Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech Noise Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Triji

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech Noise Question

For those that have the Vortech noise at idle, do you have the V-1 version or the V-2 SQ SC-Trim?

The V-2 SQ SC is supposed to be much more quiet and Vortech offers an exchange program for this. http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...exprogv-2.html
Old 06-12-2006, 09:19 AM
buffmanjeff

I have the v-2 sq sc-trim and it sounds god aweful. I'm trying to find a solution and get response from vortech. Haven't gotten much feedback either way besides i think i was sent a bad blower......and its BRAND NEW!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:07 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine runs fairly quiet...V2SQ
Old 06-12-2006, 10:33 AM
350z+

Mine sounds nice! Thee wastgate makes it sound better...
Old 06-12-2006, 10:47 AM
sentry65
the burninator

I think the V2SQ is the standard blower for the FI kit these days

it says so right on their site
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...3-04_350Z.html
Old 06-12-2006, 12:11 PM
buffmanjeff

here listen to mine and tell me what you think....

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...0z_vortech.flv

Old 06-12-2006, 12:54 PM
sentry65
the burninator

well your car is making a sorta low pitched buzz sound that I never heard my car make.

Might be worth mentioning that when I first had my SC installed and it was idling at 750 rpms, it was noisier and I'd hear what I'd describe as clunking and rattling but not buzz/rattling in the way your car is.

I think my SC quieted down a little after a few hundred miles were put on it - and also I raised my idle which you've heard me say before, but something is a little weird sounding with your car IMO based on how my car sounds
Old 06-12-2006, 01:07 PM
buffmanjeff

Originally Posted by sentry65
well your car is making a sorta low pitched buzz sound that I never heard my car make.

Might be worth mentioning that when I first had my SC installed and it was idling at 750 rpms, it was noisier and I'd hear what I'd describe as clunking and rattling but not buzz/rattling in the way your car is.

I think my SC quieted down a little after a few hundred miles were put on it - and also I raised my idle which you've heard me say before, but something is a little weird sounding with your car IMO based on how my car sounds
yea, its turning into a big headache because i dont have word from vortech. i sent them the videos and haven't gotten a response yet. I keep calling and i leave a message but no response. I have a big headache over it because i've had 2 shops, including performance nissan, tell me its not normal from what they've seen. BRAND NEW unit is what is pissing me off. I just want to be certain nothing is wrong. Going back to performance nissan tomorrow to compare with another vortech Z going in for service.

Here's another video i took with another camera just to compare noises.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...rtech_long.flv
Old 06-12-2006, 01:10 PM
buffmanjeff

You know what would help me greatly if you guys could post your engine at idle with the vortech. and let me know if you did anything such as raising idle which is what seems to be common, however mine doesn't really go away, to fix any noise issues. That would be sooooooo helpful.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:20 PM
sentry65
the burninator

whoa, yeah you can really hear it in that 2nd video.

could one of the pulleys be loose or something?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:45 PM
buffmanjeff

whoa, yeah you can really hear it in that 2nd video.

could one of the pulleys be loose or something?
Man, to the best of my abilities i have checked everything. Will the blower rattle from within if a pulley is loose i wonder? Cuz its coming from within. Also did you tighten the pulley that is on the blower? It rattles like hell when i take off the cog belt. Here is a link to another guy (g8tor) that had the problem. mine does the same crap. Shake it with the cog belt off and see if yours does it.

http://media.putfile.com/rattle34
Old 06-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Forced

Jeff...let's get that blower back to us....
Old 06-12-2006, 03:50 PM
freezeg35

Hey sentry, ive got a bit of a buzzing/shuddering when i rev it up and let the idle come down normally at about 600rpm then it comes up to about 750 and sounds fine. I can replicate this noise from the blower by idling and running my windows down all the way and then holding the down button even when the window is all the way down. Does this sound similar to what you had.
Im gonna go to the dealer and raise the idle to 850 soon to see what happens.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:30 PM
rookie

^ I think you're hearing a load on your alternator coming thru the SC when you use your power windows.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:56 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i dunno, the clunking sound i had at 750 rpm idle went away when i raised the idle to 950 rpm

i've noticed when my AC is on I can hear a sorta metallic mechanical whine around 3000 rpms just cruising. It goes away as soon as I turn off the AC
Old 06-12-2006, 07:11 PM
buffmanjeff

I dont know, a tech at vortech is supposed to be contacing me according to steve (aka forced). So far no one is returning my phone calls, only emails. I'm going to go to Performance Nissan tomorrow and listen to another vorteched Z they will have there. I'm taking my dam video camera so i have proof if vortech questions my blower, the tech there said its pretty quiet and something is wrong with mine. I swear this thing is a bucket of bolts at idle. Wish me luck.

And just to keep everyone posted this is the response i got from vortech about the blower in an email

"that is a gear sound...i think that's why they want to check it out...it is definetely not normal."

So there is everyones answers..... which is why i'm holding off raising the idle as of now, until this is situated.

Last edited by buffmanjeff; 06-12-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Triji

It looks like Steve a couple of posts above wants you to send it back in to them...

Hey, I noticed you have a polished kit... Are all of your pipes polished? even the ones by the intercooler? Is the intercooler polished?

Do you have pics?

THANKS!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:33 PM
buffmanjeff

I know he wants me to send it in, i'm going to have to pay 250 bucks to have Performance take it off and send it in. Sucks, big time! since this is a brand new kit but seriously i want this headache gone and i'm going to try and do whatever is necessary to fix it, especially since vortech says "it is definetely not normal"

And no, not all the piping comes polished, only 3 pipes and the blower come polished. If you want the IC polished, take it to a harley shop.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Triji

Originally Posted by buffmanjeff
And no, not all the piping comes polished, only 3 pipes and the blower come polished. If you want the IC polished, take it to a harley shop.
Ok, Thanks... I saw one where not all the pipes were polished and just wanted to know if that was normal...

Didn't you already send it in once before (the blower?) and Vortech said it was normal?...

I hope my install goes smooth...
Old 06-12-2006, 07:44 PM
sentry65
the burninator

oh weird, I could've sworn when I saw pics of all the pieces of the polished kit that all the piping (except intercooler) was polished

I have the satin finish and i'm figuring when I upgrade to a T-trim blower, I'll get it polished. It's pretty easy to take the small pipes next to the engine to HPC to get polished or coated. Or see what happens with that single piece MAF tube thing people are talking about making

Quick Reply: Vortech Noise Question