Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

*Blew My Motor*

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ohhh man.. that sucks... sorry to hear about that dude-

good luck with the repairs/rebuild.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:05 AM
bigbri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that man....I've been through it and wish you the best of luck.... You'll be back built with more power and faster 1/4 mle times before you know it...Give Todd at built z motors a call or Sharif they will hook you up...

Last edited by bigbri; 06-19-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:08 AM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

Damn man, I'm sorry to hear that. My car goes into the shop for a turbonetics install this week and after reading JETS and your posts about blown motors I'm really starting to get nervous. Almost to the point that I dont want to do it anymore

Derek
Old 06-19-2006, 10:10 AM
VN_350z
Banned

Alberto,

You are my hero...Your N/A car was pretty good enough. I was suprised you went for TN. Damn...i'll never put turbo on Z..maybe stillen supercharger. Why Z engine has to suck w/ turbo ?

Please let us know each step of your engine restoration...so we can learn.
Man, it's gonna cost you ton of money just for rebuilding the engine.

Wat's your plan?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Blayzed

Oh $h!t. Sorry to hear about that , I've been lurking for years and don't post much but I follow everything that goes on on these boards. Gluck with everything, hope it all goes well.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 AM
bigbri

Originally Posted by DJ SMITTY
Damn man, I'm sorry to hear that. My car goes into the shop for a turbonetics install this week and after reading JETS and your posts about blown motors I'm really starting to get nervous. Almost to the point that I dont want to do it anymore

Derek
Run some w/a injection and you'll be fine....I think anyone on a stock block should run w/a injection my car ran 6000 HARD miles at 550whp on a stock block unill I over reved it to 9000rpms and cracked everthing then it gave way...If I wouldn't have overreved it would still be running today..
Old 06-19-2006, 10:14 AM
lex350

Very sorry to hear this. I've always liked reading your post about the TN kit and your track runs. Thanks for sharing this info with us because this will help everyone in the long run. GL
Old 06-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I havent finalized my plan but many people have been kind enough to offer good help with a rebuild. Ill post info as I know and make decisions...
Old 06-19-2006, 10:21 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, hope you're able to get the car back on it's feet soon - sorry to hear.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:23 AM
gnxs

Originally Posted by Alberto
Thanks guys...Im a little upset Ill never get the chance ot better my 1/4 times as I had another .2 in the set up. Worst part isnt that it happened, I ws almost expecting it, I just wanted to make it through the summer you know, now my summer is likely ruined....we'll see though I have options and Im looking into whats best. For now, likely do a block, cams, and max the turbo. Should be around 500whp, we don treally know as its only been done by AAM on Modified's car and that was without cams, I may do headwork. Later Ill get serious and do a larger snail and so on...with nearly 500whp, Ill be needing a cage to run down the 1/4

Also-this post wasnt intended to put down TN or AAM or anybody. Many know I shared my install and experiences with everybody-I dont blame anybody for this its just a risk we FI Z owners take. Some guys last 30K miles some last 3K....just a reminder even if you do everything right, you can still have issues.
Sorry to hear.

Like you said, it's an opportunity to build it better/stronger, but it sucks it happened just as Summer is rolling in.

As we both know, you need to be aware of and prepared for a catastrophic failure when you're nearly doubling the factory designed output of your motor. I'm hoping to get through one more Summer before having to build a shortblock.

Good luck with your future setup.

Last edited by gnxs; 06-19-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by gnxs
but it sucks it happened just as Summer is rolling in.

Good luck with your future setup.
Thats what sucks the most-I seem to have a bad history of car troubles right before the summer Thanks...my only goal now is to have it out by late September, early October to set some record ST 1/4 runs
Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Ep3

Fack bro im sorry to hear & good luck with your build
Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Dude it is a sad day in the Z FI community! Sorry to hear that bro!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:34 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I will have a couple of drinks tonight in sympathy.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:36 AM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Keep us posted as to what went wrong. I don't see how anyone can blame the TN kit for this. In fact, most of the recent blown motors had very well sorted tunes and extra precautions to increase safety.

The thing that really sucks is why are these well tuned motors blowing up? Everytime I seriously consider going FI, another car blows up for no apparent reason.

Good luck with your rebuild.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:38 AM
MIAPLAYA

Alberto,
What can I say that hasn't already been said. It was REALLY rough hearing about this. I know you did everything right. Utec, return system, HKS DLI, Good safe tune, the works. If theres anything I can help with from my end feel free to drop me a line and I'll do my best to help out. At least you had some good times with it. I may have lasted 30k miles so far but I don't think theres a person on this board who can say they have ravaged their car as hard as you have
Old 06-19-2006, 10:43 AM
BrianLG35C

So funny (not really), you had almost exactly the same blown motor and towing experience I had posted back in April...

"It happened a few hours ago. I was pulling away from a stoplight (not getting on it all) and all of sudden...BOOM, then I heard various ungodly clanking, and then an oil/coolant trail followed me all the way to a close parking lot, a trail probably at least 1/4 mile long!

Then there was the adventure of trying to get a flatbed in my area to pick up a lowered car with a bodykit. My front bumper is only about 4" off the ground. I thought I might have leave her overnight in this retail store parking lot. Man, what a nightmare! Luckily, I was finally able to find one who would come out and was actually very careful. I had to help lift the front end so they could get her up without scraping."

Good luck with your build!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Sly_Z

I knew it had to be a good reason why you guys didn't show up Friday. That's ****ed up, but you'll be back. Take your time getting it back together.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Alberto,
What can I say that hasn't already been said. It was REALLY rough hearing about this. I know you did everything right. Utec, return system, HKS DLI, Good safe tune, the works. If theres anything I can help with from my end feel free to drop me a line and I'll do my best to help out. At least you had some good times with it. I may have lasted 30k miles so far but I don't think theres a person on this board who can say they have ravaged their car as hard as you have
Ha-I dunno about that. I appreciate the offer you know if I need anything I have your cell phone number. I wish I had more time with it, 3K miles sure went by quick. I wonder how many miles I took off of it at that track day back on May 26th, of well it was worth it, Ill never be the type to drive it like I didnt steal it
Old 06-19-2006, 10:45 AM
z33chillin

Sorry to here that!!! you were my DB 1/4 inspiration!! I'll be looking for you new post w/a monster setup.