Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Troubled Built TT - please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Yancy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubled Built TT - please help.

My car has been at the shop here in MI for almost 3 weeks and they cannot figure out what the issue is with it. Here is what my car is doing: I have the e01 boost controller, greddy TT with built sleeved engine running 17 psi with the UTEC (the stock ECU was reflashed by technosquare and the idle bumped up to 1000 for the jwt cams).

The car will start and idle but when you push the gas down there is no or little reaction from the car (it may rev up to 12-1300 rpms but nothing further). It's as if the car doesn't recognize the peddle being pushed down. This happened as I was casually driving home one day and the car sorta sputtered then wouldn't move). The shop here thought it was a UTEC issue but now say its not and now they don't know what it could be. I've had my car for about 30 days since April 17, 2006 because things like this keep happening and quit frankly it takes way too long for them to get things done. Can anyone assist with what the possible problems and remedies might be? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:19 AM
dutchboy

Problem with the throttle body? Who has been working on your car? If it's the Tuning Factory, I would think that Dan could figure it out.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:22 AM
Yancy

Originally Posted by dutchboy
Problem with the throttle body? Who has been working on your car? If it's the Tuning Factory, I would think that Dan could figure it out.
Yep, Tuning Factory and Dan is the one working on it. After 3 weeks, you'd think that all the work would be done and the problem resolved, but not.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:29 AM
dutchboy

Originally Posted by Yancy
Yep, Tuning Factory and Dan is the one working on it. After 3 weeks, you'd think that all the work would be done and the problem resolved, but not.
You would think. Although he did tune one of my other cars, and did a pretty good job, I won't be bringing my G35 to them. They take way too long and charge too much.

Did they look at the T.B. at all? I'm sure they checked all the vacuum lines and zip-tied connections, right?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:42 AM
MIAPLAYA

i would check:
Throttle Body
MAF
Evap solenoid (including fuse)

the last one sounds weird but this happened to a couple local guys when installing a variety of kits had the fuse blow for this and at first caused the car to start but not do anything else and then eventually not start at all. Are you throwing any codes?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did the car ever run well after UTEC installed? I did a UTEC install on my buddies Z, and after we started it, I had no throttle control and lights on everywhere on the dash. It turned out it needed a new update for the throttle control. DL'd it to the UTEC off of TXS website, started it up and it was fine. Try that only if the car has never run good on the UTEC, or preventatively DL the software update.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:41 AM
nissansource

yah thats an odd one will it throw a code sounds like a tps issue

Id minus out the UTEC put the stock injectors in and see if it free revs also check MIA's recommendations
Old 10-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Yancy

Originally Posted by Alberto
Did the car ever run well after UTEC installed? I did a UTEC install on my buddies Z, and after we started it, I had no throttle control and lights on everywhere on the dash. It turned out it needed a new update for the throttle control. DL'd it to the UTEC off of TXS website, started it up and it was fine. Try that only if the car has never run good on the UTEC, or preventatively DL the software update.
Well, my car has been mostly in the shop since April with various issues unrelated to the UTEC or engine management. The car ran well with the UTEC until just 3 weeks ago when my car decided to just not rev anymore. Any ideas what would make a TPS go bad or could that even be the issue? How would one test to see if that were the case?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:49 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Throwing a code?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unplug the UTEC, and see if the throttle control returns. If it returns, then you need to do the DBW reflash to the UTEC. I have seen the dead pedal a couple times before, and a DBW reflash fixed the issue.

If you unplug the UTEC, and still have no throttle control, then its time for some more trouble shooting. Keep us posted.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Yancy

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Unplug the UTEC, and see if the throttle control returns. If it returns, then you need to do the DBW reflash to the UTEC. I have seen the dead pedal a couple times before, and a DBW reflash fixed the issue.

If you unplug the UTEC, and still have no throttle control, then its time for some more trouble shooting. Keep us posted.

The shop told me that they tried a new UTEC and reflashed(?) mine and the issue persisted after both approaches. I was also told that they unplugged the UTEC to see what the stock ECU would do and still no throttle control? I think they're looking into the TPS sensor in the throttle body but they said its difficult to test and that I'd need a whole new throttle body assembly because the TPS sensor is embedied or something in it and only comes with the throttle body assembly? Its been 3 weeks now.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:35 AM
MIAPLAYA

The shop told me that they tried a new UTEC and reflashed(?) mine and the issue persisted after both approaches. I was also told that they unplugged the UTEC to see what the stock ECU would do and still no throttle control? I think they're looking into the TPS sensor in the throttle body but they said its difficult to test and that I'd need a whole new throttle body assembly because the TPS sensor is embedied or something in it and only comes with the throttle body assembly? Its been 3 weeks now.
Thats true the TPS is part of the throttle body so if you need to replace it the entire throttle body has to be replaced. Are you throwing any codes?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Yancy

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Thats true the TPS is part of the throttle body so if you need to replace it the entire throttle body has to be replaced. Are you throwing any codes?
Yeah, its throwing codes. I can't remember the code numbers, but the nite it went down I scanned it with my OBDII scanner and it registered 8 codes. If I remember right, the scanner registered 3 TPS sensor codes; 2 random misfire codes, and I think a code or two about the brakes or slip? I know the shop ran it and come up with codes too - I think they mentioned it keeps registering the TPS/failure to read code.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:45 AM
MIAPLAYA

Yeah, its throwing codes. I can't remember the code numbers, but the nite it went down I scanned it with my OBDII scanner and it registered 8 codes. If I remember right, the scanner registered 3 TPS sensor codes; 2 random misfire codes, and I think a code or two about the brakes or slip? I know the shop ran it and come up with codes too - I think they mentioned it keeps registering the TPS/failure to read code.
Sounds like the TPS is the culprit then... Unfortunately throttle bodies are freaking expensive for this car. Check around and see if someone has one used.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:39 AM
nissansource

zackly TPS then
all that sounded like TPS issue glad we could help hopefully it gets fixed soon and happy boosting forever!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Well, if the stock ECU (With UTEC unplugged) could not solve the issue, than it sounds like a bad TB. The TB is very fragile...one drop from waist level, and its done.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:43 AM
nissansource

Well, if the stock ECU (With UTEC unplugged) could not solve the issue, than it sounds like a bad TB. The TB is very fragile...one drop from waist level, and its done.

Ouch didnt know they where that sensitive musta happend to you ? whoopps

here i am tossing mine like a frisssbe hahaha jk
Old 10-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by nissansource
Ouch didnt know they where that sensitive musta happend to you ? whoopps

here i am tossing mine like a frisssbe hahaha jk
haha..no..I havent dropped mine, but TB's are notoriously touchy and sensitive devices, just like O2 sensors.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:54 AM
nissansource

haha..no..I havent dropped mine, but TB's are notoriously touchy and sensitive devices, just like O2 sensors.

True just didnt know that sensative. either way easy diagnosis on this one.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:06 PM
failsafe306

and I think a code or two about the brakes or slip?
Could it be the VDC doing something strange? Doesn't VDC cut throttle when it thinks you're slipping or out of control? I'd try unplugging that module from underneath the dash by the steering column and see what happens. Couldn't hurt...

Quick Reply: Troubled Built TT - please help.