Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Stillen Stage 4 high speed fly by

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 05:30 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing how as the majority of the people here have never even tracked their car, suspension is only so important. For most it is having a high powered car that will pull hard on the highway, or trap high in the 1/4mi. Having an all around balanced car is only top priority to the relatively few who do hit the road course.

As for the dyno #s, if it was dynod at Japtrix, I know for a fact that their dyno is a heartbreaker. Very low numbers. If you hit 330whp there, you're making some nice power... Was it at Japtrix?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by taurran
Seeing how as the majority of the people here have never even tracked their car, suspension is only so important. For most it is having a high powered car that will pull hard on the highway, or trap high in the 1/4mi. Having an all around balanced car is only top priority to the relatively few who do hit the road course.
Very true.
My thing is that in the areas where I live there simply is no room to really take advantage of a high-powered motor. The roads where I spend 95% of time the most I was able to comfortably hold on them speedwise is maybe 115-120mph. I went all the way to 150 a couple of times, but it is not something I am comfortable doing on a frequent basis. But there are some decent twists on the highway I take to my second job, so throwing the car around those is a lot of fun.
This video posted may have me convinced. I may settle for the Stillen's stage 2, buy their 3 year warranty and beat the crap out of my car guilt free. Or at least not whine about danger of engine letting go.
I just have to get a bit more details about that warranty of theirs.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:47 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by Oleg
I just have to get a bit more details about that warranty of theirs.
As I recollect it has a cap payout of about $3000. The roots blower has a one year warranty direct from Magnuson. Magnuson DID rebuild my blower twice after bearing failure and when it failed twice they sent me a new one. No problem with the new blower, so I suspect something was just out of alignment or bent on the original blower.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by MulhollandDrive
As I recollect it has a cap payout of about $3000. The roots blower has a one year warranty direct from Magnuson. Magnuson DID rebuild my blower twice after bearing failure and when it failed twice they sent me a new one. No problem with the new blower, so I suspect something was just out of alignment or bent on the original blower.
So the Stillen's warranty for stage 2 setup covers the blower, or the motor as well?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:22 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by Oleg
So the Stillen's warranty for stage 2 setup covers the blower, or the motor as well?
Hmm. My post did not seem to get through. The extra warranty covers the engine but is capped. The blower warranty is a separate deal from Magnuson.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:36 AM
captj3

Originally Posted by taurran

As for the dyno #s, if it was dynod at Japtrix, I know for a fact that their dyno is a heartbreaker. Very low numbers. If you hit 330whp there, you're making some nice power... Was it at Japtrix?
Yes it was at Japtrix. There dyno may be a heart breaker as you say, but when you get numbers from them they are real. They don't play with the settings like some other places. Most people don't even know how shops do that. To quote a shop in south florida (big numbers sell dynos) little numbers don't.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:22 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by captj3
Yes it was at Japtrix. There dyno may be a heart breaker as you say, but when you get numbers from them they are real. They don't play with the settings like some other places. Most people don't even know how shops do that. To quote a shop in south florida (big numbers sell dynos) little numbers don't.
You act as if correction factors are some huge well-kept secret.

Then again some would argue that Mustang dyno numbers "aren't real", but we all know that they read lower than the industry standard Dynojet by design. I'm pretty sure everyone in this forum also understands that dyno numbers aren't intended to be compared between dyos. But unfortunately, those of us with one foot in reality know that people DO compare them as a "ballpark" figure to determine relative power of a car.

Saying that Dynojet numbers are "not real" is just like saying everyone who measures distance in miles, versus kilometers, is "wrong", even though we all have a good idea how they compare relatively.

Load based dynos are excellent tuning tools, and this is why tuners buy them. The fact that one owner might call the other brands "not real" because they produce higher numbers, while at the same time swearing that they are just that - a tuning tool - makes me ...

Let's face it - As long as everyday people build cars for power, people will compare different dyno numbers to gauge the performance of their cars. You know it, so learn to accept it.

Take my previous post for what it's worth, saying that 340whp on that dyno is impressive in comparison to other machines, and please spare me the sermon.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:18 AM
captj3

All dynos have a correction factor it depends on what your correcting. Numbers can be changed to make a car have higher numbers. The best example I saw was Joey Kramers car 420rwhp/520tq. Not at any time did I say dyno jet numbers were phoney. There is your sermon now you can get off the soap box.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:18 AM
TTRANK

