Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

turbo or supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006 | 09:09 AM
doug

why is this even a debate... was there really a comparison..

S/C's are for people who (a) live in cali (b) are misinformed or (c) can't afford a turbo setup

/thread
Old 08-07-2006 | 09:13 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Ouch
Old 08-07-2006 | 09:56 AM
jpc350z

Originally Posted by doug

S/C's are for people who (a) live in cali (b) are misinformed or (c) can't afford a turbo setup

/thread
Comparison Smoparison
(a) I dont live in cali
(b) I'm well informed
(c.)I can afford a turbo set-up

For my driving needs and pleasure I find my S/C perfectly suited to meet these needs..Simple as that..
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:14 AM
doug

Originally Posted by jpc350z
For my driving needs and pleasure I find my S/C perfectly suited to meet these needs..Simple as that..

oh yeah? what driving needs is that?
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:25 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

why is this even a debate...
it is a debate because both make power though in different ways. You have ST's that create say 8-9 lbs boost really quick then proceed to hold it to redline vs a centrifugal SC that starts out with more boost and slowly builds it up to something more like 10-12 lbs of boost.

I'm coming at this from the approach that the ST's come out of the box with 8 lbs of boost and a vortech does too. Since MOST people change out their exhaust/cats that helps build power, but in the case of the ST that also increases boost and spool up speed. To increase boost and spooling speed on a SC you need to change the pulley.

So for someone to add more boost to their ST, they change their exhaust/cats and get a boost controller or make some adjustments to the tuning in most cases. That might bring them up to 9-11 lbs of boost that spools up fast and holds it to redline.

The case of the vortech you can change exhaust/headers/cats and the pulley to increase boost. You can change to the 2.62 pulley and with an open exhaust, but it's safe to say that with a full exhaust and 2.62 pulley, you can run what'd be the power equivalent to 13-14 psi at redline vs the ST's 9-11 psi, but the turbo will still have more midrange power because of how constant the boost pressure is regulated and generated

it gets more complicated cause the SC boost numbers are not truely interchangeable with turbos since SC's don't have wastegates

point is though that when you fully mod a stock ST and stock SC blower to it's peak ability, the SC will have more power in the upper powerband but the ST will have quite a bit more torque in the midrange - probably a fairly huge amount actually. Some people don't want the big midrange torque on a stock engine for reasons like they might not want to run drag radials and would rather just floor the gas and not have to worry about feathering the clutch. Other reasons might be the torque popping motors

was there really a comparison..

good job there.

see post #16 in this thread

Last edited by sentry65; 08-07-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:30 AM
doug

Originally Posted by sentry65
it is a debate because both make power though in different ways. You have ST's that create say 8-9 lbs boost really quick then proceed to hold it to redline vs a centrifugal SC that starts out with more boost and slowly builds it up to something more like 10-12 lbs of boost.

I'm coming at this from the approach that the ST's come out of the box with 8 lbs of boost and a vortech does too. Since MOST people change out their exhaust/cats that helps build power, but in the case of the ST that also increases boost and spool up speed. To increase boost and spooling speed on a SC you need to change the pulley.

So for someone to add more boost to their ST, they change their exhaust/cats and get a boost controller or make some adjustments to the tuning in most cases. That might bring them up to 9-11 lbs of boost that spools up fast and holds it to redline.

The case of the vortech you can change exhaust/headers/cats and the pulley to increase boost. You can change to the 2.62 pulley and with an open exhaust, but it's safe to say that with a full exhaust and 2.62 pulley, you can run what'd be the power equivalent to 13-14 psi at redline vs the ST's 9-11 psi, but the turbo will still have more midrange power because of how constant the boost pressure is regulated and generated

it gets more complicated cause the SC boost numbers are not truely interchangeable with turbos since SC's don't have wastegates
thats really nice and all.. but i don't own a ST
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:36 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

did I say you do?

your sig says you have a pop charger...

if you're referencing that you might have a TT then that's cool, good for you and your high horse.

Honestly the only reason I see for it is the huge upgradablility of them and the slightly faster spooling. And IMO I'm not convinced huge power on this car actually has much benefit other than highway runs or running drag radials or slicks to maaaaybe break into the high 10's on race tires with 600whp which when you consider the entire car universe, is kinda pathetic - LS1 people will tell you so.

And yes I could afford a TT if I so chose. I could afford a porsche GT3 or viper but don't think they're worth the price tag

Last edited by sentry65; 08-07-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:42 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Sentry you make it sound like the S/C would pull harder up top than a turbo. Regardless of the TQ loss you so speak of on a ST up top, go race one with simillar or slightly less WHP than you from a 3rd gear roll and see what happens. Or go to the track and go trap really high, get back to us when you speak from experience and not theory or dyno chart racing. Top end power wise, given fairly equal numbers Turbo > S/C
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:48 AM
doug

Didn't the video of the TN Z, APS TT Z and SC Z racing those domestics put all the answers in place? the SC Z was signficantly slower than all the other cars.. and it was putting out more whp than the TN Z..

again.. why is this even a debate
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:48 AM
kevinbonds

Default Hmm I keep sinking

/thread
A) Live In Florida
B) Pretty Informed
C) Well I got a big welfare check so I can afford it.
D) You dont know jack!

Yup I think i will take D!
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:49 AM
doug

Originally Posted by sentry65
did I say you do?

your sig says you have a pop charger...

if you're referencing that you might have a TT then that's cool, good for you and your high horse.

Honestly the only reason I see for it is the huge upgradablility of them and the slightly faster spooling. And IMO I'm not convinced huge power on this car actually has much benefit other than highway runs or running drag radials or slicks to maaaaybe break into the high 10's on race tires with 600whp which when you consider the entire car universe, is kinda pathetic - LS1 people will tell you so.

