Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

2006 Rev-Up Folks...Stillen has released our Supercharger!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 11:06 AM
TTRANK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Fire
There's a thread on 350z tech. A vortech against a stage 4. The stillen won everytime.

Really? Do you happen to have a link?
Old 11-13-2006, 01:58 PM
JMS71585

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres a guy on the 350z tech forum who has the stillen stage 4 and his friend has a recently installed vortech s/c. They have not gone head-to-head yet, the vortech-Z was still working out some adjustments to his s/c.... Im sure off the line stillen will jump, but from a roll, i wonder who would take it??
Old 11-13-2006, 06:25 PM
06Fire

The thread was called Stillen Vs Vortech road test. The third post says they ran together and the vortech couldn't keep up. It says the only time they were close was from a dig. 1st and 2nd gear.

http://www.*********.com/forums/inde...howtopic=21892
Old 11-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Weqster
IMo vortech blows is very na. no area under the curve. a larger roots blower would make stillen head up with the big twin turbo boys... our motors have the torque to make roots s/cing fun!
But they dont offer a larger blower now and likely never will-nice to dream isnt it
Old 11-14-2006, 04:30 AM
TENGAI

+1

Stillen's roots SC is nice for all of the bottom end tq, but a bigger blower just doesn't seem like it's in the works... I'd love to see them come out with a "built motor only" setup and roots style boost in the 12psi range. Then it'd be a different story...
Old 11-14-2006, 09:24 AM
617G

The thread was called Stillen Vs Vortech road test. The third post says they ran together and the vortech couldn't keep up. It says the only time they were close was from a dig. 1st and 2nd gear.

http://www.*********.com/forums/inde...howtopic=21892
I just read the first page of that thread, and am trying to calm myself before I explode. Those guys don't know the first thing about the vortech. The stock 3.33 pulley will be lucky to net you 6.5 lbs of boost, and with the stock Vortech tune, you're looking at low 300's whp. When I got my Vortech first installed, I had it tuned right away and final numbers were about 360/310 at the wheels and I was seeing only 6.5 lbs of boost at redline. Comparing a Stillen Stage 4 to a 3.33 Vortech is rediculous. The vortech guy never got a tune, nor did he get gauges!!! That thread has so much missinformation it makes my head spin. Why doesn't he compare a stage 2 stillen to a stock vortech with a stock tuned SS box? I think he'd be in for quite the surprise. Not to mention the fact that once you reach stage 4, you're done. With vortech, there is plenty of room to grow and it actually responds to mods. That thread should be deleted.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:04 PM
nateg35

Originally Posted by 617G
I just read the first page of that thread, and am trying to calm myself before I explode. Those guys don't know the first thing about the vortech. The stock 3.33 pulley will be lucky to net you 6.5 lbs of boost, and with the stock Vortech tune, you're looking at low 300's whp. When I got my Vortech first installed, I had it tuned right away and final numbers were about 360/310 at the wheels and I was seeing only 6.5 lbs of boost at redline. Comparing a Stillen Stage 4 to a 3.33 Vortech is rediculous. The vortech guy never got a tune, nor did he get gauges!!! That thread has so much missinformation it makes my head spin. Why doesn't he compare a stage 2 stillen to a stock vortech with a stock tuned SS box? I think he'd be in for quite the surprise. Not to mention the fact that once you reach stage 4, you're done. With vortech, there is plenty of room to grow and it actually responds to mods. That thread should be deleted.

+100000000
Old 11-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Mid117

how about a twin screw
Old 11-14-2006, 02:25 PM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by Mid117
how about a twin screw
You mean like the Democrats winning the House and Senate?

Sorry, I had to.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:35 PM
06Fire

If you don't like the results of that comparison that's fine. I was just answering a question. Has any stage stillen kit been directly compared to a vortech kit. That's the only thread I've seen where both kits were raced together. I work at a dealer that does install both kits and we have contacted both manufactures about who wins in a drag race. Meaning both cars are stock with out of the box tune. Both manufacture came up with the same answers.

Stillen S2 Vs Vortech = Vortech
Stillen S3 Vs Vortech = Drivers race
Stillen S4 Vs vortech = Stillen

I'm not sure if this is true, so any info you have would be appreciated
Old 11-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Blue_Z

for those of you who don't like stillen's hoods maybe there's the possibility of using the OEM hood from the '07 Z's?
would be a perfect color match and would look "stock-like", wonder how much they would cost.. hmm..
Old 11-15-2006, 07:53 AM
617G

If you don't like the results of that comparison that's fine. I was just answering a question. Has any stage stillen kit been directly compared to a vortech kit. That's the only thread I've seen where both kits were raced together. I work at a dealer that does install both kits and we have contacted both manufactures about who wins in a drag race. Meaning both cars are stock with out of the box tune. Both manufacture came up with the same answers.

Stillen S2 Vs Vortech = Vortech
Stillen S3 Vs Vortech = Drivers race
Stillen S4 Vs vortech = Stillen

I'm not sure if this is true, so any info you have would be appreciated
That sounds about right. What I didn't like was the bashing that the vortech received from people in the other forum because they did not understand that an out of the box vortech is very conservative, very rich and a generic tune should not be run on any car. It doesn't matter if the tune is supposed to be safe. Every car is different. The fact that that guy ran the vortech out of the box, didn't tune the SS box properly boggles my mind. Why would you do that?? Not to mention, the guy doesn't have any gauges so he doesn't know what's going on. He doesn't know his A/F or if he has a boost leak, or even how much boost he has. The stillen guy is comparing his stage 4 to an 8psi vortech when that vortech probably is making 6 psi. I could go on and on, but the fact of the matter is that the comparison has so many different variables in it, that it's not a valid comparison. Do I believe the stillen guy won? Sure. Do I think that vortech is running the way it should? Hell no. With a proper tune, that vortech will pull on the stage 4 stillen all day, and with a 3.12 pulley...forget about it. Like someone said, "stillen...don't waste your gas."

