Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech owners.. question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 04:47 PM
youngZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

around the same as you SungNamZ.

im just saying that i need some sort of FI up here >.<
Old 08-23-2006, 05:56 PM
NOBI

anyone running an auto with the vortech. whats your answer?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:18 PM
weezerfan2004

my vortech likes to break every 15k. this is my second time to send it in for rebuild. good luck with your setup but i'll never use vortech on another car. I put down 410/330 on a dynojet. blew my motor with some bad gas....

The seal is the problem on the vortech but it also makes some crazy *** noises.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:43 AM
tropicalypso

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beyond bumping up the idle, is there any way to have a Vortech on a Z and NOT have it rattle at idle?

(sorry for the hijack)
Old 08-24-2006, 06:21 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by youngZ33
im just saying that i need some sort of FI up here >.<
amen to that...
Old 08-24-2006, 08:19 AM
dimebagdolf

Originally Posted by tropicalypso
Beyond bumping up the idle, is there any way to have a Vortech on a Z and NOT have it rattle at idle?

(sorry for the hijack)
The install of a cold air intake helped quiet my blower quite a bit. I think that a part of why it's so loud is that the blower is open ended on one end of the unit. SO, you hear everything that's going on inside the housing. If you move the opening further away with a CAI/Inlet tube, you quiet the unit.

I've found this to work pretty well with mine.

Adolfo
Old 08-24-2006, 08:44 AM
bobstaff147

Originally Posted by dimebagdolf
The install of a cold air intake helped quiet my blower quite a bit. I think that a part of why it's so loud is that the blower is open ended on one end of the unit. SO, you hear everything that's going on inside the housing. If you move the opening further away with a CAI/Inlet tube, you quiet the unit.

I've found this to work pretty well with mine.

Adolfo
I just did a quick search for CAI Inlet tube and Vortech and did not find anything. Does someone make a tube that I suppose would move the CAI to over the intercooler somewhere?? Or did you manufacture it yourself.

Bob S.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:46 AM
bobstaff147

Does anyone know if changing the pully (which should increase the RPM on the supercharger) has the sideeffect of reducing the rattle as well as making more power??
Old 08-24-2006, 09:01 AM
dimebagdolf

Originally Posted by bobstaff147
I just did a quick search for CAI Inlet tube and Vortech and did not find anything. Does someone make a tube that I suppose would move the CAI to over the intercooler somewhere?? Or did you manufacture it yourself.

Bob S.
Rob at Z Car Garage fabricated a CAI for me. I think I'm the second or third one he's done. But he's been really happy with the results. I think a few people on the board have jimmy rigged something up themselves too.

Yes, it sits over the intercooler. Similar to the way the Turbonetics inlet pipe sits.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:14 AM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Vortech with the 3.12 pulley putting down 351RWHP and 305RWTQ at Forged Perf. in July. These were uncorrected numbers. I also have a 5AT tranny and the auto is awesome with FI. You just have to shift manually rather than in auto mode as you will bounce off the rev limiter under WOT! If using a Dynojet correction factor, I should be around 395RWHP and 305RWTQ!

The other mods I have are headers, test pipes, modified Injen dual exhaust w/ Magnaflow X pipe and the Kinetix SSV.

I also have a custom CAI on my car. I got about 12" of 3.5" ID silicon hose as well as 3.5" OD 90 degree SS intercooler piping and put me a K&N filter on the end of it. I bought all hoses/pipes from www.turbohoses.com (I think) for around $100-120. I got the filter from www.ajusa.com. I think that did quieten down the rattle that the Vortech is notorious for having. The only downside is I have sucked a slight amount of water twice. My filter now is just above the intercooler.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:26 AM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by NOBI
anyone running an auto with the vortech. whats your answer?
Yes! While installing Vortech SC sent ECU to Technosquare and got the "Limited Flash" (Rev Limit 7100+, 100 Throttle and Removed Speed Limiter). Also, if you are considering increasing injector size, do it while installing and advise TS so they can change that within the ECU also.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by zachcrosen
I have the Vortech with the 3.12 pulley putting down 351RWHP and 305RWTQ at Forged Perf. in July. These were uncorrected numbers. I also have a 5AT tranny and the auto is awesome with FI. You just have to shift manually rather than in auto mode as you will bounce off the rev limiter under WOT! If using a Dynojet correction factor, I should be around 395RWHP and 305RWTQ!

The other mods I have are headers, test pipes, modified Injen dual exhaust w/ Magnaflow X pipe and the Kinetix SSV.

