Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

best turbo kit on mostly stock engine??!?! Daily driven

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 07:31 AM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say if you never intend to build the motor, go with the Tubonetics kit. My favorite kit is going back and forth between APS TT and JWT TT but that is with intentions of building the motor. If you just never really see yourself spending $10K to build up a motor then go with TN and be happy. That kit will happily max out the stock motor for less than any other kit.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:44 PM
captj3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
You're talking about Japtrix? Everyone knows about them so you might as well just say it. Its not like you're giving away the secret location to the bat cave or anything.
Yes I am, but sometimes people get a little strange on this forum when I mention them. Maybe I just happen to know where the bat cave is.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Starchecker

My recommendation is the APS TT or the JWT TT kit, I don't think you could go wrong with either. However, they are more expensive than the TN kit. The main reason I wouldn't go ST is the added lag, both in throttle response and the RPM range where you can get full boost. If that's not a concern for you I say TN would be a solid choice.

Keep in mind I don't even own a kit, but that is my recommendation from all the research I have done on this forum.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ Have you ever driven a TN Z? People make the "lag" seem so much worse than it is. Anybody looking to accelerate will ALWAYS be in boost with any of the turbo kits out if they are in the right gear.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Starchecker

Originally Posted by Alberto
^^ Have you ever driven a TN Z? People make the "lag" seem so much worse than it is. Anybody looking to accelerate will ALWAYS be in boost with any of the turbo kits out if they are in the right gear.
No I haven't. I would love to though. In Denver, there just aren't too many modded Z's.

I just want my car to feel as close to stock as possible(with a lot more power). I would prefer a Stillen SC, but up at Denver they only put out about 250rwhp with a stage 3, so I have to go Turbo to see real results.

The only turbo I have driven was an STI, which was fun as hell, but it doesn't really kick in until about 3000 rpm, I believe the TN comes on strong at 2500 and the TT's closer to 2000.

So for me, without the benefit of doing comparisons I can only make my recommendation from all the research on the boards and looking at the Dyno charts. So I was just providing him some factors that I have considered.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:35 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Starchecker
No I haven't. I would love to though. In Denver, there just aren't too many modded Z's.

I just want my car to feel as close to stock as possible(with a lot more power). I would prefer a Stillen SC, but up at Denver they only put out about 250rwhp with a stage 3, so I have to go Turbo to see real results.

The only turbo I have driven was an STI, which was fun as hell, but it doesn't really kick in until about 3000 rpm, I believe the TN comes on strong at 2500 and the TT's closer to 2000.

So for me, without the benefit of doing comparisons I can only make my recommendation from all the research on the boards and looking at the Dyno charts. So I was just providing him some factors that I have considered.
Um where are you getting this info from? Most TT kits hit full boost at around 3000-3200 the Turbonetics kit hits full boost between 3200-3600.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:15 PM
theking

A half second after you hit the throttle you will be making more power than the stock car. There is no "lag" per se in any of these kits. With 95.5mm pistons stock, our cars aren't like the ST long stroke cars most people think of with lag(Supra's namely). It will make more power than stock moments after throttle tip-in. When people are talking about ST lag they are comparing it to TT's which even at 2000rpms in any gear make some boost. If you haven't driven them then you have no room to talk.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Starchecker

Originally Posted by theking
If you haven't driven them then you have no room to talk.
I haven't walked off a cliff yet, but I can, with great confidence, strongly suggest someone else not do that either.

I mentioned at the end of my post that I didn't even have a turbo kit, so he would know that I was basing my information on what I had studied on this forum and other respected magazine sources.

My whole point of the post for him was to make sure he was considering all points.

MIAPLAYA, I wasn't saying they were hitting full boost at those RPM's, just getting noticeable power increases. With that in mind, the TT charts compared to the ST charts in the 2000 - 2500 RPM range seem to have a much more noticeable impact on torque.

For some that might not be a concern, for others it would, so I just wanted to make sure he was aware of that.

From some things I have read as far as throttle response goes, it's .4 seconds on the singles and .2 on the smaller twins. Again certainly not major, but if you're main goal is to make it "feel" as close to NA with a lot more power than it's something to consider.

I was not trashing ST's or TN kits, I was just bringing up the reported advantages. I believe it was the Sport Z magazine tests of the JWT TT and APS TT that brought these points up, and their dyno charts backed it up. They, as well as others, have praised the JWT kit for instantaneous throttle response.

