Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My car is coming back tonight but MUST READ so this doesnt happen to others!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 04:52 PM
jmcmorante

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is coming back tonight but MUST READ so this doesnt happen to others!

As many of you may have read I had a Greddy Twin Turbo install done by a local shop here in Southern California in January. Install for a stock Greddy kit took them 4 weeks exactly witht he excuse that they had to redo the shops interior things and also that they had a car for the NBA all start game and other unnacceptable excuses afetr they promised the car in 15 days max with encountering any issues if any. They insisted car didnt need any tunnign and just to leave it out of the box.

Problems started the second I set foot there to pick up the car. They had "attempted" to tune the car with a laptop and no air/fuel indication equipment, the car was running extremely LEAN and was detonating like mad. Stalling was occuring consistently and safety was compromised to me and my passenger in many occasions since when car shuts off sterrign wheel freezes and it stalled when going around a curb.

I brought back and they said I needed to leave it with them for another 3-4 days and they will take a look but I couldnt drop it off for like another 3 days to start on it because they were busy. At this point I was mad enough and called Shariff as to what his opinion was. THANKS SHARIFF A MILLION. He recommended me this shop called GT MOTORSPORTS in Rancho Cucamonga and they found the following:

-Car was improperly tunned and with the improper equipment.
-Ignition Harness was missing
-Missing bolts
-They "tuned" it at 70% fuel and kept adding fuel and still was lean!
-This Among other things

On the way to GT I heard a bang on the engine bay and it ended up being to big screws that fell out of some of the brackets. It could of ruptured soem belts or something.

If you guys havent read enough read this:

During the 4 weeks period they had the car they started saying car will be ready tomorrow since day 13 and every day when I called they said "tomorrow" again for the next 16 days. I never received a call from them to let me know they were delayed or did the owner give me a call back to any of my MILLION messages I left for him. On one ocassion he said i actually call TOO MUCH. When the screws flew out as mentioned above I called and his rep put me on hold to tell him of the situation and he send his rep back to the phone to ask me to call back that he was busy. GRRRR............

The night I picked up my car he was like "im sorry for the delay but when Toyota (one of the companies that sends cars to him) tells me to stop my work and work on theirs I got to since they pay me more than $20K a month in work". My jaws dropped when he said that.

Well to get to the end GT has now resolved all my issues now and car is waiting to be picked up by me tonight. I cant wait guys. Sam at GT is an awesome fellow and would recommend him to anyone in a heartbeat. Im exited but scared after almost probably being close to causing serious damage to the car. On top of the $2K install price the first shop charged I had to pay GT another $3K to fix their so called install. Im upset but glad it wasnt worse.

Sorry for the long write up but stay away from this shop (the first one). I hate to mention their name but STREET IMAGE no more.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:55 PM
LvntheZ

damn! a$$ holes .....any refund at all?..........post some pics..any other mods?
Old 03-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Gman2004

Congrats on getting the car back. I went through a similar situation with a shop in Miami. Their shotty work ended up costing me my stock motor and then my built motor.

Last edited by Gman2004; 03-14-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 979 Likes on 742 Posts

holy crap! you should be able to get your money back! thats some bs right there.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:58 PM
MIAPLAYA

Wow that sucks dude. Glad to hear it all got worked out but they could have been WAY more costly if something serious had failed.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:03 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear that but glad you got it worked out! It amazes me that so called "professional mechanics" could do that to your car.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:11 PM
jmcmorante

Well in the good side its coming back with the following set up also noted are my existing mods before this:

-Greddy TT with FMIC
-Greddy MAP Sensor (I think thats what is called)
-Greddy E-manage Ultimate (Upgraded)
-APS Test Pipes
-Nismo Exhaust
-UR Crank Pulley
Old 03-14-2006, 05:31 PM
GXCLUSIV
Gymrats G35 TT

Sam at GT is great to deal with. GT Motorsports has done several FI installs on 350z's and G35's. Does StreetImage even have a dyno for tuning cars? First time Ive heard anything bad about that shop. I know they've installed several FI kits as well, and recommended by alot of So.Cal guys for FI install.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Wow...I speak to Sam daily, and he mentioned their were a few issues, but didnt realize how bad it was. I am glad Sam took care of you. He is one of the brightest guys in this business, IMHO, and I was happy to recommend him to you. You SoCal guys are really lucky to have GT Motorsports in your area.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:16 PM
dream724Z

It's important to write everything down in the work contract including the committed timeline to facilitate bad service credit. The TMC mechanics must give you a full refund!

Congrats on having GTM remedy it! I look forward to the resulting dyno.

Last edited by dream724Z; 03-14-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:20 PM
Ant830

I just picked up my G35 from GT last night. I'd be lying to you if I said he had it done in time like he promised. He deff. knows more about our engines than eric does at SI. He had to add the ignition harness as well to mine bc eric said it wasn't necessary. (my car was detonating even after SI richened it up some more) Anyways, I took it in for the a fuel return, boost controller, emanage ultimate , ignition, pressure sensor, and all that good stuff + tune at 7 and 9 psi. Final number was 406.9 rwhp @ 9. Everything seems to run fince except for my gas gauge not working properly now. The SES light came on but for some reason it likes to come on after someone resets the computer so hopefully it's not a big deal. I drove the car hard for a few runs today and it seemed fine. Anyways, that's my experience. I gotta call up Sam and tell him about the gas gauge and ses light.
Tell me how everything came out and what numbers you put down @ psi.

Oh and thanks Sharif for refering me...there's not a ton of shops around here that know how to tune worth ****.

Last edited by Ant830; 03-14-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:20 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Losts of scary stories surfacing lately about Street Image.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Ant830

Don't get me wrong, Eric is a real k00l guy but he took a week longer to finish my car than expected. I understand there's more money to be made working for Toyota like he does and doing stuff for DUB but he books too many people at one time. Mando (his mechanic) does GREAT work though. I'd still go there for minor things like I did for an oil change the other week.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Navygolf13

When I was getting my first car done I looked into SI and they never returned phone calls or got a quote to me and as far as GT is concerned they are WAY TOO expensive. I had my work done at Corner 3 in Lake Forrest and had the tuning done at Church's. It was kind of a pain, but I saved a ton of money by doing it that way as opposed to going to GT.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:48 PM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So what was the name of the crappy shop?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:49 PM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by jmcmorante
STREET IMAGE no more.
See above

Sorry to hear about it .... looks like Street Image is going down the crapper lately ... that, or just some unlucky customers here
Old 03-14-2006, 07:53 PM
kidkind

Thats why you put it on American Express. If they screw you dispute the charge and amex go's after them pretty hard.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:56 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by kidkind
Thats why you put it on American Express. If they screw you dispute the charge and amex go's after them pretty hard.
Yea, but you just gotta be able to pay off the balance at the end of the month!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Z BOY

si owes you for all the repair work done by gt, and they will pay. losing a small claims case goes on your trw.
btw, what are you gonna do when it comes time to smog?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:51 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, Id say you werent hard enough on them, and didnt do enough research. The minute some "shop" tells you a tune isnt needed (something you should have asked before going) I woulda never taken my car there. Or the minute they "tuned" you rcar with no A/F--WTF were they thinking, and you for leaving your car for so long with such crappy updates. Sounds to me like they took advantage of a nice guy. Good luck to you....

Quick Reply: My car is coming back tonight but MUST READ so this doesnt happen to others!