Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Ed Dowell at Brainstorm Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:53 PM
MrFurioso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ed Dowell at Brainstorm Performance

Anybody's FI set up installed by Ed Dowell at Brainstorm Performance? I am soon going to him for my APS ST install and tune. If you had it done by him please provide some feedback. Thanks a bunch.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:05 PM
buffmanjeff

I've actually talked to him in person when i picked up my APS exhaust from BSP. They are phenominal in the subaru community from what i hear, try subaru forums.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:09 PM
narkotic

That guy is a genius.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:21 PM
mrtomcat

Ed is a genious

he did all my installs and tuning, no flaw and let's face it I had 475whp on a stock block with hundreds of trips to the drag strip for over 20000 miles....

He knows what he's doing
Old 08-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Orlando333

He installed and tuned my APS ST on my car. He knows his stuff and will not release the car until he is happy with it.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:55 AM
sbcbaseball

Originally Posted by Orlando333
He installed and tuned my APS ST on my car. He knows his stuff and will not release the car until he is happy with it.

I wish the last part of your statement was true. Eventually my car was tuned correctly(3 trips later). Im currently resolving some other issues so based on how they come through i will post.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:15 AM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by sbcbaseball
I wish the last part of your statement was true. Eventually my car was tuned correctly(3 trips later). Im currently resolving some other issues so based on how they come through i will post.
I never had that experience. Ed is incredibly thorough
Old 08-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Orlando333

sbcbaseball -- My experience has been to the contrary. He knows the unichip and has done a great job with my car.

If you did not have a good experience with Ed, then why go back.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:06 PM
sbcbaseball

Well i wouldnt of gone back if they offered my $$$ back.(but obviously i didnt have that option)...guys dont get me wrong the reason i went to ED is because i was recommended by a buddy of mine that has had work done on his car. My situtaion was waaay different. My buddy was even surprised on how my car was tuned. I am really surprised my engine didnt blow! Lets just say that ED did finally tune it correctly.Everyone shares there experience and this is mine. Now this is my second 350z so im not a newb and i know the good shops and bad shops here in socal. All im saying is that everyone can make mistakes but its the good shops that fix it! and dont make excuses.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:18 PM
MrFurioso

Originally Posted by Orlando333
Orlando, what numbers did you get on your car? I just got my car back today and the dyno read 336 whp. I was surprised it was so low, especially since i have aps plenum AND my borla true dual exhaust. I thought the APS website claimed the base map would produce 360 to 380 whp and when i told this information to Ed, he told me that number was at the engine. When i drove my car home and checked again i was right. The 360 to 380 was at the wheel. So why was my car so low in power? He installed and tuned it personally. By the way, the black Z in the showroom has only 310 whp or so, according to Hector(front desk).
Old 09-13-2006, 09:32 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by sbcbaseball
All im saying is that everyone can make mistakes but its the good shops that fix it! and dont make excuses.
that's not Ed's call that's managements call and they just had some major changes in they way handle business
Old 09-13-2006, 09:34 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by MrFurioso
Orlando, what numbers did you get on your car? I just got my car back today and the dyno read 336 whp. I was surprised it was so low, especially since i have aps plenum AND my borla true dual exhaust. I thought the APS website claimed the base map would produce 360 to 380 whp and when i told this information to Ed, he told me that number was at the engine. When i drove my car home and checked again i was right. The 360 to 380 was at the wheel. So why was my car so low in power? He installed and tuned it personally. By the way, the black Z in the showroom has only 310 whp or so, according to Hector(front desk).
remember that the dynamic dynos show the lowest number of all dynos but are very true to real street driving. If you add 13% you'll get the number a dynojet would show = 380whp which is what your friend has
Old 09-13-2006, 09:38 PM
MrFurioso

But on APS's website where they claim 360 - 380whp is on Dynamometer too. I dont see how Ed can end up with such a low number. I have to call Brainstorm tomorrow to find out more about it. Here's my dyno sheets. By the way, the torque numbers at the wheels were all messed up. I dont know why.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:28 PM
mrtomcat

their dynos are on 94 octane fuel, big difference between cali 91 fuel...
Also they are running the APS exhaust, not sure if you are or not but that thing makes some very good power
Not trying to make excuses for them just pointing out some possibilities

oh and the torque on that dyno always looks way off, based on that I had over 900lbs torque
Old 09-13-2006, 10:49 PM
MrFurioso

Now that you've mentioned it, i do remember it's dynoed on 94 octane and with an aps exhaust. Hmmm....so with 91 octane, and aps plenum and my borla exhaust as my mods, i'm only hitting 336 whp huh? Why is it that the black Z at the Brainstorm showroom only has 310whp? That car has an APS ST with an APS exhaust. Oh my brain is a mess....i'm gonna get some sleep and call them to make sure tomorrow. By the way, even if my whp is correct i am still not happy with the dyno reading of my wheel torque. He has to get that thing fixed seriously.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:59 PM
mrtomcat

he can give you a printout that shows the numbers corrected.

Most important thing is Does the car feel good, dyno numbers are just numbers the driving experience is what counts
Old 09-13-2006, 11:09 PM
MrFurioso

The car feels great actually. I was just a bit surprised about my dyno numbers. I did talk to Ed face to face briefly about the car today and before that he read the whp numbers to me over the phone. I will find out further more about it tomorrow and also on my torque reading. Thanks for the replies mrtomcat.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:43 PM
buffmanjeff

Originally Posted by MrFurioso
The car feels great actually. I was just a bit surprised about my dyno numbers. I did talk to Ed face to face briefly about the car today and before that he read the whp numbers to me over the phone. I will find out further more about it tomorrow and also on my torque reading. Thanks for the replies mrtomcat.
The are just numbers. Any dyno can be set to give off any numbers you want it to actually, would you have been happier if he told you you made 500 hp and the car felt the way it is now?
Old 09-14-2006, 04:59 AM
EM-EFER

Go to another dyno... Like said above.. Dynos vary. Is your boost holding a steady 9psi all the way through RPM's?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:50 AM
MrFurioso

Yes numbers are just numbers. I know if i go to another dyno i can get a bit higher numbers than usual. But my previous goal to install the APS ST with APS plenum and exhaust system was to obtain 400whp. I wanted the car to be 400whp. I didn't want it to be 380 or 390. When i got the car back i was just concerned why my numbers were as low as 340. Shouldn't the kit AT LEAST produce up to the claims stated in their website? (360 to 380whp). Anyways, i didn't realize like i said in my previous post that the 360 to 380 whp was with 94 octane and APS exhaust. So that definitely made a difference. With that said, i also told Ed to tune my car to the max power but at the same time to be somewhat safe and reliable. I guess i thought to myself my goal of getting 400whp would be how Ed would tune the car. But obviously he didn't think that way.

Quick Reply: Ed Dowell at Brainstorm Performance