Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics kit just installed, safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:58 PM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Turbonetics kit just installed, safety concerns

Hey I just had the turbonetics kit installed. I took it for a test run and something broke. I'm a little upset but the dealership that did the install is gonna work with me on getting it covered under warranty. My question is how can I prevent this from happening again. Is there anything I can do to strengthen my engine without spending a lot more cash.

I heard a crack and the engine died on me. I had 91 octane fuel and everything else is stock. I had just passed 5K rpms when it cracked. I tried starting the engine again and it ran but had a constant ticking sound coming from the engine bay. Everyone I talked to said that it was probably the valve springs, which I guess makes since.

Now I'm half way educated about engines but they are still new to me so dumb it down some when you reply.

Thanx
Old 06-09-2006, 09:01 PM
HeadGames

I doubt very much it has anything to do with a valvespring..I am not diagnosing over the puter but if something happened to your valvespring the engine would be making much more noise then a click because it would have alot of carnage.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:07 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard were you really driving the car? Did you have a boost gauge installed? What was peak boost? What about a wideband, AFR?
Old 06-09-2006, 09:46 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Going F/I without understanding how the engine and F/I works is like going to a war without any weapons... I suggest you stay up many sleepless nights searching through this forum and educate yourself... Or else you might be in for some bad bad experiences with your F/Ied Z even if your current problem gets fixed...
Old 06-10-2006, 10:59 AM
G3.5T

Intrested to know what broke. Keep us posted.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:35 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
Going F/I without understanding how the engine and F/I works is like going to a war without any weapons... I suggest you stay up many sleepless nights searching through this forum and educate yourself... Or else you might be in for some bad bad experiences with your F/Ied Z even if your current problem gets fixed...
No freaking kidding, I cringe when seeing these kinds of threads...

Because without the understanding and knowledge... You are just asking for trouble.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:48 AM
gatti-man

also what kind of shop lets someone do this.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:52 AM
GMZ

Originally Posted by redman333
I'm a little upset but the dealership that did the install is gonna work with me on getting it covered under warranty.
Lucky that they seem to be working with him.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:01 AM
redman333

The kit was the basic turbonetics st kit so I had nothing installed for boost gauge or a wide band afr. As far as leeboyNY post, thats exactly what I've been doing and I'm also getting in touch with some reputable shops in my area to help me out to. It may have been a dumb move getting into this without the knowledge needed but am learning the hard way.

The shop got back in touch with me and said that I had spun a rod bearing. Once again I have to look up what that means but if you can help it would be appreciated.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:50 AM
chimmike

no turbo kit comes with a boost gauge or wideband.....WHAT WERE YOU THINKING RUNNING WITHOUT A BOOST GAUGE???????
Old 06-12-2006, 04:37 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by chimmike
no turbo kit comes with a boost gauge or wideband.....WHAT WERE YOU THINKING RUNNING WITHOUT A BOOST GAUGE???????

For fks sakes, a kit should work how it is advertised! The addition of gages doesn't make the kit work.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:30 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
For fks sakes, a kit should work how it is advertised! The addition of gages doesn't make the kit work.
would you buy a car without a speedometer? Of course it's going to work how advertised. But would you?

of course it doesn't make the kit work, but YOU CAN MONITOR WHAT IS GOING ON! Jesus. Slap your goddamn forehead with a shovel, idiot.

Maybe there was INSTALLER ERROR that cause a malfunction in the kit, genius. Ever think of that?

If you're trying to defend someone who bought a turbo kit and couldn't spend $40 to get a boost gauge, you obviously have NEVER dealt with forced induction before.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:35 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

first thing was getting a dealership to do the install.. unless they are reputable on working and tuning aftermarket turbo kits.. i wouldn't go there..

most dealerships the guys just read the FSM all day long.. thats all they do
Old 06-12-2006, 05:36 AM
chimmike

^^ I doubt they do that much. They read the consult II and take it as gospel. I don't think any dealers have 'real' mechanics anymore.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:44 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

would you buy a car without a speedometer? Of course it's going to work how advertised. But would you?

of course it doesn't make the kit work, but YOU CAN MONITOR WHAT IS GOING ON! Jesus. Slap your goddamn forehead with a shovel, idiot.

Maybe there was INSTALLER ERROR that cause a malfunction in the kit, genius. Ever think of that?

If you're trying to defend someone who bought a turbo kit and couldn't spend $40 to get a boost gauge, you obviously have NEVER dealt with forced induction before.
What does going too fast have to do with breaking a car? Nothing. Try again.

What does over boosting have to do with ruining rod bearings? Everything. We don't even know if over boost caused the problem in the first place so what good would a boost gauge have done?

Regardless, installer error should have been accounted for by including the boost gauge in the kit in my opinion...if Turbonetics had forseen installer error as a real problem.

I am trying to defend someone who bought a product, which did not perform as advertised.

I am not blaming anyone or any company... I just don't like seeing this guy get flamed for nothing.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:53 AM
Peking

As simple as the kit can be for some, there are those who can easily install incorrectly along with various other factors that can cause damage that may not even be a result of the install (damage unseen or something close to causing a problem and something like boost breaks the back of the camel).

Any major power adding mods (boost, N/X, etc.) need to be monitored regardless.

I didn't mean to come off "flaming" but I do stand by what I said. And understand what you are saying, but that is why there are plenty of disclaimers... Infact I would think all kits come with numerous disclaimers, it is a risk you take. So best to play it as safe as you can.

Along with agreeing, taking something like that to the dealer... Not a good idea.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:59 AM
chimmike

I am not blaming anyone or any company... I just don't like seeing this guy get flamed for nothing.
okay, then what the hell do you mean by this:

I am trying to defend someone who bought a product, which did not perform as advertised.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IT DIDN'T PERFORM AS ADVERTISED? Where's your proof?

Oh, and show me ONE KIT for the 350z on the market that includes a boost gauge It's not TN's responsibility to make sure each owner verifies how the vehicle runs.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:03 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by Peking
As simple as the kit can be for some, there are those who can easily install incorrectly along with various other factors that can cause damage that may not even be a result of the install (damage unseen or something close to causing a problem and something like boost breaks the back of the camel).

Any major power adding mods (boost, N/X, etc.) need to be monitored regardless.

I didn't mean to come off "flaming" but I do stand by what I said. And understand what you are saying, but that is why there are plenty of disclaimers... Infact I would think all kits come with numerous disclaimers, it is a risk you take. So best to play it as safe as you can.

Along with agreeing, taking something like that to the dealer... Not a good idea.
I would never buy a kit without assessing the factors that could make something go wrong and thus install devices to try and prevent melt down.

I understood the point of your post but some came of as condescending.

Yeah the dealer was a bad choice. At least you can hold a dealer accountable for their mistakes if you can pin them.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:06 AM
chimmike

At least you can hold a dealer accountable for their mistakes if you can pin them.
unfortunately this guy doesn't know enough to be able to pin them if they screwed up.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:08 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

okay, then what the hell do you mean by this:

HOW DO YOU KNOW IT DIDN'T PERFORM AS ADVERTISED? Where's your proof?

Oh, and show me ONE KIT for the 350z on the market that includes a boost gauge It's not TN's responsibility to make sure each owner verifies how the vehicle runs.
his car broke. Somewhere, someone messed up.

Please try and be a little more condescending. It makes you a much more credible person.

unfortunately this guy doesn't know enough to be able to pin them if they screwed up.
that is why he came here?

Quick Reply: Turbonetics kit just installed, safety concerns