Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Mike@AAM or Phunk: I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 07:01 PM
sja177
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mike@AAM or Phunk: I need your help

I finally finished up the car, made yet another appointment to get tuned, take the car out for a spin and everything running great, no leaks, no fumes, afr is normal, etc..

I go to Chevron to fill her up..I kept the passenger side fuel lid open, (not the tank) to make sure that the Oring was properly sealing everything..

So im watching it as the tank fills, and everything looks good. The tank was full and no leaks..

I put the pump back up, close the fuel cap, and begin to walk to the drivers side when I see a HUGE river of fuel leaking down from underneath my car.
I run inside, tell the guys theres a big fuel leak, and they get their "supplies" and start cleaning it, the manager informs me that hes going to call 911. About 5 mins later a fire truck shows up, etc...

I get a flat bed and have the car towed after about 30 mins or so of dripping.

So....

WTF...
I checked the passenger side fuel line, fuel tank, the return line, all dry. Theres no fuel anywhere on that side.
There was atleast a gallon or two that spilled out.
There was no leaks when I drove to the station with about 1/4 tank.
I have never touched the drivers side tank.
Is there something that I missed? The car runs great, and theres no visible leaks from the cabin.

Im sure Ill get a diagnosis tomorrow, Its at Nissan right now, im an inch away from selling everything
Old 04-18-2006, 07:09 PM
rs350z

you have an 03 maybe it could be a fuel hose in the recalls. I tiny crack that maybe you just cant see???
Old 04-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Gman2004

no biggy. your fuel pump gaskit got messed up during the install. untill you get a new one don't fill the car up all the way. I had the same problem, but mine was so bad it smelled like a fuel refinery inside my car.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:32 PM
vitaminZ

I had a leak at first as well. it was my own fault and i knew it as soon as i saw the puddle. mine didn't leak as bad as yours did though. your problem might be the same one i had. where you drilled the hole for the 90 degrees fitting on top of the fuel pump assembly, if you didn't dremel it down on the botton side so that the nylon washer is flush then that WILL be your problem. after drilling there are some little ridges that need to be dremeled down. the seal won't be tight without grinding them down smooth. that is where the fuel escapes.

initially i was fine just as you were, it was only after i filled up that i noticed the fuel leak.

here are pics

leak around the blue fitting
Old 04-18-2006, 08:55 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

i did the same thing a long time ago...the o ring was not sealing between the fuel assembly top and the lid... the o-ring very easily swells when it is submerged in gasoline, then it no longer fits in the groove, the seal is lost and when you fill up, firetrucks get called
Old 04-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Z PHAT Z

Same thing here. It's just the O-ring exposed to fuel and expanded. Mine poured out like crazy
Old 04-18-2006, 09:37 PM
sja177
Banned

That would be my guess too....but there is no fuel coming out of where the o-ring is, the fuel is leaking from somewhere on the drivers side. I had the passenger side open when I was filling up to make sure the o-ring did not leak, which it didnt. Could my o-ring be bad on the drivers side? It was leaking A LOT of gas, like 2-3 gallons, pretty much flowing, not dripping

The tech at Nissan said maybe it was a fuel filter? Who knows,
Ill let you guys know what Nissan says tomorrow
Old 04-19-2006, 02:08 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
i did the same thing a long time ago...the o ring was not sealing between the fuel assembly top and the lid...
your right. I called it a gasket, but it is the o ring. I had mine fixed twice, because a few weeks after it was fixed the first time it started leaking again.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:38 AM
aalzuhair

Originally Posted by sja177
That would be my guess too....but there is no fuel coming out of where the o-ring is, the fuel is leaking from somewhere on the drivers side. I had the passenger side open when I was filling up to make sure the o-ring did not leak, which it didnt. Could my o-ring be bad on the drivers side? It was leaking A LOT of gas, like 2-3 gallons, pretty much flowing, not dripping

The tech at Nissan said maybe it was a fuel filter? Who knows,
Ill let you guys know what Nissan says tomorrow
Could be a cracked fuel filler tube (13) or somthing is wrong with the EVAP hose (10)...
Attached Thumbnails Mike@AAM or Phunk: I need your help-fuel-tank.jpg  
Old 04-19-2006, 05:43 AM
002-M-P

The o-ring on the drivers side "could" be bad, but this is highly doubtful unless you took that side off too for some reason. And if it is pouring as much gas as you say it is, then it probably isn't where the 90 degree fitting is for the return. If its not the o-ring on the passenger side or the 03 filler tube recall, your guess is as good as mine.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:42 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's got to be the o-ring for the pump housing, or a leaky 90 degree return line. Back when I installed the fuel system part of my APS kit, I didn't do a fantastic job of dremeling down the inside of the pump housing where the washer goes after I drilled the return hole. Car drove great until I went and filled it up all the way with gas. Once the gas starts to warm up (since it's now in your tank instead of underground) it expands and goes everwhere. After that I just didn't full my car all the way up for a couple days and evenually did a better job of sealing the return and now it doesn't leak at all.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Jason333
hi

I hope you get this going. I had soo many headaches trying to get my tank to not leak fuel after my install i can certainly feel for you on this one.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree with Bri. If the only thing you did, was install the turbo kit, and fuel system, its unlikely that your driver side tank suddenly developed a leak.

When the gas starts cascading down the tank, it can appear to be leaking all over the place, so it wouldnt surprise me if it looked like it was leaking from the passenger side.

It's gotta be the gasket, or the 90 fitting.

Unless...did someone try and install ANYTHING on the driver side of your tank? Maybe they penetrated the tank?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:18 PM
sja177
Banned

It was the o ring, luckily I had the O ring that AAM gave me, so I tried using that and now Im leak free, thank god
Old 04-19-2006, 09:19 PM
sja177
Banned

Thx for the responses guys