Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ok weirdest thing just happen.. tranny related

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 05:28 AM
HoldThisForMe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone else have a lot of trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd??? It feels like the clutch does not release from all the trq when I try to shift. If I shift quicker than just normal driving under boost it will not go into gear. You have to lets say...boost...wait a second...then shift normal...then get back on it. All other gears shift normally under boost when on it hard. Just friggin 1st to 2nd is the prob. Any ideas?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:32 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by HoldThisForMe
Does anyone else have a lot of trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd??? It feels like the clutch does not release from all the trq when I try to shift. If I shift quicker than just normal driving under boost it will not go into gear. You have to lets say...boost...wait a second...then shift normal...then get back on it. All other gears shift normally under boost when on it hard. Just friggin 1st to 2nd is the prob. Any ideas?
Is it a 2003? For some reason Nissan revised the tranny about 5 times in the first model year.The synchros kept going bad on them, me and Jason both went through 3 trannys..I highly doubt the dealer will replace the tranny under warranty with a TT on the car, my dealer wanted to void the entire warranty for a muffler and cold air intake...
Old 08-02-2006, 05:43 AM
HoldThisForMe

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Is it a 2003? For some reason Nissan revised the tranny about 5 times in the first model year.The synchros kept going bad on them, me and Jason both went through 3 trannys..I highly doubt the dealer will replace the tranny under warranty with a TT on the car, my dealer wanted to void the entire warranty for a muffler and cold air intake...
Yeah its an 03 and yeah I have a super strong feeling that if I just washed my car wrong it would void the warranty
Old 08-02-2006, 05:43 AM
SweetDreamZ

oh great...i can see the writing on the wall...

I just took my 03 Z to the dealer b/c it grinds into second and third sometimes and at speed, it'll have trouble going into 5th and 6th sometimes. No grinding on the upper gears...just gets stuck...like i have to double clutch to get it to go in?! So i took it them...got the same exact story. If you shift slower it'll work fine. They even told me to double clutch the upper gears and it'll be fine. They said that the tranny is working just as it should. I told them i have been driving manuals for years, and NEVER had to do anything like this...but according to them...i'm the moron, and all stick shifts require double clutching in the upper gears occasionally? a load of crap imo.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:46 AM
HoldThisForMe

Originally Posted by SweetDreamZ
oh great...i can see the writing on the wall...

I just took my 03 Z to the dealer b/c it grinds into second and third sometimes and at speed, it'll have trouble going into 5th and 6th sometimes. No grinding on the upper gears...just gets stuck...like i have to double clutch to get it to go in?! So i took it them...got the same exact story. If you shift slower it'll work fine. They even told me to double clutch the upper gears and it'll be fine. They said that the tranny is working just as it should. I told them i have been driving manuals for years, and NEVER had to do anything like this...but according to them...i'm the moron, and all stick shifts require double clutching in the upper gears occasionally? a load of crap imo.
That is a big load of wad right there man! Is it under warranty? If so I'd tell em to replace it right now or I will double clutch someones ahole! haha
Old 08-02-2006, 05:51 AM
SweetDreamZ

That is a big load of wad right there man! Is it under warranty? If so I'd tell em to replace it right now or I will double clutch someones ahole! haha

haha...yeah, it's under warranty still...the car only has 19xxx miles on it!!! No way that this should be happening. The thing that sucks is I want to go FI, but don't wanna do that until i get them to replace this under warranty (if i can) b/c as everyone has said, they will screw me over if i go FI...

and by the way...this... ...is hilarious...reminds me of me and my ex...lol
Old 08-02-2006, 06:20 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

There are very FEW mod friendly dealers on the East coast..
Old 08-02-2006, 06:47 AM
BrianLG35C

You can get the syncros for $105 and $103 for both 1-2 & 3-4 shift forks. The shift forks are to repair/resolve the shifter popping or trying to pop out of gear. Obviously a lot less than $1800 for the whole new transmission.

This will be the route I'll take when I get my new clutch installed, since the dealer won't warranty the problem with FI installed.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:24 AM
G352NV

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
You can get the syncros for $105 and $103 for both 1-2 & 3-4 shift forks. The shift forks are to repair/resolve the shifter popping or trying to pop out of gear. Obviously a lot less than $1800 for the whole new transmission.

This will be the route I'll take when I get my new clutch installed, since the dealer won't warranty the problem with FI installed.
Brian what about install? How much to install those parts?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:22 AM
bigbri

Originally Posted by G352NV
Brian what about install? How much to install those parts?
A SHI T LOAD....
Old 08-02-2006, 08:25 AM
HoldThisForMe

Originally Posted by bigbri
A SHI T LOAD....
Figures! never can catch a break these days! lol
Old 08-02-2006, 08:41 AM
G352NV

Well if its a chit load then might as well replace the tranny for 1600.00
Old 08-02-2006, 09:32 AM
BrianLG35C

With my my motor dropped for rebuild and clutch getting replaced as well, I've been quoted around $6-700 for the labor to install the new parts.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:11 AM
HoldThisForMe

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
With my my motor dropped for rebuild and clutch getting replaced as well, I've been quoted around $6-700 for the labor to install the new parts.
hmmm well thats actually not to bad...wonder how much it would be if i dropped my own tranny and took it up to a shop...hmmm...time to make some phone calls
Old 08-09-2006, 11:54 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Update: Car went in last friday, i called them today for an update. The lady in Service said the parts are on order and they should be installing them next week.

Concerns: I put down on the envelope when i dropped it off to fix my Tranny and my Window Regulator

Hopes: I am hoping since i have an extended payed for warranty they just fix it and not give a fck
Old 08-09-2006, 11:55 AM
doug

hmmm well thats actually not to bad...wonder how much it would be if i dropped my own tranny and took it up to a shop...hmmm...time to make some phone calls
I have done a couple transaxle replacements on FWD cars... RWD shouldn't be that hard to do
Old 08-11-2006, 06:12 PM
doug

dealer called me today.. said they can't remove the tranny without taking the turbo's off first and they want to charge me $400..

is that even true? you can't remove the tranny without taking off the greddy turbo's?
Old 08-14-2006, 05:05 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug
I have done a couple transaxle replacements on FWD cars... RWD shouldn't be that hard to do
I'm assuming you mean maximas...and my Z was EASIER than my maxima when I pulled the trans. RWD is very straightforward, and the trans isn't so akwardly weighted.

dealer called me today.. said they can't remove the tranny without taking the turbo's off first and they want to charge me $400..

is that even true? you can't remove the tranny without taking off the greddy turbo's?
I'm pretty sure it's just the wastegates that are in the way. If they remove the wastegates (it's a b*tch) then they should be able to get the trans out without removing the turbos.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:17 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by doug

Bull shat...We bolt the motor to the tranny with the turbos on there..
Old 08-14-2006, 07:06 AM
doug

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Bull shat...We bolt the motor to the tranny with the turbos on there..
I knew they were full of it.. but the fact that they are going to pay for the transmission and cover the tranny labor.. i figured i wouldn't complain.. i figured its their way of saving face... they didn't even argue with me about doing the tranny work

Quick Reply: ok weirdest thing just happen.. tranny related