And yes I could afford a TT if I so chose. I could afford a porsche GT3 or viper but don't think they're worth the price tag
you can sit your own high horse, because you spent all that money doing stuff to your SC Kit and you have the same whp as a stock APS TT Kit with less torque than any turbo kit with the 50 whp less than you do.
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:50 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Alberto
Sentry you make it sound like the S/C would pull harder up top than a turbo. Regardless of the TQ loss you so speak of on a ST up top, go race one with simillar or slightly less WHP than you from a 3rd gear roll and see what happens. Or go to the track and go trap really high, get back to us when you speak from experience and not theory or dyno chart racing. Top end power wise, given fairly equal numbers Turbo > S/C
i plan on it when my car is finished and it cools down some. 110 degree weather doesn't lead to any fast times at all

I really do think turbos ARE better in the top end when we're talking equal whp cars, but in the world of the Z with the two paths presented to you - a fully modded vortech or a fully modded ST it isn't so perfectly equal

I consider my 440whp vortech to be roughly equal to a 400whp ST car for the most part - win/lose different tests. But then again I have so many other things done than just power output mods, who knows

I know when I'm finished with my car with the 2.87 pulley and high flow cats and nismo exhaust I'll be around 460whp. If I switched to the 2.62 pulley, test pipes and dual 2.5 inch exhaust, I'm confident that 500whp would be possible.

who has the highest ST numbers and what are they? Sooner or later the fact that a ST uses one exhaust pipe is going to come into play where the SC setup has a fully open dual exhaust setup

and we can say how the TN kit can upgrade the blower, but then I'll just say the vortech can upgrade to the T-trim blower.

Last edited by sentry65; 08-07-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:51 AM
doug

Originally Posted by kevinbonds
A) Live In Florida
B) Pretty Informed
C) Well I got a big welfare check so I can afford it.
D) You dont know jack!

Yup I think i will take D!
keep trying to save face... other than the 3 reasons i stated.. i have not seen one solid reason why anyone would choose a SC over Turbo Kit..

Sentry can read numbers off all he wants.. i still don't see a solid reason
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:54 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Lets not get into "if I upgrade vs if you do blah blah" thats really out of context. Sentry go get a damn track baseline and then post about your superior power under 2500 and above 5000rpm's. The times in my sig were run in 90 degree heat your not far off. And I expect great times from you as you have no issues launching your S/C because of how "linear" it builds power.

BTW-did the d!ckhead above just say he got a welfare check to pay for his kit!? WTF
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:55 AM
doug

Originally Posted by Alberto
BTW-did the d!ckhead above just say he got a welfare check to pay for his kit!? WTF

he is being sarcastic..

in any light..

i want to pose a question to Sentry and Kevin ..

simple question... don't write me a book about BS Stats and all that..

Why did you choose a supercharger kit over a turbo kit?
Old 08-07-2006 | 11:00 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

LOL oh ok-Kevin you scared me for 1 sec! I wont join the why choose a S/C debate, as I can understand why you would want to run one over a turbo.

*Linear power
*Lower TQ on stock block-potetially helpful to rods
*Not looking for crazy power, or turbo surge in midrange-for your road racers and auto x's. <---not saying you cant control a turbo car, but I can see the point
Old 08-07-2006 | 11:03 AM
kevinbonds

Everyone makes choices. Some like supercharger some like Turbo. Me personally I like both that's why I have so many cars. Personally although I like the turbo set ups, I just dont feel right running them on a stock motor (although most people have no problem) so therefore I cannot justify spending 20K or more for a turbo kit and a built motor. I am happy with my stillen stage 4 that i beat on at the track all the time. Oh and by the way last time i was at sebring Doug, I passed several c5 z06's, and other high dollar exotics. Why? causee they could not drive worth s&%T! So it aint about how much power you got unless all you care about is having your car on utube beating up on other cars from a roll. Me personally i have my car set up for what i like tracking, and to be honest I would be happy in a track prepped miata. The stillen is great at the track, great low end power and so far bulletproof reliability. All things being equal put my car or any other car for that matter against any high powered tt 350z with an amatuer driver and I promise he will get eaten for lunch. Dont get me wrong i love turbo's I have a mint 95 tt that gets the job done as well. You can ask Tauran about that one. And when I feel like driving an NA I take my s4 for a spin, and you know what when my gtr comes in I will enjoy driving that as well. These wellfare check are treating me good!!!
Old 08-07-2006 | 11:06 AM
jpc350z

Driving to church on Sundays and holy days..
Old 08-07-2006 | 11:11 AM
kevinbonds

By the way, I am not getting on the middle of which supercharger is better, which turbos etc. I am simply stating for my purpose the stillen works, to me the car is nothing but a car to fling around the track. Thats it I dont care about dyno numbers, or drag racing or highway racing. I save it for the track, and that what I like. Now I cant say anything about the vortech, ATI etc. I dont know anything about cent-superchargers and to be honest To me they are just gear driven turbo's. Lotsa people like so thats where I come out, but anyone who has gond the forced inducation route has made a big investment. It's like saying you got a corvette because you cant afford a porsche, or ferrari. Well maybe some people want a corvette cause its a corvette. Ok Im done alberto, not on welfare but will be soon these cars are getting expensive.. ha ha
Old 08-07-2006 | 11:24 AM
doug

Originally Posted by jpc350z
Driving to church on Sundays and holy days..
1) your blower is noisy it will alert the whole church congregation
2) you want to drive slow.. don't go WOT or keep it N/A

Quick Reply: turbo or supercharger