I can not see SGP making a comment like that to someone.Im sure you just mis-understood what they were saying..
you have to understand i was talking to shawn(sp?) and not mark. i fully trust what they say, but rencently i ahd a friend take his evo8 into them and instead of AEM EMS they adivsed to buy something else. now 3 weeks later that cheaper product is causing issues that could be solved had he just bought the AEM.

and the thing about the UTECs having problems was what was told to me by shawn. had i known mark was the one on charge of testing them and that he had been sick and very busy then i would understand why they hadn't been able to get a car started with one. the time and effort had simply not been put in yet.

so after all this ive come to the conclusion that F-CON VPRO is the way to go, but i should be ready to shell out almost $4500. thank you for your inputs
Old 01-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Fairlady_z33

Go with utec just find a good tuner and at first play around with it. 4200 is way to much. When your tuner feels like he learned the utec then go ahead and tune it how you wanted.

Last edited by Fairlady_z33; 01-26-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Gman2004

so after all this ive come to the conclusion that F-CON VPRO is the way to go, but i should be ready to shell out almost $4500. thank you for your inputs
The V-pro would cost about $2500 more than the UTEC, tuner reg or pro, and pressure harness (I am referring to the whole UTEC package). From what I have seen the UTEC seems to be a good unit, but if you can afford it and you have a tuner for the V-pro, which you do, then go for it.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:45 PM
LunchBox20

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

*Speaking from SGP*

The first units we recieved from Turbo XS were test units, and were the first set of ECUs in production.
The UTEC units are working and we have some here, and are currently still testing them on the newer models.

If you have any question feel free to contact us and we can have things taken care of.

Steve @ SGP Racing
www.SGPRacing.com
Old 01-26-2006, 03:44 PM
mistaboosta

just wait for the Hydra EMS. Hydra Ver. 2.5 will be available as a plug&play ecu for 350z soon. I used utec and AEM EMS on my ex car. They were both great systems but both have some problems. UTEC falls on its face when you stroke your engine or install some agressive cams (can't tune idle so well, can't change the map for the off boost load points etc.), AEM's problem is that it is a lil bit complicated and not user friendly but it is a very good solution. If cash isn't a problem go with the MOTEC M600 or M800, you will have to ask someone to make a harness for that. MOTEC will be around 5500-6000 $ when everything is complete and your car is tuned. As a conclusion, i'd reccomend going with HYDRA EMS as it is only 2500$, has great control over your engine, very user friendly and have good base maps.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:06 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

i have the Vpro, alot of z's with 600 got a vpro, its alot, but worth all the tuning and money$$$$...with that said, if it aint broke, dont try to fix it......
Old 01-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by mistaboosta
just wait for the Hydra EMS. Hydra Ver. 2.5 will be available as a plug&play ecu for 350z soon. I used utec and AEM EMS on my ex car. They were both great systems but both have some problems. UTEC falls on its face when you stroke your engine or install some agressive cams (can't tune idle so well, can't change the map for the off boost load points etc.),
That is not true, the utec allows for the scaling of the injectors and timing at idle, and in future software updates will give it the ability to raise idle..And FWIW the AEM is still being tested on the DREAMWORKS supercharger car.
We have had ZERO issues getting cars started and running on the UTEC..

Quick Reply: Which EMS to buy?