Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Stillen Stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:38 PM
MulhollandDrive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stillen Stage 2

Here are some pics of my Stillen Stage 2 install. This project has taken about 2 months, but hopefully all will go well now. Note the aftermarket overflow can and the Nismo CAI.
Attached Thumbnails Stillen Stage 2-roadster.jpg   Stillen Stage 2-engine.jpg   Stillen Stage 2-coolant.jpg  

Last edited by MulhollandDrive; 05-02-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:00 PM
rookie

Nice job. Question, aren't you supposed to not use those CAI bypasses with FI? http://www.aempower.com/faq.asp?fid=21&sid=&tid=3
Old 05-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

god that stillen better be good for you to have to use that hood.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:18 PM
VN_350z
Banned

How much you paid for the kit? Hood looks good. How much for it?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice job. get wheels next.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:29 AM
athenG

Hood doesn't look that bad.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:04 AM
blackend

nice look
how much whp you have?
Old 05-03-2006, 07:24 AM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by rookie
Nice job. Question, aren't you supposed to not use those CAI bypasses with FI? http://www.aempower.com/faq.asp?fid=21&sid=&tid=3
Hmm. I went to that site and it says:

"In most cases the CAS will out perform the SRS throughout the useable power range...In _some_ cases, the SRS is preferred over the CAS due to inlet tract length tuning. The power advantage gained by using the correct diameter and length of tube negates the advantage of cooler inlet air in these cases. AEM only offers SRS in _some_ cases because there was no advantage to using the CAS.

So I think it depends on your setup.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:27 AM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by VN_350z
How much you paid for the kit? Hood looks good. How much for it?
The kit prices are available on line at www.stillen.com. The hood is a whole nuther ball of wax. It is actually cheaper to buy the carbon fiber hood, but I liked the looks of the fiberglass hood a lot better. It took a _lot_ of work to get the fiberglass hood in shape to look decent and it is not exactly a perfect fit with a small gap in the front. I figure it was about $1500 for the hood!
Old 05-03-2006, 07:28 AM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by blackend
nice look
how much whp you have?
Thanks! No dyno here, but at best I think I have 400hp at the crank. Probably less. Nismo CAI, Stillen Stage 2, Nismo exhaust.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:44 AM
rookie

Originally Posted by MulhollandDrive
Hmm. I went to that site and it says:

"In most cases the CAS will out perform the SRS throughout the useable power range...In _some_ cases, the SRS is preferred over the CAS due to inlet tract length tuning. The power advantage gained by using the correct diameter and length of tube negates the advantage of cooler inlet air in these cases. AEM only offers SRS in _some_ cases because there was no advantage to using the CAS.

So I think it depends on your setup.
I'm not following all those terms, I assume those are series from AEM? I meant the inline bypass filter that you have the option of running or not running. Either way cool deal. When you moving up to stage 3?
Old 05-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good, but ditch that tacky water safety valve-its worthless man....
Old 05-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Bumble350z
Banned

Thumbs up

Here are some pics of my Stillen Stage 2 install. This project has taken about 2 months, but hopefully all will go well now. Note the aftermarket overflow can and the Nismo CAI.

wow thats nice...i am planning on installing one on my ultra yellow roadster but, the guy @ stillen said the nismo CAI wont work
but i see that you have one with the supercharger...how is the pull now with your roadster???
i have to admit that looks really sweet
good job
Old 05-03-2006, 04:46 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by Bumble350z
wow thats nice...i am planning on installing one on my ultra yellow roadster but, the guy @ stillen said the nismo CAI wont work
but i see that you have one with the supercharger...how is the pull now with your roadster???
i have to admit that looks really sweet
good job
Hey Thanks. The car drives like a V8 muscle car and I mean that in a good way. Lots o torque down low so I don't have to rev much to maintain my speed against grandma in her Chrysler Sedan with a hemi . I must admit that it seemed to have more top hp with just a short ram, but talk about noise with a short ram and I am leary of the intake temps taking air from the engine bay. The scooped hood is a giveaway. Even 12 year old kids can tell that this Z is not stock.

You are quite right about the Nismo CAI. The stock Stillen set up puts the radiator overflow can in the left fender well so we had to use an aftermarket overflow can and move it behind the bumper. Running out of places to put things!

Be prepared to work out a lot of bugs when you go aftermarket. I am almost there. Right now I just have a squeel when I turn on the air so back I go to my mechanic to adjust the belt.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most NA Z's respond better to short ram intakes, Id run it under the hood if I was you.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:04 PM
jmcmorante

I agree with Alberto!
Old 05-03-2006, 06:14 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by Alberto
Most NA Z's respond better to short ram intakes, Id run it under the hood if I was you.
Owww. My mechanic will kill me if I tell him to put back the short ram .
Old 05-03-2006, 11:50 PM
wilric44

Owww. My mechanic will kill me if I tell him to put back the short ram .
How many hours for your install. I am thinking about the Stage 2, but tell is the gains worth the amount of money paid. Now since you have it installed do you feel you need more power or does it feel sufficient? The hood looks great.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:17 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by wilric44
How many hours for your install. I am thinking about the Stage 2, but tell is the gains worth the amount of money paid. Now since you have it installed do you feel you need more power or does it feel sufficient? The hood looks great.
The install was at 14 hours contracted price. The actual time on this install is way over that, but hey the Nissan people are having fun drivin my car! As I said it is taking a while to get the bugs out. The lastest bug is a failed tension wheel on the lower AC belt. My Z is a spare car, so this experience is a win win for my mechanic and me.

With a short ram the car was getting squirrly with _every_ shift and TCS was going off with _every_ shift. Thats more power than I need, but maybe you like to live dangerously . With the CAI acceleration is great, but no slip lights. So the engine is probably running safer and cooler, but not generating as much top end power due to the longer intake. My mechanic is going to take off the bypass valve as suggested here and I will be able to see if that helps.

There is absolutely no blower whine at idle, but there is impressive noise at WOT. This setup (Nismo CAT backs and Stillen SC) is not subtle at WOT. If you like lots of torque at low revs the Stillen is the way to go.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:17 AM
wilric44

The install was at 14 hours contracted price. The actual time on this install is way over that, but hey the Nissan people are having fun drivin my car! As I said it is taking a while to get the bugs out. The lastest bug is a failed tension wheel on the lower AC belt. My Z is a spare car, so this experience is a win win for my mechanic and me.

With a short ram the car was getting squirrly with _every_ shift and TCS was going off with _every_ shift. Thats more power than I need, but maybe you like to live dangerously . With the CAI acceleration is great, but no slip lights. So the engine is probably running safer and cooler, but not generating as much top end power due to the longer intake. My mechanic is going to take off the bypass valve as suggested here and I will be able to see if that helps.

There is absolutely no blower whine at idle, but there is impressive noise at WOT. This setup (Nismo CAT backs and Stillen SC) is not subtle at WOT. If you like lots of torque at low revs the Stillen is the way to go.
thats good to hear. I spoke with stillen today and they said they guarantee 397hp and 325whp for the stage 2. That is the salesman guaranteed it. When I asked about how much torque it would add he did not seem to quite understand what I was talking about. I am sure it is all I will need I guess I am just a money hog. It is hard to let it go out of my hand. Myabe I should just let my wife get it for a birthday present for me this way I wont feel so bad. Good luck and PM me on how the car feels. I am letting Nissan install mine once I decide which route I am going to go.

Quick Reply: Stillen Stage 2