Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Why are Supras so much better?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Mahdivr4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
actually i am going to have to disagree with you there... due to a better flowing motor and .5L in a car 200 - 300 lbs lighter..

a Z with equal HP to a Supra on the highway... the 350z will walk away from the Supra... seen it happen too many times

I am not talking about stock stock, I was talking a single turbo supra vs a single Z.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

F&F, live your life one quarter mile at a time.

i guess if we did then not many people would own a Z. i grew out of buying a car for its quarter mile time a long time ago. let it go, and you'll love your car even more.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:27 PM
taurran

You people have no idea how much it costs to build a big power supra. Not only that, but you'll pay 25-30k for one with 125k miles on the motor. I've had supra owners tell me they wish they had motors that put down the bottom-midrange torque that our motor is capable of (especially built).

Put a 550whp Z in a decent driver's hands with some good rubber and you'd be seeing 10's. I'll agree that it seems many high hp Z's out there have been owned by mediocre drivers with not much experience. Look at the guys in Puerto Rico that are excellent drivers, putting down 10's on the stock motor. I can't wait to see what Jeremy (Audiblemayhem) runs when his drivetrain is ready to go.

Listen to Doug, he's preaching the truth here...
Old 09-04-2006, 02:29 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Mahdivr4
I am not talking about stock stock, I was talking a single turbo supra vs a single Z.
You mean the single turbo Z's running stock or built motor with 60-1 t3/t4s compared to supras running t70-t80 turbos running almost 30psi? Give it time, even the single turbo Z's will be running with (or passing up) the supra crowd. From what I know about the Turbonetics stage 2 kit, single turbo Z owners have a LOT to look forward to.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:30 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahdivr4
so was i.... 450 hp Z vs 450 hp Supra... Z wins... 500 vs 500 .. 600 vs 600... Z wins..
Old 09-04-2006, 02:33 PM
taurran

so was i.... 450 hp Z vs 450 hp Supra... Z wins... 500 vs 500 .. 600 vs 600... Z wins..
Well, yeah, also consider that the Z is making the same power at half the boost.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:34 PM
doug

Originally Posted by taurran
You people have no idea how much it costs to build a big power supra. Not only that, but you'll pay 25-30k for one with 125k miles on the motor. I've had supra owners tell me they wish they had motors that put down the bottom-midrange torque that our motor is capable of (especially built). ...

A guy i knew from TX gave me an excel spreadsheet with the break down... for the life of me i can't find it right now..

but parts and labor was creeping up to the $30 - $40k range
Old 09-04-2006, 02:35 PM
doug

Well, yeah, also consider that the Z is making the same power at half the boost.
well i wasn't even thinking that... i was thinking that we usually have more area under the curve and much more torque than the 2jz
Old 09-04-2006, 02:37 PM
taurran

well i wasn't even thinking that... i was thinking that we usually have more area under the curve and much more torque than the 2jz
I understand and agree. Just making a note in addition to that...
Old 09-04-2006, 02:38 PM
doug

I understand and agree. Just making a note in addition to that...
not saying you are wrong.. because you are not wrong.. just saying that i missed that when i was thinking out my thoughts
Old 09-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Nealoc187

I can't believe I just read some of the posts in this thread honestly...

Supras being the king of traction? lol. If the guy is hitting better times than you are at lower traps it's not your Z's fault, you're getting outdriven, plain and simple. The Z can 60' just fine, whether or not any particular driver can isn't the fault of the car.

The fact that the car comes with a fuel system that is pretty serious from the factory enables it to make more power than the Z before the need for fuel system alterations. The fact that it comes with two turbos under the hood already and can make 450ish on those two turbos before having to change is the other advantage it has. The fact that it comes with an engine it is more stout from the factory is another.

Those three things combined with the fact that you didn't want to hear (that they have been around for 14 years now and have been tuned that much longer, as compared to 3 years with the VQ powered Z) are why they have more "mod potential."

