Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo Rebuild DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 12:55 PM
tecni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo Rebuild DIY

So my Greddy TT's Blew and people keep telling me I gotta spend $$$$ to rebuild them (atleast 275 each) if I send them to turbochargers.com.

However I found the rebuild kit on ebay good for most mitsubishi turbos and mix that with some ***** and you have a turbo DIY. (I also had borrowed some advice from this site:

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Turbo-rebuild.html
Rebuilding a turbo is NOT a big deal people! We ofter listen to shops telling us everything is soooooo complicated and how only a machine shop or a true expert can do it. I'm tired of getting on this forum and not finding good DIY's.

Here's some pics of my preliminary rebuild. Basically all I did is un-seize the turbo blades and re-oil the whole setup with manual tranny lube.
There is a plate that sits under the exhaust fan that collects alot of crusty oil. Called Coking... You get alot of this when you shut your car off immediately after running it. I have yet to figure out why mine had this issue in the first place, considering I always let the greddy auto timer run its 1+ min cycle.

ANyways, this plate must be cleaned thoroughly as the website indicated. Don't be fooled by what it says. THey make it seem like its easy to remove this stuff but I let it soak in brakleen for over an hr and it was just as bad when I took it out. I recommend using 400 grit sand paper or a sanding bit on a dremel to remove this gunk.

Use a relatively dust-free environment and use lots of lube. Careful not to break any seals. Its hard to mess it up unless you drop a turbo blade or something.

Good luck to all willing to take on the challenge.

Oh yeah, here's a few pics of the disassembly and reassembly.

Last edited by tecni; 03-08-2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:09 PM
theking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really need to get them balanced as well.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Zilvia

yeah.........
Old 03-07-2006, 02:02 PM
tecni

yeah I was reading up on that... Duely noted!
Old 03-07-2006, 02:23 PM
MIAPLAYA

The major thing as mentioned before is having the turbo re-balanced. Without this you may be rebuilding them again sooner then you would want to.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting but stands to reason. I take it that the turbine or in the case of a Turbo ---Turbines have to be balanced on the shaft as an assembly then location in relation(turbine to Shaft) be marked so when it goes back together as it was balanced. Although I suppose they are keyed. ??????
Old 03-07-2006, 06:36 PM
tecni

well if you look at the blades, they are completely symmetrical but on the exhaust side, there's an asymmetrical screw that I believe throws the balance off a little bit and since a turbo spins at ridiculous rpms (like 80,000) it can wear uneavenly or explode into little fragments. Hence it needs to be balanced.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Eazzy

Thats a given. Even if it is put back exactly as it came apart,, the fact is micoscopic abrasives in the air knocked things out of balance before the tear down and as u say 80,000 - 100,000 plus RPMs leaves no margin for error. Im running Vortech but most my installs are TNs---I also do installs on diesel Pick-Ups and PowerStroke work. Im paying like 900.00 now for the PowerStroke Turbos
Old 03-08-2006, 06:47 AM
supra crazy

Hey what website are you refering yo when you say as the website indicated the only website you posted was one of diagrams of vaginas? also put a not worksafe stamp on this .

Originally Posted by tecni
So my Greddy TT's Blew and people keep telling me I gotta spend $$$$ to rebuild them (atleast 275 each) if I send them to turbochargers.com.

However I found the rebuild kit on ebay good for most mitsubishi turbos and mix that with some ***** and you have a turbo DIY. (I also had borrowed some advice from this site:

http://images.google.com.co/imgres?i...ial_s%26sa%3DG

Rebuilding a turbo is NOT a big deal people! We ofter listen to shops telling us everything is soooooo complicated and how only a machine shop or a true expert can do it.

ANyways, this plate must be cleaned thoroughly as the website indicated. Don't be fooled by what it says. THey make it seem like its easy to remove this stuff but I let it soak in brakleen for over an hr and it was just as bad when I took it out.

Oh yeah, here's a few pics of the disassembly and reassembly.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:58 AM
theking

LOL. Never went to that page. What were you looking at before you posted this thread????
Originally Posted by supra crazy
Hey what website are you refering yo when you say as the website indicated the only website you posted was one of diagrams of vaginas? also put a not worksafe stamp on this .
Old 03-08-2006, 07:04 AM
Eazzy

Holy S**t ---That is not the proper enviourment to be working on turbos. Although it was educational.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:12 AM
st350z

keep posting, want to know how it turns out
Old 03-08-2006, 09:50 AM
tecni

Sorry guys... My ex g/f had sent me that link and I guess I must have switched them around when I was copy/pasting LOL.

I just fixed it.

Its: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Turbo-rebuild.html

No its not the best environment to be working on a turbo but I didn't really care too much because they're coming apart again as soon as the seals come in and then I'm taking the project indoors and away from dust.

Turbochargers.com charges 50 bucks to balance them. Its hard to believe there's only 4 shops in the nation that can balance a turbo!?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:52 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by tecni
Sorry guys... My ex g/f had sent me that link and I guess I must have switched them around when I was copy/pasting LOL.

I just fixed it.

Its: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Turbo-rebuild.html

No its not the best environment to be working on a turbo but I didn't really care too much because they're coming apart again as soon as the seals come in and then I'm taking the project indoors and away from dust.

Turbochargers.com charges 50 bucks to balance them. Its hard to believe there's only 4 shops in the nation that can balance a turbo!?
Well you have to have a VSR to balance them and they aren't cheap. Turobnetics has three.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:58 PM
tecni

Redat of North America does turbo rebuilds at a very reasonable price. Check them out. They have a warehouse/shop here in Orlando.