Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Couple questions...need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 05:11 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abyss
Because there were a few things added in 06 that I like and finding a used sportscar in good condition is quite hard these days. Hell, if I found a used 04 or 05 that was in great shape I'd prolly jump on it, but the ones I'v seen around here where I live so far haven't been taken care of.
just a FYI, the car is in excellent shape, new paint, polished wheels..it looks new!
Old 05-13-2006, 05:33 AM
tonio

Hey Sharif, out of curiosity could you guys install the JWT TT kit?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:00 PM
abyss

So if I decide to break doctors orders and start using my arm to shift again since setting there with an auto not being able to play around bores me, whats the best clutch on the market? We did some more talking today and my grandma's and they said they want me to get a SC since my dad said he heard a SC Z and it sounded beautiful. I haven't read anyone blowing their engine yet with a SC, nobody has have they?
Old 05-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are blown motors on all types of FI applications, and the threads are loaded with stories of blown SC motors as well as turbos.

The best clutch and lightweight flywheel combinations are going to be double or triple carbon clutch types, in my view, as they are very strong, and yet also street civil. I think that if you go for a built motor you are looking at an ATS or Exedy type. Sharif handles the ATS, I have one on my VRT car built with the JWT TT and it manages more than 600lb ft torque to the rear wheels on the track with no problem. The approximately 10lb flywheel is more manageable on the street than the 8lb Tilton.

You are going to need a BBK if you take that heavy car to the track, unless you only want to do three laps before you boil the fluid and exceed the capacity of the pads and rotors.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:01 PM
abyss

yea BBK is a must, I did some reading and heard AP Racing has a great BBK so I'll prolly get those. Just gotta weigh my options more since I was asked to hold off on building the car up. I'v always liked SC's but they don't put out the power I 'was' looking for but I was also knocked down to reality and reminded that this is gonna be a daily driver and I should be reasonable with the power i mod it to. So when I did more reading and asking here and read that with a blower I could get 500whp from a SC with the sacrifice thats its gonna be loud as sin it left me in a prediciment. I want a loud exhaust but I don't want something thats gonna be gawty.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your thought process is solid. No matter what else, take your time and do lots of reading. AP Racing is a fine set up, but very powerful. If you are going to track the car a few times a year, yes go for it. Otherwise, there are some other options that are also very excellent, but a tad less expensive. Such as Stop Tech.
When you get different wheels than those heavy stock pigs, go as light as you can get in forged one piece designs, or Enkei MAT process. And search out the best gripping LIGHT weight compound rubber tires. The performance response difference is very noticeable from shedding unsprung weight.

Good luck, have fun, drive safe!!!!!

Ed
Old 05-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonio
Hey Sharif, out of curiosity could you guys install the JWT TT kit?
Yes tonio, we can install them.

Abyss, Eagle1 is spot on. All of the FI kits have the potential to damage motors if not installed, tuned, and maintained properly. The SC kits, generally speaking, are gentler on engines, becuase they produce about 25% less trq than the single and TT kits. But as Eagle1 alluded to, there are plenty of blow engine reports as well.

As a track guru, Eagle1 is also spot-on, in regards to the BBK. Keep in mind, that BBK's are not necesarily designed to bring your car to halt any faster than OEM, for single stop usage. More importantly, they are designed to withstand repeated heat, and track abuse, and to be fade free and controllable after repeated stops.

I have played with all of the BBK kits on the market. Hands down, the AP Racing BBK, from my experience, is the best on the market, followed very closely by Stop-Tech. You probably can't go wrong with either kit. The AP Racing kit is a few hundred bucks more expensive. We carry both kits if you are interested in either one.

Best of luck,

S.