Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

UTEC questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:55 PM
2slo2bfurious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
The problem with that is that the 350Z's that are F/I have so many different set ups that the variables in the mapping differs so much.You could see on my datalogs that I am nearing 90% duty cycle on my 650cc injectors at 530 whp where as some members have achived much higher HP numbers using smaller injectors and more fuel pressure..So what works on one car might not be close on the next, and each F/I Z has to be custom tuned.
Of course we wouldn't just take somebody else's maps and just use them, but sometimes its a better starting point.

And maybe more info for those of us who are still learning. Like this simple tutorial...

UTEC Tuning for Wrx Tutorial

...the more info out there, the better!
Old 01-25-2006, 07:00 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Hey while we are at it: whats the difference between the VW and BOSCH sensors? Can we use either one? IS the Bosche better? I see the Tuner Pro with the VW sensor is a bit cheaper.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:02 PM
KTaylor

Originally Posted by 35ounces
speaking of map switch, you were gonna post pics of where they installed yours.

i put mine in the coin thing or im not sure what its meant for but the compartment near the hazzard light button. i put it at the bootom of that so i wouldnt accidently hit it.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Hey while we are at it: whats the difference between the VW and BOSCH sensors? Can we use either one? IS the Bosche better? I see the Tuner Pro with the VW sensor is a bit cheaper.
The Bosh is way more expensive when you need to replace it.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:27 PM
amolaver

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
It should, But I have Nav in my Nav cubby...Can I take exact measurements for you and you see if it fits?
i'm not sure about the tuner reg, but the pro is *WAY* too big to fit in the nav cubby...

ahm
Old 01-25-2006, 07:30 PM
rs350z

That is another thing that has concerned me. It looks big.....
Old 01-26-2006, 05:31 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by rs350z
That is another thing that has concerned me. It looks big.....
Just checked, it wont fit, unless you cut out the rear of the nav cubby.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:17 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

so it fits width-wise, just too deep?

So where did you guys mount them?
Attached Thumbnails UTEC questions-txstunerpro.jpg  
Old 01-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

so it fits width-wise, just too deep?

So where did you guys mount them?
I have mine mounted to the passenger side kick panel near the radio mounted with velcro..
Old 01-26-2006, 11:19 AM
BlackTuner

I have a question about the UTEC. The tuner that comes with it is that really needed. I was planning on skipping over this part. It is just used to tune right? I plan on using a diffrent device for my A/F. I guess that Im just making sure that if i dont get this to work with the UTEC specifically ( will I be missing out on any functions) I wont be kicking myslef later for it....

any input would be great!

Thanks

Roger
rs350z is offline Report Bad Post Reply With Quote
The Tuner is not necessary when having the car tuned by a professional. I would still purchase it to keep an eye on things. I mean honestly I view my afr more than any other gauge. When viewing datalogs it is almost best to have proper afr in the log it will give you alot of information. Like in julian's post it would be easy for me to recommend some changes to his map if I a proper AFR inside the datalog.

Unfortunately, the UTEC does not accept another AFR source other than the Tuner.

With future software updates the Tuner will allow you to have the proper feedback to put the car into a Auto-Tune setting. We are actually starting to work on the new pimp GUI as we speak.

speaking of map switch, you were gonna post pics of where they installed yours.

Any of you vendors heard from TurboXS about getting a map selector switch that fits in our cars (next to the VDC button)? They said it was coming...
The TXS map switch is a available, currently you you can remove the supplied switch blank and place it into one of your open blanks pretty easy to do with simple tools. We will try and source a nissan blank hopefully it won't drive the price of the switch up.

yes except it has a wideband sensor connected to it (and power etc) so its not like your going to be popping it in and out ...I presume anyway.

Will it fit in the Nav cubby?

-David (is considering adding the Tuner)
The normal Tuner will fit in the center cubby hole with some modification. It is alot smaller than the Tuner Pro ( 4.5x3.75x2.5 ).

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com
Old 01-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
The Tuner is not necessary when having the car tuned by a professional. I would still purchase it to keep an eye on things. I mean honestly I view my afr more than any other gauge. When viewing datalogs it is almost best to have proper afr in the log it will give you alot of information. Like in julian's post it would be easy for me to recommend some changes to his map if I a proper AFR inside the datalog.

