Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech 350z 5at Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 08:00 PM
jj350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech 350z 5at Questions

I just got my 350z back from carV2 and dynoed at 367whp and 335wtq

Only problem is the At5 slips in 1st, and 2nd even in manual ship mode because if you try to time the delay the car just hits redline so fast you can keep up with it and your pull is basically shot.

I was also told that in 15,-20,000 miles the tranny would prob go completely.

What can I do to run clean throught 1st and 2nd at the track and on the street. Also what could I do so that the tranny will last.

will the Vb upgrade give me that quick quick shift, and prolong tranny life? or am I just going to have to face the fact that every 15-20,000 miles im going to need a completely new transmission for my AT?

Please help I'd like to utilize the power I spent so much on, and at the same time not go through a new transmission every year.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2006, 09:35 PM
rookie

How many miles are on your tranny? A VB should help with the clamping force during hard acceleration and certain VBs should help with the clamping force during shifts. If your tranny is already weak it might be better to find a used tranny and go from there.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:47 PM
jj350z

46,000 miles on the tranny now
Old 09-04-2006, 09:50 PM
jj350z

How much do you think a used tranny would go for? If its used theres a chance it might have some probs that might not be noticable until its in the car. when the trans goes what parts actually go, its not like you just change the clutch in a manual do you actually switch out the whole trans?
Old 09-04-2006, 09:59 PM
rookie

Clutchpacks and bands are what usually get upgraded for the internals of the autos when parts are available. There is going to be an internals upgrade kit from Level10 pretty soon, not sure if you want to wait for that or start looking for a used one.

Used autos vary, asking carV2 what they have access to would be a start, you can also try z1 motorsports http://www.z1motorsports.com/index.php?cPath=2_348

Local junkyards, do a wanted post in the classifields, or try some other shops in your neighborhood. The tranny model is RE5R05A.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:33 AM
Trav4011

Does your Vortech kit modify the flow meter voltage at all? Or, does your setup use a FMU/bigger pump for additional fueling? The trans computer relies on MAF voltage to interpret "load", and, if you go in, and start to manipulate the voltage, and fool the ECU into thinking that there's less load, then, the trans computer will think that there is less load, and the shift firmness will be decreased.

Travis
Old 09-05-2006, 08:04 AM
jj350z

I got AAM's fuel return system, walbro high flow fuel pump, and 550cc injectors, tuned my turboXS utec.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:38 AM
USED

Originally Posted by Trav4011
Does your Vortech kit modify the flow meter voltage at all? Or, does your setup use a FMU/bigger pump for additional fueling? The trans computer relies on MAF voltage to interpret "load", and, if you go in, and start to manipulate the voltage, and fool the ECU into thinking that there's less load, then, the trans computer will think that there is less load, and the shift firmness will be decreased.

Travis
UTEC. The clamp on the MAF is set high. I believe it's 4.5-4.8 volts, I can't remember exactly right now.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jj350z
I just got my 350z back from carV2 and dynoed at 367whp and 335wtq

Only problem is the At5 slips in 1st, and 2nd even in manual ship mode because if you try to time the delay the car just hits redline so fast you can keep up with it and your pull is basically shot.

I was also told that in 15,-20,000 miles the tranny would prob go completely.

What can I do to run clean throught 1st and 2nd at the track and on the street. Also what could I do so that the tranny will last.

will the Vb upgrade give me that quick quick shift, and prolong tranny life? or am I just going to have to face the fact that every 15-20,000 miles im going to need a completely new transmission for my AT?

Please help I'd like to utilize the power I spent so much on, and at the same time not go through a new transmission every year.

Thanks
what is your definition of slip? Are talking about the tranny delay then that is normal and all u have to do is change the VB. But if your tranny is already slipping, a new VB wont stop the tranny from doing it. U should get a tranny cooler.

