Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

powersteering fluid boiling

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:05 PM
in2therain3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powersteering fluid boiling

Have you guys had any instances where the powersteering fluid boils with a TN kit installed? Mine goes nuts even when I'm not driving hard (around 80F). Should I think of getting a powersteering cooler??
And does anyone know how rich can the TN kit go w. just the reflash?
Old 09-14-2006, 05:19 PM
roneski

I had my power steering boil on the track when I was NA. Added a cooler, problem solved.

It does seem kind of odd that you could get it to boil just driving around town though.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Tekwon-V

i havent boiled my fluid but it is absolutely black right now. i did 3 track days and about 10 autox events on the original fluid hahaha. never boiled though.

brake fluid is a different story haha.

i wonder how messy/easy it is to drain/fill powersteering fluid? maybe worth my time to take it to a shop for few beans.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:50 PM
chimmike

I bet you it wasn't boiling, I bet it stops when the vehicle is off, which just means theres air in the system.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:06 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
I bet you it wasn't boiling, I bet it stops when the vehicle is off, which just means theres air in the system.

I was looking at mine the other day. I had the hood open and the car running; the fluid was dancing around in the reservoir.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Z PHAT Z

Originally Posted by QuadCam
I was looking at mine the other day. I had the hood open and the car running; the fluid was dancing around in the reservoir.
I think it's because of the pump?????
Old 09-15-2006, 04:49 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by QuadCam
mine does the same thing when the car is running. I think it's just that there's air in the system or something.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Q45tech

Measure the temperature.............the fluid will degrade fast if it exceeds 176F.........frequent changing is always in order........if you use the RED dyed ATF type the color saturation decrease shows what is happening
Old 09-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by in2therain3
Have you guys had any instances where the powersteering fluid boils with a TN kit installed? Mine goes nuts even when I'm not driving hard (around 80F). Should I think of getting a powersteering cooler??
Cant think were u would have a prob with the TN as far as pump heat or L/P H/P line heat---But is it possible that ur exhaust is too close to the Rack and Pinion ? If so or a maybe, Try wraping it with heat tape. And a bigger cooler is never a bad idea
Old 09-15-2006, 11:20 AM
in2therain3

Since I do go to track events, I think I will be adding a cooler before I go to another one. Anyways, I need to see if it still does it when the car is off. Air in the system might be causing the problem. Thanks guys!
Oh yeah, my question still remains on how rich the TN kit will go...
Old 09-15-2006, 12:03 PM
siksilver350z

Originally Posted by E***zzzzy
Cant think were u would have a prob with the TN as far as pump heat or L/P H/P line heat---But is it possible that ur exhaust is too close to the Rack and Pinion ? If so or a maybe, Try wraping it with heat tape. And a bigger cooler is never a bad idea
The drivers side exhuast mainifold pipe is so close to my rack it melted one of my hardlines .. gonna cost me like 500 to replace just the line... TN said i am the only one with this issue and i must have bolted on the pipe wrong ...

"DUH ...HOW DO ME BOLT THIS ON, ME TOO STEWPID TO LINE UP TREE BOLTESES"
Old 09-15-2006, 12:09 PM
siksilver350z

Oh yeah, my question still remains on how rich the TN kit will go...
On my base line , with just the the reflash on my stock exhaust , the car dynoed 299 at 4250 on a mustang dyno with pretty my a 13.1 across the board, but dropped sharply after that until it was below 200hp at 6200. We dropped the stock exhuast and ran open down pipe and the car made 379 at 6250rpm at i think 12.1 , with nothing done to the tune ... i am going back with a 3inch and to tune my utech to 11.1 and pull timing till it knocks ... hoping for over 400hp on the mustang dyno ....

Last edited by siksilver350z; 09-15-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by siksilver350z
The drivers side exhuast mainifold pipe is so close to my rack it melted one of my hardlines .. gonna cost me like 500 to replace just the line... TN said i am the only one with this issue and i must have bolted on the pipe wrong ...

"DUH ...HOW DO ME BOLT THIS ON, ME TOO STEWPID TO LINE UP TREE BOLTESES"
A friend of mine that I did the TN install on had the same prob----But Melt???? His was just rubbed and had a pinhole in it ---I took it out and brazed it up for nothing
Old 09-15-2006, 02:25 PM
MIAPLAYA

My Z power steering fluid jumped around like that when I was stock. Look up some old threads and other people report the same thing on their stock Zs. I've never boiled my PS fluid but I have gotten it warm enough to make the steering stiff at the track. Of course it was 105F outside that day..
Old 09-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dumb question: if you boil your PSF, it will get really hard to steer right?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Dumb question: if you boil your PSF, it will get really hard to steer right?
Not Dumb ---But yes, Not only is the viscosity of the fluid nil, But ur also reaching the point where the heat is having an effect on tolerances in Pump and R@P------And dam,,, Just beating the seals to death
Old 09-15-2006, 07:54 PM
siksilver350z

Originally Posted by E***zzzzy
A friend of mine that I did the TN install on had the same prob----But Melt???? His was just rubbed and had a pinhole in it ---I took it out and brazed it up for nothing
it maybe a hole, i havent removed it yet ....doing it in a few mins
Old 09-15-2006, 10:15 PM
LODOSS

Originally Posted by siksilver350z
On my base line , with just the the reflash on my stock exhaust , the car dynoed 299 at 4250 on a mustang dyno with pretty my a 13.1 across the board, but dropped sharply after that until it was below 200hp at 6200. We dropped the stock exhuast and ran open down pipe and the car made 379 at 6250rpm at i think 12.1 , with nothing done to the tune ... i am going back with a 3inch and to tune my utech to 11.1 and pull timing till it knocks ... hoping for over 400hp on the mustang dyno ....

so without the stock exhaust you made 80 more HP ? i guess it is too restrictive up top . i got a totally stock z with tn kit with cat version and put down 330 corrected.. i was hoping for 350's but anyways i am going to put on a 3 inch fuji exhaust tomorrow.. should be a noticeable difference.. let me know how your dyno goes with the 3 inch..

curious why the A/F got richer after you remove the stock exhaust.. would'nt it be producing less HP and still using the same amount of fuel?
Old 09-16-2006, 06:57 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Judging from the wheel rim sizes you have in your signature, you are running some very significant treadwidth tires, and they are "grippy" compound formula as well. That can put some significant strain on the power steering and contribute to the heat buildup. But for around town that should not be enough all by itself to boil the fluid, so there is something else that is probably a contributing cause, and I would also suspect air in the system or a slight leak. If you are tracking the car, you really must get a bigger cooler and a more powerful pump. At idle mine practically looks like a blender from the pump surge. But in 100F temps the car is cool on the track, even the twisty places like Spring Mountain Pahrump and Streets of Willow do not strain the power steering now.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:34 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Eagle1
Judging from the wheel rim sizes you have in your signature, you are running some very significant treadwidth tires, and they are "grippy" compound formula as well. That can put some significant strain on the power steering and contribute to the heat buildup. But for around town that should not be enough all by itself to boil the fluid, so there is something else that is probably a contributing cause, and I would also suspect air in the system or a slight leak. If you are tracking the car, you really must get a bigger cooler and a more powerful pump. At idle mine practically looks like a blender from the pump surge. But in 100F temps the car is cool on the track, even the twisty places like Spring Mountain Pahrump and Streets of Willow do not strain the power steering now.
Good point Eagle!!