Unfortunately, the UTEC does not accept another AFR source other than the Tuner.

With future software updates the Tuner will allow you to have the proper feedback to put the car into a Auto-Tune setting. We are actually starting to work on the new pimp GUI as we speak.

The TXS map switch is a available, currently you you can remove the supplied switch blank and place it into one of your open blanks pretty easy to do with simple tools. We will try and source a nissan blank hopefully it won't drive the price of the switch up.

The normal Tuner will fit in the center cubby hole with some modification. It is alot smaller than the Tuner Pro ( 4.5x3.75x2.5 ).

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com
Cant wait for the new PIMP interface and self tuning mode!!
ps my mom says hi!!
Old 02-01-2006, 02:30 PM
ken350z

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
I somebody can tell me what the WB A/F gauge outputs and the that UTEC expects as an input I'll design a circuit to make it work and post the schematic.

Ken
Old 02-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Ep3

Originally Posted by ken350z
I somebody can tell me what the WB A/F gauge outputs and the that UTEC expects as an input I'll design a circuit to make it work and post the schematic.

Ken
you will be loved & hated good luck
Old 02-01-2006, 03:30 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

That would be VERY cool.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:34 PM
TheCajunStyle

I have a question (not sure if the vendor(s) can answer this), here goes:

How does the manufacturer/vendors plans on rolling out updates to the UTEC system? Is it flash-based memory? For instance, *IF* they ever figure out how to increase the idle rpm for the '05/'06, how can current users of UTEC take advantage of this? I surely hope that they don't need to purchase an upgrade and/or an entirely new unit. Does the UTEC software interface allow for HW upgrades? UTEC seems very appealing to me; I think a lot of other people may be interested in learning about the future of this pricey investment.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by TheCajunStyle
I have a question (not sure if the vendor(s) can answer this), here goes:

How does the manufacturer/vendors plans on rolling out updates to the UTEC system? Is it flash-based memory? For instance, *IF* they ever figure out how to increase the idle rpm for the '05/'06, how can current users of UTEC take advantage of this? I surely hope that they don't need to purchase an upgrade and/or an entirely new unit. Does the UTEC software interface allow for HW upgrades? UTEC seems very appealing to me; I think a lot of other people may be interested in learning about the future of this pricey investment.
The way they usually do it , is by updating the software on their website in which you download and reflash into the unit.This always has been a to my knowledge will always be free. With the exception of adding accessories like the MAP selector switch or a BCS in the future to make the features work...But no you will not have to buy a new UTEC..
Old 02-01-2006, 06:18 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ken350z

Ken
people like you make these things even better. I like to use cheaper alternative that does the same job or even better and not forced to use what they sell.. I look forward to your findings.

for example: would there be any way to use a GM 3 bar map sensor or what other widebands would work with this.. (splicing wires or whatnot) or would it be possible to make your own map selector switch. Possible to have wires leading out of the unit into a button?

The greddy boost controllers have a boost setting switch which costs 90 bucks. I made my own switch from radio shack that costed me 5 bucks which does the same thing.

AND to the person that posted about posting tuned maps is a great idea! It would be a good basemap to start on. People should start posting their injector size and their specs along with their maps.

Last edited by accordfreak; 02-01-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:14 PM
ken350z

Innovative has all their manuals online. Very nice.

The Innovative LC-1 Has two voltage outputs. Best I can tell, one has a range of 1-2V while the other is 0-5V. AND, using a PC you can set the scaling.

So, if we plan on 0-5v input from the LC-1 all we need is what the UTEC needs as an input.

Didn't I see someone from Turbo XS here somewhere?

Ken
Old 02-03-2006, 03:21 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Ken try PM'ing Jermaine (BlackTuner). He is from TurboXS.
You gotta make it work with the AEM UEGO wideband!
Old 02-03-2006, 04:14 PM
marks350Z

Is there a way to control Idle with an 04 Z and the UTEC?
My Z has JWT cams, 750cc injectors, greddy TT, fuel return, and built bottom end. It is running...but idles like ****, and it is way RICH!!! 9.0 on AEM and Tuner pro wideband. I don't think the injector scaling works with the UTEC... is that correct?

Quick Reply: UTEC questions