Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

turbo or supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006 | 04:11 PM
doug

Originally Posted by sentry65
real quick, what are your complaints about it?

mine aren't a huge deal but they're:

-how they generally don't seem friendly beyond what APS wants you to run them at
-not being able to tune the unichip yourself
-IMO it's kinda a shame there isn't much to look at in the engine bay cause it's all hidden away - though might have it's uses being hidden
-the unichip only has so many capabilities
- the fuel system is a bit half assed, but still better than nothing
I like to think of the APS TT Kit as a well built dell with all the best parts... parts everyone praises because its such a complete kit and it has everything you could possibly need... but then guess what? like computers we buy plextor burners and SATA HDD... people buy other parts for their APS Kits... bigger injectors... different EMU ... different exhausts... BOV's... so in the end.. the most complete kit they paid extra for.. turns out to be a Tuner Kit they bash other kits for being..

I think the APS Kit is a great kit... however why praise it on its completeness if you eventually replace everything on it anyway? that and i don't like the internal wastegates
Old 08-07-2006 | 04:21 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

yeah but they do offer a tuner kit, just need to find an APS dealer to order it from - but yeah I know that didn't come out until later after a bunch of people were already running the full kit trying to get more power out of it

I know it doesn't matter if you already have it but it's like $1300-1500 less

still doesn't change the actuator problem though

Last edited by sentry65; 08-07-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2006 | 04:25 PM
doug

yes but unfortunately people change their APS Full Kits into Tuner kits... which to me is the same as any other turbo kit out there if you start replacing all the parts
Old 08-07-2006 | 04:28 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

yeah but the turbos themselves are different than normal in that they're water cooled so you don't have to babysit the turbos or use a turbo timer when shutting the car down, and don't they spool up a little sooner than your normal turbo that's as big as they are?

They have real cold air intakes, and don't require removing your front bumper permanently or relocating things like the coolant tank and comes with the APS oil pan

I agree though that the kit would work best if you put it on and leave it at that instead of wanting more power
Old 08-07-2006 | 04:34 PM
o snap its eric

sentry is probably the person i will be following and asking about my SC problems when i S/C my car.

S/T is a good alternative over S/C but if one can justify why they need an S/C then i dont see any reason to deture then from getting an S/C. I see a lot of people on this board feeling like S/C route is the work of the devil and that S/T is the way to go. I'm with sentry all the way in getting an S/C simply because of the condition that im dealt with. If i lived anywhere else a S/T would be in my near future but unfortunatly its not. I would like more forum members to see more than just boasting about turbo over S/C but actually look at what is more benifical to the person who is going to purchase it.

S/C vs Turbo.... each as it cons/pros. Lets leave it at that. If there was ever one kit that was perfect in performance wouldnt that kit just monopolize? The TT kit is probabaly as "perfect" as it gets for the Z.
Old 08-07-2006 | 04:58 PM
MERK350Z

Default ok ok ok

ok i guess the question i asked was not as simple as i thought it would be 3 days and there are 5 pages of pure crap to read.

depending on how the car is set up and how hard you drive it something might or might not happen thats a given to the guys who are doubleing the HP in the 500hp or high 4's. ok i expect something to go wrong from an engine thats is suppose to put out only 300 i just want the car to be a little more quick and i dont want to kill the car in a long term what is better single turbo or supercharge i narrow it down to single turbo because i def dont want a twin turbo. this car will not be on a track its just for fun thats all and when i am chillen with my uncles who role in the sl55 and cl600 and least they are not going to rip me a new ******* i will still be behind them but no lost. i dont not want more then 100 engine HP not rearwheel hp
Old 08-07-2006 | 05:07 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

those sl55's and cl600's have like 500 crank hp. They're 1000-1300 lbs heavier though so that negates about 150-180hp unless you're racing them on the highway at high speeds

i'd say either the stillen or turbonetics with the vortech being a distant 3rd place choice.

IMO the vortech is ONLY worthwhile if you're going to push it to higher numbers and change out the pulley at the very least. Otherwise at lower power numbers the stillen and TN kit will give you a lot more power and area under the curve for your money compared to the vortech.

if you go stillen, you probably want a stage 2 or 3

also note the differences in sounds that they make

and hey a big thread full of info and debating is a lot more interesting than 3 people coming in and telling you to "search newbie"

Last edited by sentry65; 08-07-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-07-2006 | 06:07 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Good long a$$ post Sentry, I def can see why you went with a S/C on your Z. Unfortunately I have never ridden in a Vortech car, only centrifigul being an ATI G35C claiming 377whp, although it sure doesnt feel quick, but does sound nice as hell and to date is still in 1 piece
Old 08-07-2006 | 07:01 PM
trefling

Man I was so proud of my procharger when I first got it, I loved the fact I could barely drop in in second while moving and light up the tires. I used to think it was because of the down low rpm boost that blower kinda made and I'm sure it helped a little. But really I think that gives it that torque feel is the fact that you have now with the supercharger so much more spung weight in motion. I'm no math expert by any means but I'm pretty sure that's why I could light up my tires so easily with just a little throttle blip and droping the clutch.

But.....man I'm sorry but a turbo is just so much fun once the car is actually moving. As the previous poster mentioned you can drive around all day in no boost at all, making the car very streetable and easy to drive. But I remember that my Procharger with the high boost pulleys made my car much more difficult to drive and didn't feel as smooth at the higher rpms as my engine does not. Blower are for bigger cars, VQ's (built) really seem to take well to turbo's. Just my opinion of course
Old 08-07-2006 | 07:04 PM
doug

yeah but the turbos themselves are different than normal in that they're water cooled so you don't have to babysit the turbos or use a turbo timer when shutting the car down, and don't they spool up a little sooner than your normal turbo that's as big as they are?
i don't mind sitting for a couple mins while the turbo's cool... but damn them APS turbo's are small...

They have real cold air intakes, and don't require removing your front bumper permanently or relocating things like the coolant tank and comes with the APS oil pan
not really a problem with the front bumper support.. i figure if i get into an accident it won't be 5 mph

I agree though that the kit would work best if you put it on and leave it at that instead of wanting more power
true
Old 08-07-2006 | 07:25 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

Originally Posted by trefling

But.....man I'm sorry but a turbo is just so much fun once the car is actually moving. As the previous poster mentioned you can drive around all day in no boost at all, making the car very streetable and easy to drive. But I remember that my Procharger with the high boost pulleys made my car much more difficult to drive and didn't feel as smooth at the higher rpms as my engine does not. Blower are for bigger cars, VQ's (built) really seem to take well to turbo's. Just my opinion of course
yeah turbos are more fun.

Strange that the smaller pulley made it harder for you to drive. I actually thought it made my car easier to drive and it smoothed out some of the vortech noise too because even at idle the blower is spinning faster which kills off any SC gear noise