Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Anyone here with a JWT TT and a diff BOV???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 10:21 AM
NoahzBurnt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here with a JWT TT and a diff BOV???

I had the TurboSmart dual port on my car but it turned out to be defective. I am back on the bosch unit that is supplied with the kit but I cannot stand the way it sounds. I want a nice BOV but am worried about getting into stalling issues and B/S again. Is anyone running a BOV other than the BOSCH and have you had any issues?
Old 10-24-2006, 10:23 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by NoahzBurnt
I had the TurboSmart dual port on my car but it turned out to be defective. I am back on the bosch unit that is supplied with the kit but I cannot stand the way it sounds. I want a nice BOV but am worried about getting into stalling issues and B/S again. Is anyone running a BOV other than the BOSCH and have you had any issues?
If the car is tuned and setup for a re-circulated BOV you should be able to use any unit as long it can be re-circulated. Although if you want it to vent to atmosphere it shouldn't be terribly hard to tune it the momentary rich condition when the system blows off.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:06 AM
NoahzBurnt

I figured that but my main concern is the stalling and sudden RPM dropping that I just spent over $1000 to to fix. I am trying to dump atmospherically BTW
Old 10-24-2006, 11:11 AM
MIAPLAYA

I figured that but my main concern is the stalling and sudden RPM dropping that I just spent over $1000 to to fix. I am trying to dump atmospherically BTW
I see. Well in that case you are going to need something to compensate for the temporary rich condition caused by the metered air being vented to atmosphere. I don't know if the Split Second can be tuned for this. I believe the Apexi S-AFC2 had a correction built in for that but its been a while since I read up on it.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:18 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as long as you can adjust the preload on your BOV so that it is sealed up when it has vaccum, you'll be fine venting to atmosphere.

I have done it on vorteched mustangs in the past. I used the greddy type-s. and these mustangs had the MAF on the inlet side of the blower. There were no drivability issues at all!!! The only time the BOV would open up is when there was pressure in the pipes AND vaccum in the manifold...basically when youd let off the throttle immediately after boosting. while cruising, there was no problem.

also, you could rework the piping on the JWT kit so that the MAF is located after the turbos.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:31 AM
k3silk

I have the HKS on mine and have no stalling problems at all
Old 10-24-2006, 11:43 AM
dutchboy

Originally Posted by QuadCam
as long as you can adjust the preload on your BOV so that it is sealed up when it has vaccum, you'll be fine venting to atmosphere.

I have done it on vorteched mustangs in the past. I used the greddy type-s. and these mustangs had the MAF on the inlet side of the blower. There were no drivability issues at all!!!
Same here, except on a V6 Eclipse. Worked like a charm and was easily adjustable.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k3silk
I have the HKS on mine and have no stalling problems at all
post some pics man...
Old 10-24-2006, 11:55 AM
chimmike

you paid $1000 essentially so you could vent to atmosphere? Wow.

try a different bov.......greddy type RS, etc.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chimmike
you paid $1000 essentially so you could vent to atmosphere? Wow.

try a different bov.......greddy type RS, etc.
he paid $1000.00 to get his car fixed. not vent to the atmosphere.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:06 PM
chimmike

look. He paid $1000 to fix symptoms that are brought on by venting to atmosphere on a setup essentially meant to be recirc'd.

so he can find a BOV that is still loud and recirc it, or risk having the same issues again. His turbosmart BOV was the issue causing the stalling/rpm drops from sudden off throttle conditions. Classic results.

Greddy type RS or HKS SSQ can be recirc'd. I like the Forge 007 diverter valves too. They look great and are easy to recirc, and sound great too.

the turbonetics raptor can be recirc'd as well.

If his BOV is between the MAF and the TB, he's got to recirc or he'll still have those issues. been there, done that, on 2 other Nissans. That's just how it works. If between MAF and TB, while in vacuum, BOV=open=losing air. MAF says "x" air is going into engine...and when "x" air isn't, but "y" air is, it throws the car off and either stalls or drops rpm heavily.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:20 PM
QuadCam

If his BOV is between the MAF and the TB, he's got to recirc or he'll still have those issues. been there, done that, on 2 other Nissans. That's just how it works. If between MAF and TB, while in vacuum, BOV=open=losing air. MAF says "x" air is going into engine...and when "x" air isn't, but "y" air is, it throws the car off and either stalls or drops rpm heavily.

It can be done. I had no probs with it on my vortech'd cobra. Like I said above, the greddy type worked on my setup.

Looking at the the TN raptor, I doubt it'd work for that set up. My raptor opens up with any vaccum. At idle, the BOV is sucking air into the engine. makes me think I need to put a filter on the end of the BOV.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:32 PM
chimmike

all BOVs open at vacuum. The Raptor has a fitting that allows it to be recirc'd.

Of course open atmosphere venting can be done, but there are certain BOVs that allow it. I'm guessing that turbosmart isn't one of 'em.

I mentioned the greddy type RS. I know the HSK SSQ has a fitting that can allow it to be recirc'd...........but the greddy can be tightened enough to allow it, but you've got to watch out for compressor surge/flutter from it being too tight.

Recircing has more benefits than detractors though........i think the only detractor for recircing is sound (but the damn greddy RS is loud as hell recirc'd too LOL!)
Old 10-24-2006, 01:58 PM
taurran

all BOVs open at vacuum. The Raptor has a fitting that allows it to be recirc'd.

Of course open atmosphere venting can be done, but there are certain BOVs that allow it. I'm guessing that turbosmart isn't one of 'em.

I mentioned the greddy type RS. I know the HSK SSQ has a fitting that can allow it to be recirc'd...........but the greddy can be tightened enough to allow it, but you've got to watch out for compressor surge/flutter from it being too tight.

Recircing has more benefits than detractors though........i think the only detractor for recircing is sound (but the damn greddy RS is loud as hell recirc'd too LOL!)
Damn Mike. It's not about how well it works or good it sounds. It's about being JDM.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:03 PM
chimmike

forgive me........I forgot that form>function again
Old 10-24-2006, 02:03 PM
QuadCam

all BOVs open at vacuum.

he needs a BOV that you can adjust the preload enough so that it takes more than just vaccum to open it up. it needs to see vaccum from the manifold AND pressure in the pipes.

If he does this, he won't have the stalling issues that other people get.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:08 PM
chimmike

he needs a BOV that you can adjust the preload enough so that it takes more than just vaccum to open it up. it needs to see vaccum from the manifold AND pressure in the pipes.

If he does this, he won't have the stalling issues that other people get.

yup, but then he'll get surge/flutter issues..................that's just how it works when the BOV is placed between the MAF and TB
Old 10-24-2006, 04:39 PM
k3silk

I dont have any pics because it is behind the bumper if you want to know how to do it call vrt i used the hks bov and blocked off the other ports.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:48 PM
MIAPLAYA

It can be done. I had no probs with it on my vortech'd cobra. Like I said above, the greddy type worked on my setup.

Looking at the the TN raptor, I doubt it'd work for that set up. My raptor opens up with any vaccum. At idle, the BOV is sucking air into the engine. makes me think I need to put a filter on the end of the BOV.
Actually if you connect a pressure signal to the bottom port of the Raptor BOV AS WELL as leaving the current port connected I believe the Raptor BOV will stay closed under vacuum.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:17 PM
QuadCam

How would that work under boost?

Quick Reply: Anyone here with a JWT TT and a diff BOV???