I also have a custom CAI on my car. I got about 12" of 3.5" ID silicon hose as well as 3.5" OD 90 degree SS intercooler piping and put me a K&N filter on the end of it. I bought all hoses/pipes from www.turbohoses.com (I think) for around $100-120. I got the filter from www.ajusa.com. I think that did quieten down the rattle that the Vortech is notorious for having. The only downside is I have sucked a slight amount of water twice. My filter now is just above the intercooler.
I'm not doubting your numbers of 351hp on the dyno Dynamics but please dont add in your own correction factor when U have never dyno on a dynojet.
Havent u recently seen threads poping up about how ppl believed they were suppose to be getting more hp/tq if they added 10% to their dyno dynamic numbers but when they redyno on a dynojet it's no way close?
If u are one of those ppl that love to tell ppl the inflated dynos then u should have dyno on a dynopak.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:45 PM
zachcrosen

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
I'm not doubting your numbers of 351hp on the dyno Dynamics but please dont add in your own correction factor when U have never dyno on a dynojet.
Havent u recently seen threads poping up about how ppl believed they were suppose to be getting more hp/tq if they added 10% to their dyno dynamic numbers but when they redyno on a dynojet it's no way close?
If u are one of those ppl that love to tell ppl the inflated dynos then u should have dyno on a dynopak.
Dude, I have dynoed on a Dynojet at Z1 Motorsports as well as Walker Dynotune in AL and I have also dynoed on 2 DD machines, 1 at CP Racing and 1 at Forged Perf. I know that CPR added a correction factor of 13% and I was at 367/305. I then added TP, a Magnaflow X pipe in my Injen exhaust, lightweight pullies and swapped to the 3.5 pumpkin and went to an uncorrected number of 351/305. I said that corrected number because that is what my numbers would be IF, key word IF, I had dynoed at CPR again(estimated ONLY again).

I am fully aware of the inflated dyno numbers and am also fully aware that the dyno is ONLY useful as a tuning tool because of so many different variables. I am not trying to inflate numbers here, ONLY answering or trying to answer some of the posts that had been made in this thread. If you dont like what I typed, then dont respond.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:23 AM
youngZ33

nice numbers
Old 08-25-2006, 11:12 AM
youngZ33

any vids of vortech?
Old 08-25-2006, 12:26 PM
zachcrosen

Originally Posted by youngZ33
nice numbers
Thx!
Old 08-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Phaneom

I have had the Vortech for two years and 10,000km No problems so far. Here are some pictures of a CAI intake I made out of my old Injen CAI.
Attached Thumbnails vortech owners.. question-in1.jpg   vortech owners.. question-in2.jpg   vortech owners.. question-in3.jpg  
Old 08-26-2006, 08:27 AM
tropicalypso

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phaneom
I have had the Vortech for two years and 10,000km No problems so far. Here are some pictures of a CAI intake I made out of my old Injen CAI.

That's pretty sweet man, how much customizing did you have to do to get that CAI the way you wanted it?

Also, did you also notice a decrease in noise at idle after going this route?
Old 08-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by zachcrosen
Dude, I have dynoed on a Dynojet at Z1 Motorsports as well as Walker Dynotune in AL and I have also dynoed on 2 DD machines, 1 at CP Racing and 1 at Forged Perf. I know that CPR added a correction factor of 13% and I was at 367/305. I then added TP, a Magnaflow X pipe in my Injen exhaust, lightweight pullies and swapped to the 3.5 pumpkin and went to an uncorrected number of 351/305. I said that corrected number because that is what my numbers would be IF, key word IF, I had dynoed at CPR again(estimated ONLY again).

I am fully aware of the inflated dyno numbers and am also fully aware that the dyno is ONLY useful as a tuning tool because of so many different variables. I am not trying to inflate numbers here, ONLY answering or trying to answer some of the posts that had been made in this thread. If you dont like what I typed, then dont respond.
look, until u get your car on the dynojet and have a sheet saying 39X, be happy with the 367 u have in your sign. U can't really add in the correcting factors due to the fact we arent NA. I dont doubt it will be higher then 367 but it could range from 1-20% difference.

I'm just trying to save u the shame if u one day wanted to race another AT 350z with 390hp on a real dynojet vs your estimated 390hp number and get your *** handed to u. THen, u will go on this forum and cry and write about how the F#(K u lost by a bus length.

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 08-26-2006 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:48 AM
youngZ33

j/w is any1 by any chance selling their vortech?

Quick Reply: vortech owners.. question