So the question is, is it worth the extra $4 - $5,000 for eliminating as much lag as possible. That is a question only he can answer, which is why I didn't tell him which way to go, especially since I haven't driven either. Hell I may even get a chance to drive a TN someday and decide it feels so good that I would rather have the kit now, rather than wait to save the extra money for the TT. I was definitely planning on contacting MIAPLAYA if I ever got to CA to try it out, I know he has an impressive set-up.

Last edited by Starchecker; 05-11-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:03 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

get a greddy and and call it a day...
Old 05-11-2006, 05:25 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Reading these posts, I must say, IMO, Starchecker seems pretty well informed. Wheather he has driven a ST, TT SC'ed car or not he seems to have done enough research.
Most all FI kits for these cars are good in thier own right for one reason or another, some don't mind or notice the added lag on some of these kits (mostly the ST kits) but I do, and I hate turbo lag .....the less the better! LMAO!

IMO, .......turbo lag = J/K.....too each his own, and happy turbo shopping.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:04 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
IMO, .......turbo lag =

Every time I see this I have to . You automatically assume that everyone is looking for a road track car when they're looking into an FI system. That coudn't be farther from the truth.

In my humble opinion, a certain (small) amount of lag is best for a street driven (dd) car and also in the 1/4mi.

But, like you said, to each his own. Everyone has their own personal goals and wants, so trying to "force" the decision upon someone because you like one or the other is not very considerate.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:11 PM
theking

Great analogy but the point was that the stock car at throttle tip-in versus the NA car is very little difference in the amount of torque outputted. That is why you have to drive both to be able to talk about it. Another member(Audiblemayhem) and I have recently tested the so called lag side by side with me at wastegate pressure(5.5psi and crappy response because the boost controller keeps the gates closed longer than just running off straight wg pressure) and his car (NA runs a very respectable 12.9 with slicks and 13.2 on street tires) so it isn't slow by any means. With the standard 3 honk sequence on the road rolling in first he pulls about 4 feet ahead. In second about 2 feet and in third it might be a few inches. These are all starting around 2000 rpms. Within a split second I have made up the distance and pull him by a solid car in every gear. Even with the "lag" we still have plenty of torque without boost.
I haven't walked off a cliff yet, but I can, with great confidence, strongly suggest someone else not do that either.

I mentioned at the end of my post that I didn't even have a turbo kit, so he would know that I was basing my information on what I had studied on this forum and other respected magazine sources.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:39 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by theking
Great analogy but the point was that the stock car at throttle tip-in versus the NA car is very little difference in the amount of torque outputted. That is why you have to drive both to be able to talk about it. Another member(Audiblemayhem) and I have recently tested the so called lag side by side with me at wastegate pressure(5.5psi and crappy response because the boost controller keeps the gates closed longer than just running off straight wg pressure) and his car (NA runs a very respectable 12.9 with slicks and 13.2 on street tires) so it isn't slow by any means. With the standard 3 honk sequence on the road rolling in first he pulls about 4 feet ahead. In second about 2 feet and in third it might be a few inches. These are all starting around 2000 rpms. Within a split second I have made up the distance and pull him by a solid car in every gear. Even with the "lag" we still have plenty of torque without boost.
Agreed with you and taurran. Unless you have actually driven both cars you can't really compare. Each turbo system is designed with its own purpose/power delivery in mind. A single turbo kit by design is meant to provide better midrange and top end power then most of the smaller turbo twin kits. Those smaller twin kits spool up incredbly fast but also typically have a weaker topend/midrane. Now I'm not saying ALL of these kits exhibit this but its rather an example of design principles. In terms of performance it looks like the ST drag racers or pulling times VERY close or equal to twin kits so I don't see a major difference there. In regards to tracking the car while I haven't driven a built motor smaller turbo twin kit I have ridden around the track in a Greddy twin kit and I have driven my single kit around the track. The difference was ZERO....
Old 05-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
In terms of performance it looks like the ST drag racers or pulling times VERY close or equal to twin kits so I don't see a major difference there
$hit in my case my ST is faster than all but 3 or 4 TT guys on this board (who run down the 1/4) and all with 40whp+ over me. Id love to squeeze 430-460whp out of a single and show people the true potential-and I spent thousands less. For me the choice was clear and I couldnt be happier <---that was not a put down to TT kits, not trying to start a flame war just stating the facts and my opinion.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:09 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Alberto
$hit in my case my ST is faster than all but 3 or 4 TT guys on this board (who run down the 1/4) and all with 40whp+ over me. Id love to squeeze 430-460whp out of a single and show people the true potential-and I spent thousands less. For me the choice was clear and I couldnt be happier <---that was not a put down to TT kits, not trying to start a flame war just stating the facts and my opinion.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:22 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Ok, as you guys know, I have driven all of these kits, infact, on the same day. The point is not me expressing which one I prefer for MY needs. The point is that anyone that is really going to buy a kit should at least drive the ones they are interested in. For example, drive a ST and TT kit, then YOU decide which one matches your needs.

