Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 10:24 AM
lucidazn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problems

I have the JWT Clutch/flywheel.

It's been over a 100 degrees here for the past few days and I've been experiencing some weird clutch problems. After some semi-spirited driving, it seems as though my clutch becomes soft and the friction point drops to about an inch from the floor. I heard it is the pressure plate overheating... also when this happens, the clutch doesn't rattle as much anymore (cement mixer sound). Can it also be the throwout bearing?

Should I change anything? What harm can come from driving like this?
Old 08-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by lucidazn
It's been over a 100 degrees here for the past few days and I've been experiencing some weird clutch problems. After some semi-spirited driving, it seems as though my clutch becomes soft and the friction point drops to about an inch from the floor. I heard it is the pressure plate overheating... also when this happens, the clutch doesn't rattle as much anymore (cement mixer sound). Can it also be the throwout bearing?
It has been quite warm here to, and very high humidity (which is tech. normal)... And I have noticed that with my JWT Clutch/Fly it almost feels like what the stock clutch felt like when it was starting to go.

Similiar softer feeling like you, and engagement is higher then before. Also shifting into the gears were more notchy... Just wasn't happy about the feel.

And since it has been feeling like this I didn't race last night (local 1/8th mile), oh and along with there isn't many miles on the set-up... Just installed a couple of months ago.

And funny that driving early this morning when the temps are round 75 degrees, tranny was feeling more like before and shifting was smoother.

So I am guessing heat is or can be a factor
Old 08-05-2006, 10:40 AM
BawlZTT

Have you installed a SS clutch line? If not, it could just be your stock rubber line expanding with the high heat while/after spirited driving.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:42 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lucidazn

I experienced this with my stock clutch. If you haven't already, I strongly recommend replacing the stock clutch line with a stainless line. That will help tremendously. The fact that it's hot outside on top of the piping for the Tnetics kit being in such close proximity to this line is just adding insult to injury.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:52 AM
lucidazn

Where can I find a SS clutch line?
Old 08-05-2006, 06:15 PM
craigo'sznprgrs

Originally Posted by BawlZTT
Have you installed a SS clutch line? If not, it could just be your stock rubber line expanding with the high heat while/after spirited driving.

I know this feeling very very well, thought I lost my tranny when I boiled my clutch fluid. After installing the ss clutch line, no issues what so ever and even with spirited driving and 95+ degree temps, my JWT still feels very strong.

OH and you can get SS lines almost anywhere, relatively cheap--$20-$40 shipped.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:55 PM
BawlZTT

try www.importpartspro.com. Owners name is Kyle and he is a well respected member of the Z community. Spend the $40, the $20 lines tend to come apart.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:04 PM
trey.hutcheson

So, where exactly is Almost Anywhere? Stillen doesn't sell them, neither does mynismo or everythingg35.

I just began experiencing this issue last week, the day my clutch was put in. Why do I experience it with my aftermarket clutch/fly and not with the stock configuration?
Old 08-05-2006, 07:06 PM
trey.hutcheson

Originally Posted by BawlZTT
try www.importpartspro.com. Owners name is Kyle and he is a well respected member of the Z community. Spend the $40, the $20 lines tend to come apart.
Thanks for the link.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:18 PM
tig488

there or sgp,