Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Tensioner From Timing CHain/TURBONETICS!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:22 PM
veilside350zTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tensioner From Timing CHain/TURBONETICS!!

Hey guys so we found out that the ticking from my car was actually the Tensioner from my timing chain. We took it to nissan and thats what they came up with..

1. Why would this happen? did my turbo have something to do with this?

2. Should Nissan cover it even if im turbo?

3. Could it be something my shop did wrong?

Please get back to me.. I have had my turbo kit for almost 2 weeks and havnt even been able to enjoy it yet..
Old 03-15-2006, 12:24 PM
MIAPLAYA

You must be kidding....sorry dude but theres NO DAMN WAY Turbonetics caused your timing chain to fail. A supercharger I could see but a TURBO?! They absolutely should cover it under the Magnusson Moss Act
Old 03-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not related to your TN kit, but try using the Magnusson Moss Act, lol good luck. I did with a dealer regarding a tranny/clutch swap when I was NA-and they were willing to fight me to the end, along with the district service manager who is a pole smoking douche bag. Just handle it on your own dime, you cant add a turbo kit and expect to be serviced like a stock car....
Old 03-15-2006, 01:10 PM
chimmike

considering the turbo doesn't run off the pulleys or timing chains at all, Sure, that makes perfect sense to me that something not even close to related to it broke it.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mias right ---Apples and Oranges---How many Miles? Fraid ur going to have to bite the bullit on this one less u got a cool Regonal Manager (Def. try) I sure would like to hear just what happened and see a pic
Old 03-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
You must be kidding....sorry dude but theres NO DAMN WAY Turbonetics caused your timing chain to fail. A supercharger I could see but a TURBO?! They absolutely should cover it under the Magnusson Moss Act
Sure it could have. Turbo charging a N/A car puts incredible strain on the motor and all moving parts inside the motor. Granted it may have been an underlying problem, but the addition of a power adder of any kind, be it Turbo,Supercharger,Nitrous, may have caused the problem to surface. Keep in mind with a power adder you are asking the engine to rev up to redline much faster and while making much more power.Things break.
At any rate the timing chain tensioner is no biggie to adjust, they provide an access panel on the front of the timing chain cover.(those little black panels) Now if it broke, it is a different story, the whole front cover needs to come off, which is a pain in the ****.
Im sorry to say, but Magnusson Moss will not come in to play here, the dealer will be able to undoubtedly prove the addition of a power adder caused the problem.
And FYI the MM warranty act is for when you replace a stock part with a non stock part, such as if you put Bendix brake pads in , as opposed to OEM ones, the dealer can not void you warranty on the rest of the braking system for using non OEM parts.The MM act is not geared for those that replace the calipers and rotors with stoptechs and expect the dealer to warranty the master cylinder if it goes bad. This is just for example..But the MM act sucks as much as the dealers do..
Old 03-15-2006, 07:37 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am lucky and have a pretty good nissan service shop. i have had my front wheel bearings go bad, just picked it up a couple hours ago from bad rear wheel bearings too. there was not even a question if i was trying to race on slicks or abusing the car (putting more strain on the rear bearings) even though everyone there knows the power output and work done.
i would definately check with nissan first to see if they will cover it. they prolly won't even let nna know about the mods to the car as they get paid to fix it under warranty from nissan. considering it is a very isolated incident, they more be more willing to accept a faulty part. there is not much that can go wrong with the tensioner though. it is self adjusting via oil pressure. it does have a lock in it though that may have failed and may be inducing some slop at lower oil pressures, like at idle.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:47 AM
cjb80

My timing chain tensioner failed too, actually. I have a 2005 Z, but the is from 2003 or 2004. The tensioner looks like it works is that it uses oil pressure to push the plunger out, and then there are teeth that hold it there. The teeth on the plunger of mine failed and then chain was pushing the plunger back. The oil was pushing it back out, and then the chain pushed it back in (rinse and repeat) causing an annoying noise around 2500 rpm.

You can replace the tensioner with out removing the timing chain cover, but it's a pain in the ***....

Lastly, I have JWT cams, and ferrara valve springs and retainers, I am not sure if the additional spring pressure would contribute to causing the problem. The problem hasn't come up since I replace the tensioner with a 2005 tensioner (doubt there is a difference).