I cant imagine most of you having another person pick out your model car, color of the car etc or pick out your wife. Why then would you blindly take a persons opinion, especially a person you have not met, as the gospel on turbo kit performance?

There is little doubt that most guys that bought a GReddy, love it, likewise for those that own APS or TN etc. Asking most guys that own a specific kit which one is best is much like going on a 350Z forum and asking them which car is better, a 350Z or RX8.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:41 AM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by zland
Ok, as you guys know, I have driven all of these kits, infact, on the same day. The point is not me expressing which one I prefer for MY needs. The point is that anyone that is really going to buy a kit should at least drive the ones they are interested in. For example, drive a ST and TT kit, then YOU decide which one matches your needs.

I cant imagine most of you having another person pick out your model car, color of the car etc or pick out your wife. Why then would you blindly take a persons opinion, especially a person you have not met, as the gospel on turbo kit performance?

There is little doubt that most guys that bought a GReddy, love it, likewise for those that own APS or TN etc. Asking most guys that own a specific kit which one is best is much like going on a 350Z forum and asking them which car is better, a 350Z or RX8.
We have seen all kinds of FI kits in our shop including Stillen SC, Greddy, TN, SFR, Turbine Blowers, custom drag race one off kits, and JWT.

As far as I'm concerned, the customer needs to drive the cars with the kits, if at all possible, and then make a decision from their own experience. Otherwise, most everyone with their own kits and their own experience will just keep talking trash about everyone else’s kits.

My kit is better, or their kit is better. All FI kits have merit...If they safely increase power over stock...AND ARE SAFELY TUNED..They are cool with VRT.

As for kit failures, IMO - all kits can fail, yet this is the risk we all take for our quest for more power - I don't care if you are SC or strapping turbos.

THEY ALL CAN FAIL. We have seen blown motors resulting from all sorts of FI kits, but yet, they still all have their merits, price, over ST, or smaller turbo, or bigger turbo...It is hard to choose and hard not to be biased.

Yet from what we have seen - It is installer failure, tuner failure, and or mechanical failure that poor oil circulation and can ultimately CREATE DETONATION - And that is what makes for blown motors. Poor Tuning, Extreme unmanageable HEAT, and DETONATION blows up motors NOT certain kits...

Good luck.

M

Last edited by mraturbo; 05-12-2006 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:28 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 by VRT - He is right on the money IMO. I bought my small turbo kit (Power Enterprise) because the deal I got made it cheaper than anything else that was available at the time. If I had the opertunity, I sure would have at least ridden in each type before I purchased. But I didn't have that, so as a daily driver I was one phone call from ordering the HKS kit - but several dealers told me there was a misterious problem with the kit - and they wouldn't elaborate. The next day I stumbled on a new PE kit for $600 cheaper than my "best price" HKS kit. Since the vendor was relatively local to me, the only TT kit that wasn't still in the "soon" stage was the Greddy, and there was a rash of blown motors on it - shoot, I bought what I could. I am very happy with my kit - not one breakdown yet - drive to work every day. But would I have been happier in the long run with another kit? Don't know, this is the only FI 350Z I have seen or driven. But I am happy with my kit - but not with PE. The USA branch is weak at best - about everything. If you want support, I hope you live by them. That is the weakness of this kit.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Speedracer

Default Another point to consider.....

Does the TN kit, or any single turbo for that matter, eliminate the cats? If so, this may be a big consideration if your car needs to pass emissions testing to stay on the road.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Yes, the standard TN kit eliminates the cats, BUT they offer an optional kit with a cat built into the downpipe for those worried about emissions Im not 100% sure on the APS ST...

Quick Reply: best turbo kit on mostly stock engine??!?! Daily driven