Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Ses P1274 P1283 P302

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:10 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the 1283 and 1274 , etc codes are related to the upstream sensors. Adding spacers to those won't work. those sensors need to be in the exhaust flow!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 AM
USED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I talked to Ed at turbonetics and they seem to have no intention on providing a remedy for this situation. He stated "...it's a rare occurance that I haven't heard of...check the fuel pressure and for boost leaks...there is nothing we can do to fix it..."

I have installed more turbonetics VQ ST kits than I can count. I go above and beyond with what they supply in the kit. I have repaired Turbonetics ST kits installed from other shops that have issues. I know the kit well. The car in question that I'm having issues with is holding 9psi. AFR's are in the high 11's under full load. No other mods are done to the engine that would affect the kit. Most T'netics ST kits make around 8. Maybe, just maybe, the fuel pump is part of the problem. I don't trust the Walbro GSS342's anyway. I can't see this being related, but I may check the pressure to be sure.

I've consulted Sam from GTM, Jermain from TurboXS, and Mike from AAM. They're all aware of this situation. It's pretty much concluded that it arises from a transitional state that the leading A/F sensors sees (very rich) and cannot compensate enough to trim to the target the ecu wants. The transitional state is a part throttle tip in rich condition where the MAF voltage increases with boost onset and the ecu dumps fuel from the larger than stock fuel injectors. The amout of fuel is too much for the ecu to trim and bring it back to target, thus the ecu throw a rich shift code (1274/1284).

Can this problem be fixed easily...no. Some may get lucky by switching the trailing O2 sensors, but I'm not convinced that they're even involved with these codes (according to the FSM). Somehow you have to eliminate the overly rich tip in condition. You can either trim the fuel map or change the target the ecu wants to see. In order to trim the fuel map, you need the flash hadware/software. In order to trim the fuel target, you may possibly be able to do via flash. Either way it's not cheap or a guaranteed fix. The light still may come on. Anytime you are tuning transitional states (atomosphere to boost) in fueling, it gets tedious/time consuming.

UTEC has variables that can let the end user/tuner choose when the ecu goes into open loop. When the ecu is in open loop, the A/F sensors go off line and all the fueling defaults to the tuned fuel map. So now the window for the A/F sensors is significantly reduced and the chance of the ecu maxing the trims probably won't occur. Therefore the code will be in check.

This is my theory. So far, many experts agree with me. I don't think turbonetics will agree with us. I'm gonna call technosquare to see if they can help.

Last edited by USED; 04-09-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stating that we have no intention of helping you is not true. I did talk to you on this and helped you the best I could. I also gave you some ideas on what to check which I will go over again.

1. Boost leaks - in any of the piping or exhaust, Leaks from piping into turbo, also in and around the MAF.
2. Proper modification the fuel pressure regulator per our instructions
3. Bad 02 sensors and or changing the positions of the sensors
4. changing to one step colder plugs and or checking the injectors.

To say I simply refused to help is incorrect and false. I also stated we have 4 cars with the same kit. We have two 350z's here running only our reflash here and we had two g35 running our kit only on the flash. An 04 coupe and a sedan with no issues. You requested we do a custom tune for you which I told you we can not do since we don't have the software to do that. Technosquare is the only one who would be able to do that for you. We have used the same flash on every kit we have sold and if there was a major issue we would have corrected it immediately. We drive what we sell so if there is a issue we can address it before it gets to the consumer. I think you may have another issue related somewhere else in the meantime I will try to bump head with the other guys here and see what else you can do to get this going.

Last edited by Ed 718; 04-09-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:21 AM
USED

Originally Posted by Ed 718
[B]I did talk to you on this and helped you the best I could. I also gave you some ideas on what to check which I will go over again.

1. Boost leaks - in any of the piping or exhaust, Leaks from piping into turbo, also in and around the MAF.
2. Proper modification the fuel pressure regulator per our instructions
3. Bad 02 sensors and or changing the positions of the sensors
4. changing to one step colder plugs and or checking the injectors.
All that done, with the exception of the trailing O2 sensor position change (because it's a leading A/F sensor code) and no change. Everything checks fine, which I told you.

To say I simply refused to help is incorrect and false. I also stated we have 4 cars with the same kit. We have two 350z's here running only our reflash here and we had two g35 running our kit only on the flash. An 04 coupe and a sedan with no issues.
I didn't say you refused to help. I said you stated that Turbonetics has intention of providing a remedy for my situation. You stated that aside from the above listed suggestion, you cannot do anything else. Also, you don't have any 2004.5+ cars. 2003-2004 cars are not seeing this problem. Those cars have standard leading O2 sensors.

Last edited by USED; 04-09-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Originally Posted by USED
All that done, with the exception of the trailing O2 sensor position change (because it's a leading A/F sensor code) and no change. Everything checks fine, which I told you.