Chris
Old 03-16-2006, 05:13 AM
nissansource

Damn here is another Turbonetics blame thread. cant people understand that they are adding power and playing the FI game???? its not a companies fault your sled is acting up. Take responsibility stop whineing
Old 03-16-2006, 05:14 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Sure it could have. Turbo charging a N/A car puts incredible strain on the motor and all moving parts inside the motor. Granted it may have been an underlying problem, but the addition of a power adder of any kind, be it Turbo,Supercharger,Nitrous, may have caused the problem to surface. Keep in mind with a power adder you are asking the engine to rev up to redline much faster and while making much more power.Things break.
At any rate the timing chain tensioner is no biggie to adjust, they provide an access panel on the front of the timing chain cover.(those little black panels) Now if it broke, it is a different story, the whole front cover needs to come off, which is a pain in the ****.
Im sorry to say, but Magnusson Moss will not come in to play here, the dealer will be able to undoubtedly prove the addition of a power adder caused the problem.
And FYI the MM warranty act is for when you replace a stock part with a non stock part, such as if you put Bendix brake pads in , as opposed to OEM ones, the dealer can not void you warranty on the rest of the braking system for using non OEM parts.The MM act is not geared for those that replace the calipers and rotors with stoptechs and expect the dealer to warranty the master cylinder if it goes bad. This is just for example..But the MM act sucks as much as the dealers do..
Yeah but you can't blame that on specifically the Turbonetics kit. It is a factory defect or maintenance issue if you do something 1000 people have already done without problems. If the added power is at fault, this would have happened just the same with Stillen, APS, Greddy, JWT, or HKS as well... it is ludicrous that you'd blame it on TURBONETICS in all caps on your post subject.

Sad but true, it seems this kit attracts a lot of newb buyers that don't know better but to blame anything and everything that goes wrong on the turbo or reflash...
Old 03-16-2006, 05:25 AM
nissansource

Damnit TURBONETICS made my blinkerfluid low
Old 03-16-2006, 05:47 AM
jcarp

nissan doesnt want to fix timing chain problems bc they keep saying that they have never seen that but more keep coming up and they keep turning them away. nissan told me that there is no record of timing chains breaking or keys breaking so it must be something i did. gotta love good ole nissan.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:21 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by taurran
Yeah but you can't blame that on specifically the Turbonetics kit. It is a factory defect or maintenance issue if you do something 1000 people have already done without problems. If the added power is at fault, this would have happened just the same with Stillen, APS, Greddy, JWT, or HKS as well... it is ludicrous that you'd blame it on TURBONETICS in all caps on your post subject.

Sad but true, it seems this kit attracts a lot of newb buyers that don't know better but to blame anything and everything that goes wrong on the turbo or reflash...
+1000
Old 03-16-2006, 06:51 AM
nissansource

newbs b/c its soo easy to install everything comes with it its insane my little sister coulda installed my kit... infact ill have her install my next one next week
Old 03-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by taurran

I never said that turbonetics caused anything, please re read my post..I used the term "power adders" Like Turbos,Nitrous and Superchargers. I never blamed turbonetice, but I am sure the addition of a power adder exasperated an underlying problem...
Old 03-16-2006, 11:11 AM
veilside350zTT

I never said that turbonetics did it either.. All i wanna know is can i get my **** fixed for free by nissan??
Old 03-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by veilside350zTT
I never said that turbonetics did it either.. All i wanna know is can i get my **** fixed for free by nissan??
From my experiences with Nissan...Most likely not..they didnt want to warranty my tranny back in the days when all I had was a cat back and CAI..They will do whatever they can to get out of warranty work..
Old 03-16-2006, 01:47 PM
veilside350zTT

How come they dont like doing warranty work... Dont they still make the same amount of money or what?
Old 03-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by veilside350zTT
How come they dont like doing warranty work... Dont they still make the same amount of money or what?
Because when Nissan Dealers do Warranty work, they are only allowed to bill alloted book time what Nissan says.For example, Nissan dealers are only alloted 3 hrs on a tranny swap on a warranty issue. But if you bring a non warranty issue tranny swap they will most likely bill you 6 hours, or their hourly rate doubles from what their warranty work allows.Basically, NON warranty work is more profitable for the dealers, so they hate doing warranty work. Some dealers by us, will not even do warranty work on Saturdays, when 90% of people are off from work and can bring their cars in..
Nissan service is by far the worst I have ever experienced on my personal end, i would never buy another nissan after owning the Z.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:02 PM
veilside350zTT

Well im gonna try my dealership and let you know.. I had nitrous on my Z and they still replaced my Tranny no questions. So im hoping they will be nice and fix my tensioner from my chain

Quick Reply: Tensioner From Timing CHain/TURBONETICS!!