Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

please help, turbonetics turbo and strut bar.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 05:58 AM
bverschage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help, turbonetics turbo and strut bar.

I have Turbonetics Turbo and was told that the CrawfordZ strut bar would fit but it does not. The bar hits the intake pipe, and when I used spacers to clear the intake pipe, now the hood will not close. What strut bars are people running with the turbo setup? I also have a skunk 2 plenum spacer, so the stock or one in the stock location will not work.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:29 AM
blackend

iam using AAM spacer with stock strut bar without any prob
Old 03-30-2006, 06:43 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by bverschage
I have Turbonetics Turbo and was told that the CrawfordZ strut bar would fit but it does not. The bar hits the intake pipe, and when I used spacers to clear the intake pipe, now the hood will not close. What strut bars are people running with the turbo setup? I also have a skunk 2 plenum spacer, so the stock or one in the stock location will not work.
The skunk2 spacer won't fit with any normal over-the-plenum strut bar, because it is a 1/2 inch spacer. The Turbonetics intake piping wont fit with any of the forward sitting strut bars (APS, Stillen, Crawford). Your only option would be to get a new plenum spacer or to custom fab a strut bar.

By the way, I'm using the Turbonetics kit, Motordyne 5/16" isothermal spacer, Veilside v2 fg hood, and a JIC cf strut bar. It is a tight fit, but the JIC strut barely touches the corner of the MAF flange on the piping, but doesn't cause noise or anything. The strut bar also barely comes in contact with the hood, but I put weather stripping to keep it from damaging the bar too bad. It is a tight fit, but it works...
Old 03-30-2006, 07:10 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by taurran
The skunk2 spacer won't fit with any normal over-the-plenum strut bar, because it is a 1/2 inch spacer. The Turbonetics intake piping wont fit with any of the forward sitting strut bars (APS, Stillen, Crawford). Your only option would be to get a new plenum spacer or to custom fab a strut bar.

By the way, I'm using the Turbonetics kit, Motordyne 5/16" isothermal spacer, Veilside v2 fg hood, and a JIC cf strut bar. It is a tight fit, but the JIC strut barely touches the corner of the MAF flange on the piping, but doesn't cause noise or anything. The strut bar also barely comes in contact with the hood, but I put weather stripping to keep it from damaging the bar too bad. It is a tight fit, but it works...
I'm running the MD 5/16" spacer and stock strut bar. No issues.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Crawford wont work with the TN kit-trust me I know. But Im not worried about it, cuz the Crawford STB is an ugly POS that I should have never bought anyway...
Old 03-30-2006, 12:45 PM
bverschage

thanks for the info guys, looks like a my need to fab a custom bar.

Does any one have photos of the tubonetics with strut bar setups?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:50 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Crawford wont work with the TN kit-trust me I know. But Im not worried about it, cuz the Crawford STB is an ugly POS that I should have never bought anyway...

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=3/6223470490.jpg&s=x10
You sure about that ALBERTO... lol Got you on this one, mines looks beautiful and fits perfect....
Old 03-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Z PHAT Z

Originally Posted by D350Z10
You sure about that ALBERTO... lol Got you on this one, mines looks beautiful and fits perfect....
I was about to post up a for sell thread for my Crawford strut bar after reading this post. But now with your picture, I might give it a try. How close/tight is it to the pipe?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:34 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by D350Z10
You got me too. I've been told by everyone that it won't fit, and it certainly looks like it won't from all the pics I've seen. Do you have any up close pics of yours?
Old 03-31-2006, 02:33 AM
D350Z10

Yea I will take closer pics, I just put a rubber stopper between the pipe and bar. Give me a couple of days to get some pics cars at the shop.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:17 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont want my STB making any contact with the intake pipe-even with a rubber stopper in between, I dont want anything flexing under acceleration, over time could lossen things up, get nasty...and like I said, I hate the Crawford STB.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:11 AM
vitaminZ

I have had my Cusco strut bar modified. It is bearly keeping the hood from closing. I am either going to modify the hood a bit or have the bar tweaked, more likely the bar though. Also, the bar bearly touches the SSV. I am confident my buddy will be able to tweak it to fit with no issues. My buddy can weld his a$$ off as you can see from the pics below. The Cusco strut bar will work, it is a matter of finding someone who can do the welding. Once complete, i could post the angles and measurements that work if anyone is interested .

Old 05-01-2006, 05:09 PM
D350Z10

Heres a closer pic of the crawford sb on my setup.
Attached Thumbnails please help, turbonetics turbo and strut bar.-crawford-strutbar.jpg  
Old 05-02-2006, 01:01 PM
vitaminZ

The Cusco modified slightly will work. I just got mine back from my buddy. He did a hell of a job! props to him!! My strut bar fits as good as it is going to get. I can now have it installed and close my hood. It does barely touch on both sides but nothing to worry about. I wll make an adjustment on the hood to fix the touching Only the slightest adjustment is needed.

Power nap time. i will post pics later.

btw, We discovered that only the driver's side of the strut bar needs to be modified. With a good welder, the Cusco can be an option for those of us that want a STB with our TN kits.