Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

JE Pistons gone bad...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 08:37 PM
bigbri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
I hope you plan on running c16 all day
+1
Old 06-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the problem was more with you running 10.5:1 compression with FI than the pistons.......even though that is strange, 10.5:1 with boost=not the smartest.
KTaylor purchased the car with those pistons already installed. He was told by the seller that they were 8.5:1
Old 06-30-2006, 08:59 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
KTaylor purchased the car with those pistons already installed. He was told by the seller that they were 8.5:1
Ooops
Old 07-01-2006, 02:46 AM
bigbri

Thats FUKED...
Old 07-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Weqster

low comp. pfft. High-comp turbo is where its at.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

JE is nowhere near the quality of a CP or Arias piston..F/I builds should ONLY use CP or Arias pistons and Crower or Pauter rods..We stay away from the flimsy stuff like Ross and Eagle.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Weqster
low comp. pfft. High-comp turbo is where its at.
Till you detonate the **** out of your built motor..On a street car running pump gas(93 in the states) no way you should consider high compression and boost..Even at 8.5:1 compression were pulling a bunch of timing to keep from knocking..
Old 07-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Spanners

I hope you plan on running c16 all day
LOL.. thats that would be good enough!
We're talking 35psi her eon 11.5:1
Methanol and alot of it.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:19 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
JE is nowhere near the quality of a CP or Arias piston..F/I builds should ONLY use CP or Arias pistons and Crower or Pauter rods..We stay away from the flimsy stuff like Ross and Eagle.
Do you have some factual info on the Eagle rods being sub par? What is your experience with them?

Respect
JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 07-03-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:54 PM
KTaylor

Originally Posted by Spanners
LOL.. thats that would be good enough!
We're talking 35psi her eon 11.5:1
Methanol and alot of it.

sweet setup lol
Old 07-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Do you have some factual info on the Eagle rods being sub par? What is your experience with them?

Respect
JET
Yes, on other applications..Pauter is the way to go, if money is no object Corillo "H" beams..But I would not install the Eagle rods that are out for the VQ35 application.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:08 PM
mchapman

That doesnt tell us anything about them being sub par.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:13 PM
bacalhau16

Im fine with his opinion just because im sure he's built a few of them.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by mchapman
That doesnt tell us anything about them being sub par.
Then look at the picture of the skirt missing on his piston..Find me a pic of a CP or Arias in the same condition... Trust me, we have built a few motors to realize to stay far away from Eagle rods on a "SERIOUS" car...
Old 07-03-2006, 07:44 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Question

Then look at the picture of the skirt missing on his piston..Find me a pic of a CP or Arias in the same condition... Trust me, we have built a few motors to realize to stay far away from Eagle rods on a "SERIOUS" car...
We are more than confident using the eagle rods on 550-600rwhp applications...anything higher, we recommend the GTM rods (light as an eagle, almost as strong as a pauter..gtm rods have been tested up to 350hp per rod and gt motorsports guarantees that the GTM rods will withstand up to 2000hp on the vq application )...or Pauter rods...

Interested in your bias against eagle, is this based on any personal experience on the vq? anything to share that may give us a heads up on something you may have discovered? we have built several motors with eagle rods, they have worked great

-TODD
Old 07-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
We are more than confident using the eagle rods on 550-600rwhp applications...anything higher, we recommend the GTM rods (light as an eagle, almost as strong as a pauter..gtm rods have been tested up to 350hp per rod and gt motorsports guarantees that the GTM rods will withstand up to 2000hp on the vq application )...or Pauter rods...

