Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo rusting...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 04:07 PM
lucidazn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Yes it keeps the heat in the turbine housing so it helps lower temps under the hood and technically increases spool by keeping more heat where it belongs..
Yup, it's kinda replaces the head shield. I'm going to try to make both fit, but I doubt that will happen.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:24 PM
taurran

I was looking at a similar turbo blanket. So far I've yet to pull the trigger on it due to my own laziness and not being sure how it would fit. I'd like to see what it looks like on a turbonetics kit and if there are any fitment issues. How difficult do you think the install will be? I'm guessing you'd just need to pull the intake piping off to get in there and remove the old heat shield and secure it.

Oh, and I see no benefit in having both shields in there, if they'd even fit, which I doubt they would...
Old 06-05-2006, 05:00 PM
lucidazn

I'll be sure to take some pictures during and after the installation.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by taurran
Mine gets rusty every once in a while, but fortunately for me I have plenty of rust-busting experience from being a grunt in the marine corps.

I've been using a wire brush on an extension and CLP (cleaning lubricant protectant), which is actually gun oil. What I'll do is put it on the wire brush and scrub down the turibine housing with it, and then let it sit for a while to break up the rust a little. Then, I'll come back with the wire brush and more oil later and scrub more off. Then I'll get a rag and wipe off the rust and excess oil. The oil seems to burn off for the most part after a couple runs and it looks a lot better.
Oh I like that, wire brush I knew would help scrape it off. But gun oil
Old 06-05-2006, 09:21 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Peking
Oh I like that, wire brush I knew would help scrape it off. But gun oil
Not just any gun oil but CLP. A Marines best friend when cleaning his rifle. Well next to a dunk tank but that eats the stock so CLP it is. Most gun stores sell it. I bought some the other day at the local shop for my Ruger...
Old 06-05-2006, 09:22 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by lucidazn
Yup, it's kinda replaces the head shield. I'm going to try to make both fit, but I doubt that will happen.
It doesn't kinda replace it it replaces it. Which one did you order? The larger one or smaller one. The Stage V turbine housing is about the same as a T4 so the bigger one should work better.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:29 AM
lucidazn

It doesn't kinda replace it it replaces it. Which one did you order? The larger one or smaller one. The Stage V turbine housing is about the same as a T4 so the bigger one should work better.
Yup, I got the bigger one.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:00 PM
lucidazn

I installed the turbo blanket today. The difference is night and day. It keeps all the heat within the turbine. Before the blanket, the turbines heat underneath the hood would be everywhere. Now my hood area stays cool, and I can't fry and egg on it anymore.

My intake charge *should* be cooler, because I see a difference in my EGT's. EGT's cool faster, and it's about 100F degrees cooler. Please don't quote me on this, I have much further research to do on this.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:39 PM
taurran

I installed the turbo blanket today. The difference is night and day. It keeps all the heat within the turbine. Before the blanket, the turbines heat underneath the hood would be everywhere. Now my hood area stays cool, and I can't fry and egg on it anymore.

My intake charge *should* be cooler, because I see a difference in my EGT's. EGT's cool faster, and it's about 100F degrees cooler. Please don't quote me on this, I have much further research to do on this.
That sounds awesome. I'd really like to get ahold of one of these soon. What all did you have to do to get it fitted properly? Can you get away with just taking the intake charge pipe off?
Old 06-09-2006, 07:05 PM
lucidazn

Yup, that's all you need to do. It comes pretty much fitting almost perfectly. No additional work is required. Also, I'm able to put my fingers on blanket for a good couple seconds before it gets a little toasty. Try that with the heat shield!

If you do get it, make sure it's the silver one. The black is smaller and might not fit as well.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:09 PM
taurran

Yup, that's all you need to do. It comes pretty much fitting almost perfectly. No additional work is required. Also, I'm able to put my fingers on blanket for a good couple seconds before it gets a little toasty. Try that with the heat shield!

If you do get it, make sure it's the silver one. The black is smaller and might not fit as well.

Very cool. Yeah, I've been considering buying the silver one and painting it black with high temp paint. Maybe I'll have to do this sooner than later.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:29 PM
MIAPLAYA

Glad that worked out for you. Get some pics up when you get a chance. Here and at www.turboneticsownersclub.com
Old 06-11-2006, 07:45 AM
Peking

Not just any gun oil but CLP. A Marines best friend when cleaning his rifle. Well next to a dunk tank but that eats the stock so CLP it is. Most gun stores sell it. I bought some the other day at the local shop for my Ruger...
Thanks MIA for the info, I will make the trip out for some of that oil.

Oh man, now I am going to pick up one... Much easier than taking off all the exhaust piping and heat wrapping lol.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:06 PM
rs350z

pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:18 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 pics of the blanket would be nice....
Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Alberto
+1 pics of the blanket would be nice....
+1 Pics dammit
Old 06-13-2006, 09:10 AM
DBZ33

After I see the picture I am also going to get this turbo blanket installed.

+1 for the pictures
Old 06-13-2006, 09:14 AM
lucidazn

Alright alright... lemme get my SLR out... hahah

I haven't driven my car at all since the install do I don't have any more to say about it... I wish I had temperature probes to do a comparison before and after install.

Maybe somebody else can do it, that is if they are about to install this thing and has the proper equipment. It wouldn't take long at all. Take temps in 3 different spots in the engine bay.
1 - Intake area
2 - Right above the heat shield
3 - You can put this probe anywhere you want baby

Enjoy!

ps. Also, do you see the tubing that is looped in the pictures? Can I connect my Greddy Oil Catch Can to that? I think my installer said that. But I forgot what he said. Too lazy to call him back blahhhhhh Is that the optimum place to put it?

Last edited by lucidazn; 06-13-2006 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:55 AM
DBZ33

I want one asap. The page below says that the black blanket will fit a T-72 and smaller. "The black blanket is slightly smaller and we know it fits T-72 GTQ and smaller, we have not tested it on anything bigger."

Do you think it will fit out T-60?

Last edited by DBZ33; 06-13-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:11 AM
DBZ33

Also how about this one? Less money.

http://phase2motorsports.stores.yaho...boblanket.html

Quick Reply: Turbo rusting...