Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The truth about organic clutches and built motors

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 05:18 PM
k3silk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I find it hard to believe that an RPS 6puck w/ max pressure is failing at 500whp. We've used them in a lot of cars, and havent had any problems at all. If the clutch is slipping on the dyno, there is something else going on. Was the clutch properly broken in? Clutch life is almost entirely dependent on how much you slip it. Lots of slipping to start the car, or lots of slipping when drag racing will destroy any clutch pretty quickly.

The RPS 6 puck with max pressure plate is my favorite non carbon clutch. And is rated at 625ft/lbs flywheel, which seems like a solid 500-525whp to me. Beyond 550whp, you really need a twin or triple disc carbon ATS/Carbonetic.

Has anyone looked at a JWT clutch disc before? Almost completely stock. in fact, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Slightly Stiffer springs are the main difference between a JWT clutch and an OEM clutch. The flywheel is really nice though.
So are you saying that the jwt clutch is just like a stock clutch? cause im debating to get a clutch now or worry about it later i have a 06 with 10k on it and has barley been rag on. I did proper break in and all for the clutch should i keep the stock until it starts to go or buy a jwt clutch and flywheel? cause i really would like to buy some rims after this turbo install.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my stock clutch held 150 shot of nitrous launching at 6000 rpms hitting it right before i launched. that is well into the high 400s tq and barely slipped at all. yes i agree that drag racing will fry a clutch, but even that day i didnt do anything really hard on the clutch and it only went to 3500 rpms making 350hp flooring it at 2800 and then slipped to the rev limiter.

i believe that alan put the RPS 6 puck in, i am not sure any of the other specs of it. i will know really really soon when i yank it out and play frisbee in my yard with it!! hehehe

anyone want to buy and RPS clutch cheap!!>>?????
Old 08-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you find out....let us know if its a 6puck or the sport clutch.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:43 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sharif,

rps makes the 6-puck in both the sport and the max series.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:53 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
I have been running my JWT set up for almost 8K boosted and it has never slipped yet.

+100 on that...I've ragged the living crap out of my JWT setup and it's NEVER slipped. 100+ 4-5K rpm launches on drag radials...street and strip.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:06 PM
RevLimitZ

How are Spec clutches (and flywheels)??? I'm asking because they're located about 20min from my house and I like supporting local companies w/ I can, but I haven't heard much of anything about their quality. Anyone running Spec equipment???
Old 08-03-2006, 02:11 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a lot of SR 20 guys love the spec clutches, i would go talk to them and see if they will hook you up to try their clutch out....

i should have the clutch out really soon, i know its a 6 puck, just not sure what pressure plate is on it, the pedal is pretty stiff but it engages really really streetable... will know soon!!

then i have to break this ATS in, 1000 miles???? i have had the car since october, besides the trip to NC for z dayz, i have under 2000 miles on it, i guess i might break it in by december???
Old 08-03-2006, 05:34 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by QuadCam
sharif,

rps makes the 6-puck in both the sport and the max series.
Ah, well that could explain it. When we use the RPS clutches, we always use the 6puck with max (heavy) pressure plate. This is their super duty clutch.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:57 AM
punish_her

Any one know what the FX600 and FX700's hold (organic twin plate)?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:17 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Just an FYI the ACT Street Disc clutch (what I'm running) is rated at 519 ft/lb by ACT. That being said Turbonetics is running the ACT Street Disc clutch and Prolite flywheel on their Stage 2 G35. So far no issues.
Hey Mia, is that the single disk organic clutch, because i looked on various websites and they say its 450 lb/ft of torque. Just asking.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:52 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
Hey Mia, is that the single disk organic clutch, because i looked on various websites and they say its 450 lb/ft of torque. Just asking.
If that's flywheel torque, it isn't much better than stock.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:56 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the full radius, sprung hub, standard issue ACT is rated at 519 ft lbs of torque at the crank.

But, ACT also offers a 6 puck version, in both sprung and unsprung configurations, that will hold into the 600 ft lbs range at the crank. An excellent alternative for those making good power, but don't want to drop major cash on the twins.

We've also been hearing good things about the SPEC units, but have yet to have a customer try one.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:20 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
Yes its the single disk organic. And yes as Z1 said its rated at 519 Ft/lb at the crank. I haven't had an issue with it yet and neither has Turbonetics on their built motor car. If I do I'll switch to the spuck spring hub model.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:36 AM
taurran

Yes its the single disk organic. And yes as Z1 said its rated at 519 Ft/lb at the crank. I haven't had an issue with it yet and neither has Turbonetics on their built motor car. If I do I'll switch to the spuck spring hub model.
If it's rated at 519ft/lbs at the crank I don't see how it will last long on a built stage 2 motor making 500+whp (and around the same tq specs). I'm just trying to be realistic here in saying that even the most stout organic clutches don't stack up, numbers wise, and are pushing the envelope when it comes to the power a built motor is capable of.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:39 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by taurran
If it's rated at 519ft/lbs at the crank I don't see how it will last long on a built stage 2 motor making 500+whp (and around the same tq specs). I'm just trying to be realistic here in saying that even the most stout organic clutches don't stack up, numbers wise, and are pushing the envelope when it comes to the power a built motor is capable of.
I would tend to believe you except that so far it is holding up. And marluci is running a JWT single disc organic at 600+ WHP with no slip.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:12 AM
taurran

I would tend to believe you except that so far it is holding up. And marluci is running a JWT single disc organic at 600+ WHP with no slip.
You know how that goes... that's the reason for the title of the thread - "truth" about organic clutches and built motors. Unless particular manufacturers underrate their clutches drastically I just don't understand how it's possible. If we find an organic clutch that can hold 700ft/lbs at the crank with proven reliability, then we've accomplished our goal.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

ACT rates theirs plus or minus around 10% - but again, its so down to how you break it in, and how you drive it.

A Stage 5 Spec unit is rated at 725 lb feet. Per Spec: hide

"Types of Driving: Drag, Pulling

For extremely modified drag race and pulling engines, or applications that call for a ‘slipper’ clutch/progressive torque-induced engagement. These clutches are best ordered as custom configured and should be ordered after providing specific information about the car and it’s purpose to a SPEC technical assistant. Not street-friendly due to harsh engagement.

High clamp pressure plate (adjustability available on some applications), rigid iron disc assembly, bearing and tool kit."
Old 08-04-2006, 07:28 AM
taurran

Sounds hard core, but I should have stated that I'm personally looking for a streetable clutch. I think a 6-puck weight/engagement would be about the wildest I'd imagine using.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:37 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

yeah no doubt it is.

FWIW, and this is purely annecdotal, I've got an ACT 6 puck in my Datsun (280ZX). It's "rated" at 512 ft lbs. I'm making 594 whp (I forget the torque off the top of my head - its slightly higher) and it has held just fine. Keep in mind though, I dont drag the car at all, and I think that's why it's lasted. It is completely streetable, not a hard pedal at all, and does not make the car shudder.

For that hp level too, stick with a stock flywheel, as it will be far easier to drive.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:39 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ram makes some awesome street clutches that are extremely underrated.
at one time, they were working on a clutch for the 350z, but I think they put it on hold.

Quick Reply: The truth about organic clutches and built motors