Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

on 2 guys garage they put a rear mount turbo on a vette, work on a z?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006 | 01:06 PM
ChromeZilver

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
ill stick with nitrous for now...

no offense taken kolia, i wasnt even sure what you were talking about actually. i dont know enough about the physics part of turbos to argue with anyone. i was just stating what they said and had my own opinion at the beginning of the thread...

And there are NOS guys.
Old 04-26-2006 | 01:08 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

there's plenty of proof out there to back either side up

people don't buy SC's to make the highest power or tq they can or for the better efficency. There's a magnatude of reasons and it's a tough call in some cases.

IMO a turbo works VERY well on the Z, but I ended up not going for a turbo because of my own set of reasons/criteria
Old 04-26-2006 | 01:10 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by chimmike
on paper there's no lag, but in the real world, centrifugal s/cs (the only ones worth getting IMO) have essentially what is lag. Runs cooler? It may run cooler but the air charge is hotter than that of a turbo due to the nature of the units, a turbo's compressed charge is cooler than that of a s/c due to the efficiency of compression.
Like I said before, turbo choice is everything. If you smartly put together a setup, it will out-do an equivalent s/c in all aspects. It's as simple as that.

there's plenty of proof out there to back me up...I'm sure you know this too
A centrifugal compressor is a turbo with no turbine budy!

Have a look at the Lysholm compressor maps. You might be surprised at the efficiencies of these things. Unfortunatelly, they are supah expensive.

Roots and Eaton units are outdated, but at least they give boost all the time.

Centrifugals are useless for the reasons you've noted. I barely consider them S/C, since they have the disadventages of both Turbo AND S/C !

We could discuss that in an other topic if you want. Just for the fun of it

Now back on topic of the No good remonte turbo!
Old 04-26-2006 | 01:17 PM
ChromeZilver

Originally Posted by Kolia
A centrifugal compressor is a turbo with no turbine budy!

Have a look at the Lysholm compressor maps. You might be surprised at the efficiencies of these things. Unfortunatelly, they are supah expensive.

Roots and Eaton units are outdated, but at least they give boost all the time.

Centrifugals are useless for the reasons you've noted. I barely consider them S/C, since they have the disadventages of both Turbo AND S/C !

We could discuss that in an other topic if you want. Just for the fun of it

Now back on topic of the No good remonte turbo!

Ouch, I'm not going to decide if it's "no good" or not until I see some numbers. And whats a remonte turbo? JK.
Old 04-26-2006 | 01:25 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by ChromeZilver
Ouch, I'm not going to decide if it's "no good" or not until I see some numbers. And whats a remonte turbo? JK.
I blame that on my outrageous French accent
Old 04-26-2006 | 01:30 PM
ChromeZilver

Nice!
Old 04-26-2006 | 01:32 PM
MadBoost

Didn't "Phunk" test the STS system and find a 50% drop in pressure from compressor cover to intake manifold. So all these F-bodies and Corvettes essentially have to run 20psi on the turbo to get 10psi at the intake. LOL! That's efficient. The 350z market has WAY too much real competition for STS in the turbo market with TN, Greddy, APS, PE, etc... and now they have competition in the Vette market with APS entering in May. It works in the F-body market because there is nothing else. The other fabricated f-body systems require a/c removal, etc... which opened the door for STS. We had an STS rear mount Trans Am on the dyno yesterday at 5psi and picked up 60rwhp. My old Incon TT camaro SS at 5psi picked up 145rwhp.
Old 04-26-2006 | 01:54 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

I'm a N/A kind of guy, but when I heard about this remote rear mounted turbo set-up last year, I was like WTF? Looked like it would add WAY too much lag, a no-no for tracking. But last weekend, I saw a HUGE single rear mounted turbo on a Viper. Was told lag wasn't an issue as the Viper can spin the tires in the 1st 3 gears stock!

Who will be the 1st with a triple turbo set-up! And why not feed it through a S/C?
Old 04-26-2006 | 02:12 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

Originally Posted by EnthuZ
Who will be the 1st with a triple turbo set-up! And why not feed it through a S/C?

hehe I actually kinda chuckled when I read that
Old 04-26-2006 | 07:36 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

Centrifugals are useless for the reasons you've noted. I barely consider them S/C, since they have the disadventages of both Turbo AND S/C
That's a good point

i suppose they're useless for people scared to downshift and drive up near redline when they go WOT.
Old 04-27-2006 | 04:38 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by sentry65
That's a good point

i suppose they're useless for people scared to downshift and drive up near redline when they go WOT.

They can't give full boost at all rpm...

And I would like to have full boost all the time!
Old 04-27-2006 | 10:18 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

Originally Posted by chimmike
on paper there's no lag, but in the real world, centrifugal s/cs (the only ones worth getting IMO) have essentially what is lag. Runs cooler? It may run cooler but the air charge is hotter than that of a turbo due to the nature of the units, a turbo's compressed charge is cooler than that of a s/c due to the efficiency of compression.
Like I said before, turbo choice is everything. If you smartly put together a setup, it will out-do an equivalent s/c in all aspects. It's as simple as that.

there's plenty of proof out there to back me up...I'm sure you know this too

Roots type superchargers like the stillen have a higher air intake temp because their design isn't as efficient, but centrifugals actually are a turbo driven by the belt. So wouldn't they be pretty close to what turbo intake temps are?

They can't give full boost at all rpm...

And I would like to have full boost all the time!

yeah that's true. IMO it's about how you want your tq curve shaped that's important. People that want as much power/tq area under the curve as they can get no mater how wacky the tq curve is, they might end up losing some traction and predictability or hurt the engine slapping it with 500+tq at 4000 rpms every time they floor it

Last edited by sentry65; 04-27-2006 at 10:26 AM.