Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

on 2 guys garage they put a rear mount turbo on a vette, work on a z?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006 | 11:53 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

they claim to have full boost by 3000. i know domestics down here in florida with them and they love them. they dont have lag problems like you think they would. they say that they use different kind of turbos that wouldnt work up front in standard location.

im not a turbo expert and i said this was my opinion and i copied all that info off of their site....
Old 04-26-2006 | 11:54 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by ChromeZilver
This has been the debate with STS every since they came out. And you scholars can debate the details all you want, all ll I know is that it works and works well. The fact that they are still in business and blowing peoples minds and conceptions with the "remote mount" system is more then enough for me. That and my friends turbo'd Camaro SS and Z06 that I have driven and experienced. The power is so sweet it's almost disgusting! They are doing a kit for the 350Z, it's on their website, and it will be out this summer I'm told.
Edit its just not worth arguing with some people...STS has said they would have a Z kit for two years now. Nothing has been produced. When they have something that can change everyones mind then we'll see whats there. I doubt its going to happen and if it does won't be the gains people see with current systems. Just cause a Diesel can push 40 PSI of boost stock doesn't mean we can. Different application pose different challenges and they can't be mitigated in the same way.

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 04-26-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2006 | 11:55 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

someone dynoed it on the corvette forum, the thing makes pretty good power. Couldn't tell about any lag or not because they started the dyno at like 3000 rpms anyway
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:02 PM
scottycoyote

well when i saw that show and posted this on here i was just thinking how much cheaper this kit must be due to the less install time. Ive been reading all the posts and didnt realise all the problems possible with this setup. Sooooooooooo.........i just went to the sts site, got the phone # and called them, ended up talking to a guy about the upcoming 350z kit (its listed on the sts website). He said its in the works as we speak.......its to be a single turbo kit, with intercooler and some type of emanage/reflash, etc. He said it should make horsepower comparable to the other kits, theyre looking at a base psi of 5 and maybe going to 8 or 9, theyre looking at a probable price range of around 5 to 6. He said the install will be much easier than the other systems like the vette.........and he said the lag is about .05 of a second to charge the pipe, so theres not going to be much lag to speak of. He also said theyre looking at ways to tuck it into the fenderwell for a clean install thats out of the way. I guess the thing that drew me to the possibility of this kit is how much cheaper it should be, i mean you read the testimonials on the website and people are installing themselves using a set of jackstands and it bolts on. Im no car expert what so ever.......but this is something im defiitely going to be watching for.
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:06 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
well when i saw that show and posted this on here i was just thinking how much cheaper this kit must be due to the less install time. Ive been reading all the posts and didnt realise all the problems possible with this setup. Sooooooooooo.........i just went to the sts site, got the phone # and called them, ended up talking to a guy about the upcoming 350z kit (its listed on the sts website). He said its in the works as we speak.......its to be a single turbo kit, with intercooler and some type of emanage/reflash, etc. He said it should make horsepower comparable to the other kits, theyre looking at a base psi of 5 and maybe going to 8 or 9, theyre looking at a probable price range of around 5 to 6. He said the install will be much easier than the other systems like the vette.........and he said the lag is about .05 of a second to charge the pipe, so theres not going to be much lag to speak of. He also said theyre looking at ways to tuck it into the fenderwell for a clean install thats out of the way. I guess the thing that drew me to the possibility of this kit is how much cheaper it should be, i mean you read the testimonials on the website and people are installing themselves using a set of jackstands and it bolts on. Im no car expert what so ever.......but this is something im defiitely going to be watching for.
5PSI of boost on what turbo? Anything smaller then the 60-1 from the Turbonetics kit and they are going to make Stillen numbers which is pointless. Furthermore at $5,000 for the kit I don't see him selling much. The Turbonetics kit is $5k on the dot almost. The Greddy is right there, APS ST, Vortech, ATI, the list goes on. All proven performers that will make more power then 5 PSI from a turbo siting far enough back to be in the car behind you
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:15 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

this might make for some interesting dual FI setups - like a supercharger with a turbo if you could get a huge intercooler and piping setup going.