I didn't say you refused to help. I said you stated that Turbonetics has intention of providing a remedy for my situation. Also, you don't have any 2004.5+ cars. 2003-2004 cars are not seeing this problem. Those cars have standard leading O2 sensors.
You stated the car WAS NOT A REVUP so the .5 means nothing. We have no different flash from a 04 to a 04.5. You want us to do a custom tune to your ECU on that yes we can't help you. I did not state we have NO INTENTION OF PROVIDING A REMEDY. Please do not state false facts I did provide alternate methods of what YOU WANT DONE which we can't do.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:51 AM
taurran

People just need to quit sitting around on the forum complaining about this and try a few possible fixes...

1) Swap out to brand new o2 sensors.
2) Replace the wiring leading to the sensors if it has been damaged previously.
3) Try running an aftermarket programmable EMS (UTEC).
4) Try reflashing the ECU with either another aftermarket alternative or back to stock, then tuning with a piggyback.

Be a little proactive about this.

The issue has been sporadic and not easily repeatable on all cars. It seems only certain unlucky individuals are having the issue. What I'd recommend is for some of those individuals to provide a little troubleshooting (rather than expecting turbonetics to do it for them with no car to test, from thousands of miles away), and trying some possible fixes.

I think you may be on the right track. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:25 PM
USED

You stated the car WAS NOT A REVUP so the .5 means nothing. We have no different flash from a 04 to a 04.5. You want us to do a custom tune to your ECU on that yes we can't help you. I did not state we have NO INTENTION OF PROVIDING A REMEDY. Please do not state false facts I did provide alternate methods of what YOU WANT DONE which we can't do.
You cannot talk around the facts. Your knowledge on the G35 is limited if you believe there is no difference in the 2004.5 MY. In June of 2004, Nissan began using leading A/F sensors in the G35. There are circuits and mapping changes in the ecu's...and yes, they are not REV UP engines. The closed loop to open loop thresholds are different compared to 2003-2004 models. This is fact.

Your ad for the ST kit clearly states "NO ADDITIONAL TUNING NECESSARY".
Old 04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
taurran

You cannot talk around the facts. Your knowledge on the G35 is limited if you believe there is no difference in the 2004.5 MY. In June of 2004, Nissan began using leading A/F sensors in the G35. There are circuits and mapping changes in the ecu's...and yes, they are not REV UP engines. The closed loop to open loop thresholds are different compared to 2003-2004 models. This is fact.
Ok, then if you have all of the facts:

Please explain why every single 04.5-05 350z and G35 with the turbonetics reflash has experienced this issue.

I'm waiting for you to provide these facts. Until then, go fix your issue and come back when you can provide some constructive feedback.

There is no tuning needed. The car is running fine.

The fact that it's throwing codes is something that FI owners should be fully prepared for when installing an aftermarket FI kit. These codes have been experienced on other kits other than turbonetics equipped cars as well, and seem random on these certain model years.

If you want to get down to the details - This kit is intended for offroad use only, as it does not meet legal emissions laws for street use (as with every other turbo kit for the 350z). If your issue is not effecting performance, but only your ability to break the law by driving an illegaly modified car on the street. If the reflash is running the car at safe AFR's and is not exibiting detonation on a properly installed system, then it is doing its job.

Last edited by taurran; 04-09-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 PM
USED

Originally Posted by taurran
Ok, then if you have all of the facts:

Please explain why every single 04.5-05 350z and G35 with the turbonetics reflash has experienced this issue.

I'm waiting for you to provide these facts. Until then, go fix your issue and come back when you can provide some constructive feedback.

There is no tuning needed. The car is running fine.

The fact that it's throwing codes is something that FI owners should be fully prepared for when installing an aftermarket FI kit. These codes have been experienced on other kits other than turbonetics equipped cars as well, and seem random on these certain model years.

If you want to get down to the details - This kit is intended for offroad use only, as it does not meet legal emissions laws for street use (as with every other turbo kit for the 350z). If your issue is not effecting performance, but only your ability to break the law by driving an illegaly modified car on the street. If the reflash is running the car at safe AFR's and is not exibiting detonation on a properly installed system, then it is doing its job.

Taurran, this jumping back and forth from this thread to the other is overlapping. Check out my reply on the other thread. Thanks dude.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/350483-1274-1284-t-netics-st-agony.html
Old 04-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

So if that is the case why are other g35 running the kit? Let's not forget this kit has been out a while with countless users running our kit. Don't you think if it was a massive issue it would have addressed already. Explain to me how other shops have installed this kit with many satisfied customers.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:31 AM
QuadCam

People just need to quit sitting around on the forum complaining about this and try a few possible fixes...

1) Swap out to brand new o2 sensors.
2) Replace the wiring leading to the sensors if it has been damaged previously.
3) Try running an aftermarket programmable EMS (UTEC).
4) Try reflashing the ECU with either another aftermarket alternative or back to stock, then tuning with a piggyback.
1) that may be part of the solution, but it is hard to imagine that so many people have had their stock wideband O2s burnout, and yet the stock O2s seems to keep the car running perfectly at 14.7 under normal conditions.

2) It's not the wiring. Same reason as above. all else works normally.