Last edited by Nealoc187; 09-04-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:51 PM
mistaboosta

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
I love my Z but sometimes I question my decissions...

my buddy bought a used Supra with aftermarket turbo (stock block) for about 25k (great condition), tweaked it a bit for about 5k more and ran 11.9 at 7500 feet elevation with a speed of only 115 mph and on top of that won IDRC yesterday.

I spent over 50k so far on my Z (turbo, suspension, tuning, installs, build engine...) and with all that I probably will barely hit 10's beside the fact that I haven't seen my car in almost 5 weeks because the engine build is taking forever, making me even more frustrated but that's a different story.

This makes me wonder why is it so much cheaper to run good times on a Supra vs a Z?
Are the Toyota engineers really that much better than Nissan's?
What's their secret?

And I don't want to hear that the Supra's have been around longer, the Z has been around in it's previous versions probably longer. And I'm not talking modding it out because again my buddy's Supra is almost completely stock.
I think you had your answers already while posting this. also fyi there is a HUGE gap between 10's and 11's.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
one of the things that I am amazed about is the traction.
I have trapped higher mph (118) but him trapping only 115 and hitting 11's that amazes me even more.
It just seemed to be designed better all around.
It'll be interesting to see that IF Toyota will finally re-release the Supra how it will compare to today's Z
If you run at the same track and he traps lower and runs faster, he launches and/or shifts better than you, simple as that. Kind of dumb to compare cost to speed factor from different cars. If you get caught up in that Z vs Supra deal, imagine for $10K including the car, an old Fox body Mustang would have you well into the 10's...at the end of the day its still a....get my point? Your build is coming along, and while it may be frustrating to not see your car for 5 weeks, remember why you drive a Z and not a Mustang, Civic, Srt-4

BTW my weaksauce Z with a "slow" (IMO) 60ft ran 11.9 @ 114mph-you see Z's can run 11's with less than 400whp and full interiors

Last edited by Alberto; 09-04-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the main thing that people are missing here is that MKIV came out in 93. thats 13 years ago, if we compared the timelines with them, we are way way ahead of them for sure. they all did the same thing we are doing and we will have 1000 hp street Zs one day for sure.

our Zs came out in 2003, that is roughly four years ago in the car world. give it time and we will be smoking all those guys...
Old 09-04-2006, 03:31 PM
doug

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
the main thing that people are missing here is that MKIV came out in 93. thats 13 years ago, if we compared the timelines with them, we are way way ahead of them for sure. they all did the same thing we are doing and we will have 1000 hp street Zs one day for sure.

our Zs came out in 2003, that is roughly four years ago in the car world. give it time and we will be smoking all those guys...
thank you mini me
Old 09-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry, man, i dont normally read what you write cause its usually just putting someone down for something...

i like to keep progression headed forward..

well, unless they are complete idiots..
Old 09-04-2006, 04:31 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

you guys are talking about taking out supras... I just want a 400whp Z

I can't wait to see some of these monsters to get back to the track.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:44 PM
doug

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
sorry, man, i dont normally read what you write cause its usually just putting someone down for something...

i like to keep progression headed forward..

well, unless they are complete idiots..
you ready mini me?

my name.. is dr. evil, i'm trying to find a reason .. why? should a next man lie with a guy who's name is steven... I love pum pum... fat .. cuh cuh *** ***.. black brown.. square or round... I will never.. like trevor.. i prefer wifing a heffer...
Old 09-04-2006, 04:52 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

The RB26 is one of the most if not most fabeled engines in the history of japense sports cars. I am not knocking the supra and saying that it does not have an incredible engine either. This is one of those threads like which is faster camaro or mustang. The people that like nissan will probably go with the RB26(which is a monsterously sized engine) and people that like supras and toyotas will go with the 2JZ-GTE which is in the supra. They are both bad*** engines, but I will go with a RB26DETT.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:08 PM
doug

RB Engines in a Z are for people who want the easy way out

Quick Reply: Why are Supras so much better?