I guess the turbo piping would go by where the exhaust is?
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:17 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by sentry65
this might make for some interesting dual FI setups - like a supercharger with a turbo if you could get a huge intercooler and piping setup going.

I guess the turbo piping would go by where the exhaust is?
Yeah interesting since running 5 PSI of boost through a Supercharger is going to compound the boost. Can you say boom..
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:29 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

well i didn't think anyone who'd try it would try it on a stock block
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:31 PM
chimmike

whoever said before that heat doesn't affect the spool of a turbo is damn wrong. Thermal expansion has just as much a role in spool as the velocity of the flow of gases.
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:36 PM
Kolia

audiblemayhem, I didn’t mean to insult you. I’m sorry if I did. I had the feeling you were quoting the manufacturer.

With proper engineering, pretty much any system can be made to work.

I can’t access the web site from here. How much boost is that thing making anyway on the Vette? Getting full boost at 3000 rpm on a + 5 liter engine might be impressive if it was more than 14 psi. It’s nothing to brag about if it only 5-6 psi.

The Subaru guys are at full boost well below 3000rpm from a dead start. Some of my friends are there before 2000.

I’m not in the market for a FI. If I was that thing would be dead last. I wish we could have a good S/C as it’s more flexible than a turbo. But bang for the buck, the turbo is still unbeatable…
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:41 PM
chimmike

how is s/c more flexible than turbo?

Choosing the right size turbo for your goals will easily make an engine more useable and more powerful than a comparable s/c setup. Better efficiency in all aspects.
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:42 PM
VenomZ

this show is on Speed Channel right now
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:46 PM
Zilvia

so what exactly is the debate going on here:

will a set up like this actually work on the z?

or

How much lag would it have?...tho i dont really se a prob with having a lil lag

but it would be nicer if they made it a Twin Turbo set up.......
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:48 PM
ChromeZilver

Are you serious? SC more flexible then a turbo? So you like changing pulleys to up the boost? I'd rather just, I don't know, flip a switch to up the boost. Plus all that damn noise those things make!
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:49 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

Originally Posted by chimmike

let's not get into that SC vs turbo debate...they have their respective good and bad points and people coming from differnt situations who do different types of driving have different criteria

Last edited by sentry65; 04-26-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:49 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by chimmike

Choosing the right size turbo for your goals will easily make an engine more useable and more powerful than a comparable s/c setup. Better efficiency in all aspects.
On paper it is.

No lag, torque is available at all rpm.
It run cooler (Much cooler in the case of a Lysholm unit)
Less hardware
The whole torque curve is moved up (no need for different gearing)
No chance of over boost

The big disadvantage of the S/C vs the Turbo is the market. Used turbos can be had for peanuts, it cool to have one so many people wants them so plenty of manufacturer makes them, tuners abound.

Let’s say that the turbo has won the development race. Making it more accessible.

I still wish for a S/C :-)
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:52 PM
Kolia

let's not get into that SC vs turbo debate...they have their respective good and bad points and people coming from differnt situations who do different types of driving have different criteria
Nicely put
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:55 PM
chimmike

on paper there's no lag, but in the real world, centrifugal s/cs (the only ones worth getting IMO) have essentially what is lag. Runs cooler? It may run cooler but the air charge is hotter than that of a turbo due to the nature of the units, a turbo's compressed charge is cooler than that of a s/c due to the efficiency of compression.
Like I said before, turbo choice is everything. If you smartly put together a setup, it will out-do an equivalent s/c in all aspects. It's as simple as that.

there's plenty of proof out there to back me up...I'm sure you know this too
Old 04-26-2006 | 01:00 PM
ChromeZilver

True, we can argue this til the death. There are turbo guys and there are SC guys.
Old 04-26-2006 | 01:04 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

ill stick with nitrous for now...

no offense taken kolia, i wasnt even sure what you were talking about actually. i dont know enough about the physics part of turbos to argue with anyone. i was just stating what they said and had my own opinion at the beginning of the thread...

Quick Reply: on 2 guys garage they put a rear mount turbo on a vette, work on a z?