Nice vid. I love the sound of mine. When I get on it people always look over like WTF!! Not to mention the wide open mouths of people on the sidewalk when I go by. Way too much fun.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:45 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by captj3
All dynos have a correction factor it depends on what your correcting. Numbers can be changed to make a car have higher numbers. The best example I saw was Joey Kramers car 420rwhp/520tq. Not at any time did I say dyno jet numbers were phoney. There is your sermon now you can get off the soap box.
We know.. everyone her has heard this 1000x. I'm just saying that brining these correction factors up in a thread like this is has been done again and again. There is nothing new about it.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:29 PM
kevinbonds

well i think dyno's are good to track a cars improvement. I think that at times dynojets can show a higher number then the mustang. But if you baseline your car on a dyno jet then you retest it after your mods then thats great. I personally have used both and can say that the mustang tens to give more real world results. I would love to put my Z32 on the dyno at japtrix, when it was dynoed after its tune on a dynojet i pulled almost 380 RWHP which i thought was way high for my mods. As long as you think your car is fast thats all that matters. By the way craig I may be up to see you in a couple weeks got room on the couch?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:31 PM
kevinbonds

hey jeff did you get your wastegates fixed, hows the car running. Give me a call i spoke to my buddy he can get your car in next week to get her all compunded and buffed. Let me know
Old 07-25-2006, 05:13 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by kevinbonds
well i think dyno's are good to track a cars improvement. I think that at times dynojets can show a higher number then the mustang. But if you baseline your car on a dyno jet then you retest it after your mods then thats great. I personally have used both and can say that the mustang tens to give more real world results. I would love to put my Z32 on the dyno at japtrix, when it was dynoed after its tune on a dynojet i pulled almost 380 RWHP which i thought was way high for my mods. As long as you think your car is fast thats all that matters. By the way craig I may be up to see you in a couple weeks got room on the couch?

It's vacant if you need it. Just let me know
Old 07-25-2006, 06:36 PM
captj3

hey jeff did you get your wastegates fixed, hows the car running. Give me a call i spoke to my buddy he can get your car in next week to get her all compunded and buffed. Let me know
PM me with your phone number here or on the club forum. The car goes in tomorrow for the actuators and radiator upgrade. If they have enough time a tune at the end.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:10 PM
kevinbonds

Thanks Craig I will call you this week to catch up. Jeff I will shoot you a pm on sfzcc
Old 07-25-2006, 08:26 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Nice.

I have owned three Stillen Blowers, They sound great. Just can't keep the belts from breaking if you sustain the speeds over 125 MPH for more than 10-20 seconds. You need these speeds if racing road on long straights. Just my experience though...

I have also seen many Stillen blow motors SO DON'T think they are fool proof. OUCH by simply changing the pulley's to Stage 3 yet that is a different story. The kit is at its maximum right now that is for sure.

Handling over POWER
As for suspension, you need the car to be quick, yet at a road course, wheels, tires, brakes, sways, and suspension are the key FIRST.

If you have traction (GRIP), then if mastered, you are fast - Then the more power the better. You are right when most people overlook grip.

Road Racing is all about GRIP.

Good-luck.

M
Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 PM
nateg35

Kevin...what are other mods do you have on your stage4?....Mine was only 325 whp on dynojet. If your 6MT is around 380 whp then I would like my AT to be around 350whp. I recently just added the coolingmist into the system but I don't think this will gain any power, just for extra insurance for this heated summer
Old 07-26-2006, 02:59 AM
wilric44

Nate, which VB do you have. I have a Stage 2 but probaly will drive it for a couple of years before I upgrade. Got to get my 260 dollars for my guarantee. Maybe a year then. I was thinking about doing cams, rods, and pistons. Do you think this will help the Stillen supercharger any?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:40 PM
nateg35

Originally Posted by wilric44
Nate, which VB do you have. I have a Stage 2 but probaly will drive it for a couple of years before I upgrade. Got to get my 260 dollars for my guarantee. Maybe a year then. I was thinking about doing cams, rods, and pistons. Do you think this will help the Stillen supercharger any?
I also have Stillen VB...Not sure if cams, rods & pistons will help the SC though
Old 07-26-2006, 01:35 PM
kevinbonds

I just have all the normal bolt on's. I am not really concerned about the the dyno numbers in fact not sure why i posted them. But I can tell you that I have had the same belt on my car since it was installed about 5,000 hard miles!!!! I did countless laps at sebring and homstead. I was at sebring saturday and saw speeds in excess of 140mph for 10-15 seconds. I did one session of about 7 laps hitting over 130 every time on the back stretch for well over 15 seconds. I was testing out the stage 4 and Honestly i dont think you can beat on a motor any harder then I did. This includes quite a few bounces off the rev limiter since the stage 4 pulls that much harder to redline. I think that the belt is not the issue I believe it to be the tension of the belt. I dont even have one stress crack of fray on my belt. I am no mario andretti but I can get the car around the track and feel as though the stillen runs so well that it feels stock. Next upgrade is oil cooler, and slicks. I really like where my car is at now, and really need to work on my driving cause I know i have more power then alot of cars that I track with, and they always beat my times, simply on there driver skill. There is a track prepped pontiac sunfire with a beefed up four cylinder making 194 HP and this guy eats up the track. I think it will be a while before I can get good enough to need more power. Till then just goin to get as much track time as possible. And If my motors decides to quite on me, i will just get a new one.

Quick Reply: Stillen Stage 4 high speed fly by