Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

K&N Filter Relocation Test.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006 | 12:35 PM
gringott

I'm just outside Fort Knox (Vine Grove) and about 43.2 miles from the Louisville Airport.

BTW, I think that PVC has a RIF tag that senses if it is touching dirt or not - it might self destruct!

I am all about using everyday items for mods - a lot of times you see the Japanese adding value (i.e., stenciling Top S#$ret) on a regular product and selling it for top dollar. Just make your own stencil and you are JDM!
Old 05-05-2006 | 04:16 PM
punish_her

Originally Posted by gringott
I'm just outside Fort Knox (Vine Grove) and about 43.2 miles from the Louisville Airport.

BTW, I think that PVC has a RIF tag that senses if it is touching dirt or not - it might self destruct!

I am all about using everyday items for mods - a lot of times you see the Japanese adding value (i.e., stenciling Top S#$ret) on a regular product and selling it for top dollar. Just make your own stencil and you are JDM!

DUD NO WAY.. Vine Grove? My parent live out in Cecilia, I went to School at Central and North Hardin. My Grand Mother lives in Vine Grove. I lived in Radcliff for a year or so a while back before I went to Fl. Worked at Cup-o-Joes Bagel place just outside of Ft knox for a while too. Got friends all over there.
Old 05-05-2006 | 04:32 PM
gringott

When did you go to North Hardin? My stepdaughter and stepson both went there and my son is about to.
I've lived in Vine Grove 10years last month, and in this area since 94.
I knew that coffee place but I never went in there, too busy.
Old 05-05-2006 | 05:22 PM
punish_her

Central 95-99. Graduated from North in 99. I lived in the area about 5 years before I grew my wings and left home.
Old 05-05-2006 | 05:49 PM
gringott

My stepson graduated in 99 also. Michal Greene (he played soccer etc). His sister graduated in 2K, Agata Greene. Do you know them?
Old 05-05-2006 | 08:41 PM
punish_her

Not sure I was only there for like 4 weeks. Yeah long story, but switched schools a month before graduation. Helped me out though a little went from 20th in my class to 12th in my class when I moved schools. They may know my exwife Shannon Jolly, she was there for all 4 years.
Old 05-06-2006 | 03:48 AM
gringott

Default I'll ask them...

4 weeks at the end of the year isn't much, and it's a busy time.

Anyway, I was at Fort Knox and I retired in 2003. Bought this Z after. It is ok here, but I am graduating from school soon and may move elsewhere. What brought you to HI?
Old 05-06-2006 | 11:42 AM
punish_her

Insurance, Hurricane Jeanne in 04 blew away my house in FL and destroyed my car, and every thing gone but my 7 month old furniture. Not even a drop of water on it. So I took my insurance money and moved to Hawaii.
Old 05-13-2006 | 11:35 AM
punish_her

Sorry I havnt posted any thing. Been on vacation and havnt put them on yet. Will do it next week and get the numbers then.
Old 05-26-2006 | 12:23 AM
punish_her

Well next week came and went. Last saturday installing my suspention, and last sunday troubleshooting the EDFC control unit.

I'm pulling the nose off tomorrow to check out where to run the ducting. Well if every thing goes right.
Old 05-27-2006 | 10:11 AM
gringott

Keep us updated homeboy.
Old 05-27-2006 | 07:54 PM
punish_her

Well here it is. I the finished product. I was able to free up enough room to put the windshield washer container fluid back into the engine bay. I'll get pictures of that tomorrow, other circumstances prevented me from making a bracket.

I ran the driver side intake down through the opening and into the front nose/frender area. The passanger side was a little more difficult. I had to pull the powr steering line bracket and modify it to move the lines back out of the way, and rotate the greddy intake pipe so it points down and away and not into the bay. From there the ducting was ran between the IC piping and to the same area as the driver side filter.

I'll try to make a bracket that moves the filter off the floor area so there is less likely hood that it will suck in water

Was not able to run any number yet due to the fact greddy has broke @ss materials and there banjo bolt broke in 2 when I dropped it.
Attached Thumbnails K&N Filter Relocation Test.-finished-relocation.jpg   K&N Filter Relocation Test.-pass-relocation..jpg   K&N Filter Relocation Test.-driver-relocation.jpg   K&N Filter Relocation Test.-broke-ass-banjo-bolt-2.jpg  
Old 05-28-2006 | 03:50 AM
gringott

Nice. Tough luck on that banjo bolt. Greddy - nothing but quaility.
Old 06-07-2006 | 09:14 PM
punish_her

Sorry I was side tracked by the broken banjo bolt and another broken banjo bolt and miscillanious other fitting issues. I will be logging temps, AF readings, and pressures for 4 or 5 days noting the times and temps.
Old 06-08-2006 | 05:41 AM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by punish_her

The average intake temps over the last 2 days is 75 F under light city traffic for 30-45 minutes and 63 F for light highway traffic. Times have been between 1pm an d 3pm and ambient temp has been 83 F. I'll get a few more days of numbers and try some heavy traffic on the highway and city to see what I get.
Not really sure how you are making these observations, but an air-to-air IC can't reduce charge temps below ambient.

83F air passing over the exterior of the IC can't lower the charge temp to less than 83F.

What am I missing here?

bill
Old 06-08-2006 | 08:00 AM
punish_her

Simple,

I am comparing the data logs with air temps before the turbo kit, aftrer the turbo kit, and with the K&N. Basicly I'm just writing down the high and low temps for the session averaging them out then for all the sessions and getting the mean air temp for every thing on section of the test (before TT, with TT/FMIC, and K&N). I also note the air temp outside on my runs with the handy dandy display in the Z.

I my self am trying to unbiased and practical. I honestely dont think it will make that great of a diffrence, but its a test to see how it works. That way there is definitive yes or no its worth it. It may be just worth it to only get the K&N for there filtering capacity
Old 11-28-2006 | 03:09 PM
TTRANK

Bring this back after 6 months.

What were the final results?
Old 11-28-2006 | 05:44 PM
punish_her

Yeah after 6 months, but I realy dont have a normal job. In 6 months I've been at home 3 weeks total. Infact Im not home now. And my car went down in September and is getting a new engine.

The initial tests showed that the only real diffrence it made was from idle to about 20MPH, after that there was realy not much diffrence in temps.

There were alot of constants, the only real varriable wa the ambient air temp between night and day, and the speed. I may do another series of tests when the new engine gets in, but not sure. Total there were 30 data logs and all showed the same trend. At speeds roughly above 25 or so the tempratures were the same.
Old 11-29-2006 | 03:17 AM
TTRANK

Thanks

Did you blow you engine or just decide to build it for more?
Old 11-29-2006 | 04:00 AM
punish_her

Nah didnt quite blow it persay, but due to an irresponsable (sp) coworker it got realy fukt. I so I had an engine built for it, stage 5 spec clutch, koyo racing rad, and half shafts are comming soon.

Quick Reply: K&N Filter Relocation Test.