By the way, can u post your dyno results? I would like to see the curve and what fuel did u use?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:45 AM
jj350z

I meen slip as in when Im close to redline the transmission slips just like missing a gear in manual

Ill work on the chart
Old 09-05-2006, 12:03 PM
617G

I meen slip as in when Im close to redline the transmission slips just like missing a gear in manual

Ill work on the chart
I don't think you're "slipping" per se. I think you're letting it get too close to redline and when you shift the delay causes you to hit the rev limiter and your car jerks and slows down. This is the ECU not letting you redline your car and kill your motor. Try to shift at around 6k rpm and see if that makes a difference. It's all about timing. I actually noticed that if I shift at 6.4k, the needle will just barely go into redline and shift really hard into the next gear and not hit the rev limiter. I think only 03 g's have this ability due to the ECU programming.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:12 PM
PumpedVA

46k miles? take it from me bro start looking for a used tranny I found one in FL for $500 shipped with only 4500 miles on it. No need to put money in something that might give out anyway
Old 09-05-2006, 12:36 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it sounds like your having the same problem a lot of the a/t turbo guys have.the power comes on so fast at the higher rpm,s that you cant shift fast enough and you bang off the rev limiter.try like said above and shift at 6,000 rpm,s or take it to a tranny shop for one of there free diagnostic test.if all checks out get a v/b upgrade.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:11 PM
jj350z

I was told that the tranny will go its just a matter of time. But yeah your exactly right you cant shift fast enough but I dont bounce I literally slip.... It happened even when it was being tuned at car V2 for the first 2 pulls then just held after the car had warmed up; Go figure. But I def need a new tranny in the next year, and a Vb upgrade in the next month so I can actually go to the track a few times and get some nice smooth runs. ( shift free) Level10 or stillen VB by the way?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:01 PM
617G

Originally Posted by PumpedVA
46k miles? take it from me bro start looking for a used tranny I found one in FL for $500 shipped with only 4500 miles on it. No need to put money in something that might give out anyway
I'm about to go F/I and had all tests done...compression, leakdown, tranny, flushed the tranny, changed diff fluid...the works. Everything checked out perfect. My compression was 180/185/180/185/180/185 and my leakdown was 20% all around. My tranny was also extremely healthy and with the flush, I can feel a difference in the shifts. I think people need to give this tranny a little more credit...I've been very pleased thus far.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:02 PM
617G

I was told that the tranny will go its just a matter of time. But yeah your exactly right you cant shift fast enough but I dont bounce I literally slip.... It happened even when it was being tuned at car V2 for the first 2 pulls then just held after the car had warmed up; Go figure. But I def need a new tranny in the next year, and a Vb upgrade in the next month so I can actually go to the track a few times and get some nice smooth runs. ( shift free) Level10 or stillen VB by the way?
Try a tranny flush...that might gelp
Old 09-06-2006, 03:32 AM
jj350z

Thanks for the info
Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 AM
USED

Originally Posted by 617G
I'm about to go F/I and had all tests done...compression, leakdown, tranny, flushed the tranny, changed diff fluid...the works. Everything checked out perfect. My compression was 180/185/180/185/180/185 and my leakdown was 20% all around. My tranny was also extremely healthy and with the flush, I can feel a difference in the shifts. I think people need to give this tranny a little more credit...I've been very pleased thus far.
Your compression is good, but your leak through numbers are high. I wouldn't recommend FI on an engine with 20% leak through. You may want to have those leakthrough numbers done again. Did you have the pistons at TDC when you did the test? 20% is at the edge of a rebuild. On a good engine, we're usually at 10% or less for recommending FI.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:42 AM
USED

It was curious. On the first two pulls, the trans slipped at about 4000 to 4300 and again at about 5500. It repeated exactly same RPM points on the next run. After that, the trans held up like a champ. Maybe the fluid was cold.

John, are you banging off the rev limiter or is the trans slipping into the next gear. Remeber, a VB will only help actuate the shift points. The slipping can only be aided but upgrading the internals of the tranny. See ya friday!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:23 AM
617G

Originally Posted by USED
Your compression is good, but your leak through numbers are high. I wouldn't recommend FI on an engine with 20% leak through. You may want to have those leakthrough numbers done again. Did you have the pistons at TDC when you did the test? 20% is at the edge of a rebuild. On a good engine, we're usually at 10% or less for recommending FI.
I thought 20% is kind of high, but according to inifiniti it is within spec. Does anyone know what the leak down should be?

Quick Reply: Vortech 350z 5at Questions