Disclaimer - I am not bashing the stillen, but merely stating facts. I think the stillen has its advantages, but high power and highway pulls are not one of them.

One more thing, the Stillen comes tuned very well and the SS box is locked so it cannot be tuned anymore. On the other hand, the Vortech comes with a base map that needs to be altered to suite the car. Comparing a stage 4 stillen to a generic out of the box vortech tune is ludicrous. And, like I said previously, the vortech guy should have his SS box tuned properly, get some gauges and then go walk the stillen

Here is my dyno with a stock 3.33 pulley and a proper tune. Car is completey stock otherwise:

Last edited by 617G; 11-15-2006 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:42 AM
dutchboy

That's a great looking torque curve for a Vortec car. Nice.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:49 AM
JMS71585

Those are some nice torque numbers....

I have to agree with you 617G, the race that was done was an unfair comparison of the two setups. I have read that thread on the other forum and knew myself that its a bad example of the two kits head-to-head. Thats why i asked my question on this thread, (which one would prevail - 40mph launch, from a dig, and from a 60mph launch).

i was looking to compare a stage 4 stillen, to a vortech with the 3.12" pulley, and breathing bolt-ons (HF cats, headers, exhaust, plenum spacer, etc.)
Old 11-15-2006, 10:59 AM
617G

Originally Posted by JMS71585
Those are some nice torque numbers....

I have to agree with you 617G, the race that was done was an unfair comparison of the two setups. I have read that thread on the other forum and knew myself that its a bad example of the two kits head-to-head. Thats why i asked my question on this thread, (which one would prevail - 40mph launch, from a dig, and from a 60mph launch).

i was looking to compare a stage 4 stillen, to a vortech with the 3.12" pulley, and breathing bolt-ons (HF cats, headers, exhaust, plenum spacer, etc.)
From what I've seen a 3.12 pulley yields ~400whp and ~340tq. I am currently in the process of installing a 3.12 pulley, 550cc injectors, walbro, and a greddy emanage ultimate. Look out for my dyno sometime this weekend. One thing to consider is that the pulley size does not always determine boost. With the colder temps, people are seeing upwards of 10lbs with the 3.12 pulley. Breathing mods will of course increase power, but reduce boost at the same time.

Unfortunately I have not seen any threads regarding a stage 4 vs a 3.12 vortech, but looking purely at the numbers, the vortech has the stillen beat hands down from any roll and will still win from a dig.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:08 AM
ANXIOUZ

What I like about the Stillen/Vortech comparison is that it shows that the Stillen can hang in there under certain conditions. Everybody beats the Stillen SC down because it's not hitting 400whp and it costs so damn much. But it's a good fit for certain people.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:12 AM
617G

Originally Posted by ANXIOUZ
What I like about the Stillen/Vortech comparison is that it shows that the Stillen can hang in there under certain conditions. Everybody beats the Stillen SC down because it's not hitting 400whp and it costs so damn much. But it's a good fit for certain people.
Not to bash the stillen, but it can only hang from a dig, and not for long. It's great from stoplight to stoplight, but on the highway it falls flat on its face.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:12 AM
sentry65
the burninator

I think the stillen is a great kit for daily driving. Nothing like having tons of torque just off of idle that reacts to you instantly. It's great for people who don't really want to rev all the way to redline and attract cops being loud to get their car to move fast and be reactive. Generally in all out racing, I think a stage 3 or 4 stillen can hang with a all out tuned 3.33 pulley vortech with some basic bolt ons, but IMO a bone stock vortech with no tune and no bolt ons will be slower than a stage 3 or 4 stillen SC every time.

The 3.33 pulley is just way too weak on the vortech. I can see why people would put the stock vortech kit on and not be impressed. It almost does nothing at all until around 5000 rpms and even then it isn't super huge. But goes to show you that the 3.33 pulley was in fact designed around a bone stock car that isn't capable of getting the air out as well as aftermarket bolt on's

I've seen this one certain stillen stage 4 dyno that was pretty high.

At 2500 rpms the stage 4 stillen car had around 30 tq more than my vortech car.

At 3500 rpms, it's about equal with tq.

After 3500 rpms I climb in tq and the stillen's tq drops making a difference in around 105 tq at about 6000 rpms in favor to my car

That was the highest powered stage 4 I've seen. Most other stillen stage 4 dynos I've seem to make about 10-30 tq less than that one across the board than that one - but maybe that particular dyno just read really high. I mean, it's hard to compare dynos, but the truth is somewhere in there

Last edited by sentry65; 11-15-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:21 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Not to bash the stillen, but it can only hang from a dig, and not for long. It's great from stoplight to stoplight, but on the highway it falls flat on its face.
i agree with you on this,the stillen is awesome stop light to stop light.not much will beat it but when the upper rpm,s come into play its like you hit a brick wall.im still hoping vrt is still working on a whipple design blower,if they make it work with most of the stillen kit, it would solve the problems with the stillen being maxed out and dead on the top end.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:37 PM
1G-350Z

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
eh almost a 100 whp gain, i'd wait for carb cert from jwt or an 06 TN kit..
VQ We have the ability to do JWT TT kits on the Rev Up Motor...

Quick Reply: 2006 Rev-Up Folks...Stillen has released our Supercharger!