3)People with UTECs (me, for example) have this issue too.

4)Some kind of specialty reflash is most the likely the only answer. I believe these codes come are realted to the huge change in A:F ratios from what the stock ECU was programmed for. The strange part of it is that one code is for a rich bank, while the other code is for the oppsosite bank being lean. Pretty wierd.

My conclusions are that the codes don't cause any drivability issues or performance issues! Best answer is to go buy a small OBD2 code scanner, like the mini actron one for about $70...and keep it in the car. Even if you don't get those codes anymore, you'll still get the P0300 (random cylinder misfire) code, which will set of the CEL anyway.

Hell, I worry when I don't throw one of these codes.

go out out and buy this:

Last edited by QuadCam; 04-14-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:41 AM
taurran

Quadcam - do you have a reflashed ECU still?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:53 AM
QuadCam

Quadcam - do you have a reflashed ECU still?

No....I have never had a reflash. I went with the UTEC from the get-go.

that's why I don't the codes are a tuning issue as much as is it the stock ECU slightly freaking out over the big changes in A:F.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

^^ How is the Utec working out for you Quad with the twins? I also got the scan guage to erase the p0300 random misifire. The bad thing is I have to keep unplugging it since everyone wants to use it to clear codes. My Z is so subject to that code ( Production date 9/02 ) more so than the Z's and G's we have here at work.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:35 PM
QuadCam

^^ How is the Utec working out for you Quad with the twins? I also got the scan guage to erase the p0300 random misifire. The bad thing is I have to keep unplugging it since everyone wants to use it to clear codes. My Z is so subject to that code ( Production date 9/02 ) more so than the Z's and G's we have here at work.

the UTec is/has been great! It is had to beat the UTEC for the money. You definately gain more cntrol/better resolution by going to the VPro or he Haltech, but tey are about $2000 more....right now, I can't justify making a change.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Bumble_Zee
FREEDOM FIGHTER

so with the P1273 and P1283 error codes I'm assuming the only definite solution to this issue is the ECU REFLASH? I have read some other threads in regards to this problem that they changed the sensors but the problem just came back right after a few miles... I have a scanner and I have to erase the code every 15-20miles which gets really annoying. I don't mind driving it with the SES light on, I just hope i don't break anything else... any updates would be greatly appreciated...
Old 06-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issue and the SES light is on all the time. When I drive the car in cooler weather, sometimes the light will go off for a few days. Inspection is a fail, cant drive more than 5K a year because of this . It seems its all the 04.5 and 05 g's and z's that have the TN kits.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:35 AM
05Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not just the Turbonetics kits. I get the lights too and I have a Vortech. I thought I had it fixed by changing the fuse, but It only fixes it for about 20-30 miles which is better than before. I was thinking maybe reflashing the ECU for injector scalling might fix the problem. Either that or a piece of black electrical tape over the light so that I don't see it anymore LOL.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:20 PM
USED

Originally Posted by Bumble_Zee
I'm assuming the only definite solution to this issue is the ECU REFLASH?
There is no fix. Well, that's to say there is no practical fix. If you're using the factory ecu in an '04.5 + G or a rev up Z (factory AFR sensors) and have increased the fueling with FI, you will get these codes. Even if you reflash or piggyback super accurately, the codes will eventually reappear. There are only a few experts in the USA that know what the problem is. It's all about target afr's, diagnostics, tip-in throttle, and over-fueling.

Buy a cheap scan tool that can read/erase the code. Get a reflash or piggyback to help with the frequency of the code. Accept the consequences of the decisions you've made about modifying your car. I'm sure you don't think about those codes when you ripping through the gears...

Last edited by USED; 06-21-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Bumble_Zee
FREEDOM FIGHTER

There is no fix. Well, that's to say there is no practical fix. If you're using the factory ecu in an '04.5 + G or a rev up Z (factory AFR sensors) and have increased the fueling with FI, you will get these codes. Even if you reflash or piggyback super accurately, the codes will eventually reappear. There are only a few experts in the USA that know what the problem is. It's all about target afr's, diagnostics, tip-in throttle, and over-fueling.

Buy a cheap scan tool that can read/erase the code. Get a reflash or piggyback to help with the frequency of the code. Accept the consequences of the decisions you've made about modifying your car. I'm sure you don't think about those codes when you ripping through the gears...
I have an 05Z with 23200miles, add ons are:

-5/16 plenum spacer
-Nismo Headers
-Ultimate Racing HFC (Edit: with non foulers 3 stack each side)
-Nismo Catback Exhaust
-(edit) I've had over 4k miles til this problem started

I do have the scanner since I bought the car, i get about 20miles each city driving after every SES light reset... I've seen a couple of threads talking about putting an O2 SIM... still waiting from the guy who started the thread to find out if it fixes the problem or not... I haven't got the chance of checking my under carriage for any air leaks, but I will definitely post an update here... thanks for the help ya'll...

Last edited by Bumble_Zee; 06-21-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Ses P1274 P1283 P302