Interested in your bias against eagle, is this based on any personal experience on the vq? anything to share that may give us a heads up on something you may have discovered? we have built several motors with eagle rods, they have worked great

-TODD
Nothing meant to offend you, however each shop has personal preferences.We sell and install only the best, and IMO the best is not Eagle rods. Also GT motorsports rods are most likely manufactured by another rod company with years of rod making experience and not in house.But I could be wrong.
Our personal biased with eagle rods are based on our experiences in the GM world as well as with our engine builder.He refuses to use an Eagle rod and also a Cometic head gasket FWIW. Just that every time he used those two products, they failed.
Not saying Eagle rods are not ok rods, but my theory is, if you have the motor out and already apart,spend the few hundred $$$$ on a really superior set of rods like the Corillo H beams or Pauter. Would you not agree that those two rods are superior to the Eagle's that are available for the VQ?
I like to do things once and only once, and use top nothch parts from the start, and would never trust a rod rated at only 400-500hp...
Old 07-04-2006, 07:19 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Not saying Eagle rods are not ok rods, but my theory is, if you have the motor out and already apart,spend the few hundred $$$$ on a really superior set of rods like the Corillo H beams or Pauter. Would you not agree that those two rods are superior to the Eagle's that are available for the VQ?
I like to do things once and only once, and use top nothch parts from the start, and would never trust a rod rated at only 400-500hp...

No worries, not offened...

I agree that a rod like GTM rods are superior to eagle, but for someone who only wants 500-550 whp and never any more would be fine with eagle, we have all heard this arguement several times, 4 cylinder hondas making 800+whp...it would be more than safe to say that the eagle rods can handle over 150hp per rod (900 flywheel--not sure I'd like to be the first guy to test this high of a power number though )

Sam can chime in about the manufacturing of their rods...

-TODD

Last edited by 350zDCalb; 07-04-2006 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Goerge@GTMotors

Nothing meant to offend you, however each shop has personal preferences.We sell and install only the best, and IMO the best is not Eagle rods. Also GT motorsports rods are most likely manufactured by another rod company with years of rod making experience and not in house.But I could be wrong.
Our personal biased with eagle rods are based on our experiences in the GM world as well as with our engine builder.He refuses to use an Eagle rod and also a Cometic head gasket FWIW. Just that every time he used those two products, they failed.
all GT MOTORSPORTS engine components like our billet rods and billet crankshaft are manufactured in house .not by an outside company .it took five years of hard work and planning not to mention the expense and the amount of investment involve of such venture, to be able to manufacture our billet rods and crankshafts . also we are very exited to release our new billet vq35de crankshaft in the next two weeks .

Sam

GT MOTORSPORTS

Last edited by Goerge@GTMotors; 07-04-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

GTM (Sam) co-owns a company in AU that manufactures the rods for sale in the USA. It's not outsourced to a generic rod manufacturer.

To this day, nobody has shown me one VQ35 forged motor that experienced rod failure. Eagle, Pauter, Carillo all have performed well. I think Todd brings up a good point, in that some customers are looking for a reasonable priced 500whp experience. In which case, there is no need to spend additional funds on fancy headwork, expensive rods, cams, and all the labor involved. Eagle rods will work just fine. Because the piston actually takes the brunt of the abuse, we almost always use the Extreme Duty Arias pistons, since they have proven practically unbreakable.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

GTM (Sam) co-owns a company in AU that manufactures the rods for sale in the USA. It's not outsourced to a generic rod manufacturer.

To this day, nobody has shown me one VQ35 forged motor that experienced rod failure. Eagle, Pauter, Carillo all have performed well. I think Todd brings up a good point, in that some customers are looking for a reasonable priced 500whp experience. In which case, there is no need to spend additional funds on fancy headwork, expensive rods, cams, and all the labor involved. Eagle rods will work just fine. Because the piston actually takes the brunt of the abuse, we almost always use the Extreme Duty Arias pistons, since they have proven practically unbreakable.
Actually the rod takes a pretty good beating with all the reciprocating force involved in swinging the weight of the piston around at 7000rpms FYI. If the rod is not strong enough it can stretch or break and we all know what that looks like. So I would not want to put a rod that is near its limit at 500whp in motor build of mine or my customers,just my opinion.I know you guys will debate this as a pair as you always seem to back one another up for obvious business reasons. However do not pass the illusion to your customers that saving $300-400 on a set of rods on an already costly motor build is the smart thing to do when your already spending over $1000 on an unbreakable piston, why skimp on the rod?
It just does not make much sence to me both as a shop and as an enthusiest to try and cut corners with an "Economical" rod....Its just plain stupid IMO.

Quick Reply: JE Pistons gone bad...